You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Would you lay this down?

edited July 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy

I played in the new 500 deepy yesterday.
Having started well my set of 4's was rivered by a straight and i lost a decent amount of my stack. I went fairly cautious from here but had some nice cards which got me getting back towards my starting stack. At the first break i was back up to around 4k and reasonably happy with my play.

Not long into play after the break i was in position to a raise from a solid player with 88

IRISHROVER Small blind  40.00 40.00 5857.50
brandygirl Big blind  80.00 120.00 6547.50
  Your hole cards

MASSIE29 Fold     
lebuff69 Fold     
FITF3 Raise  240.00 360.00 4570.00
rubes Call  240.00 600.00 3985.00
IRISHROVER Fold     
brandygirl Fold     
Flop

FITF3 Bet  560.00 1160.00 4010.00
rubes Raise  1120.00 2280.00 2865.00
FITF3 Call  560.00 2840.00 3450.00
Turn

FITF3 Check     
rubes Bet  960.00 3800.00 1905.00
FITF3 All-in  3450.00 7250.00 0.00
rubes All-in  1905.00 9155.00 0.00
River

• Q

FITF3 Show

rubes Muck

FITF3 Win Straight to the 9 9155.00  9155.00
It probably should of been an easy laydown but my thoughts were that the initial raise could contain hands like
AA,KK,QQ,AQ,JJ etc I certainly didnt think i was gonna lose with a set to a straight again

If id had longer to make my decision i would of probably folded, but with only 15 seconds i decided it was an overpair representing the straight.

Regardless of my play (im sure it will be critcised) what would you differently on each street?
thanks for your comments

Comments

• edited July 2009

I think you might be able to get away from this when he flat calls your re-raise on the flop, and then check raises you on the turn.

• edited July 2009
    with 4 cards to the straight and he check raises all in then its obvious he has it but after your bet on the turn i think you was commited to calling the rest of your stack all in.

the key is the check by him on the turn, did you not think at all that he might be trapping? after all you said he was a fairly solid player.

If it was me I would probably have checked behind since it is a danger card with 4 to the straight on the board and after he called your raise after the flop - no re-re-raise means you could possibly rule out AA,KK after that. Then depending on what he does on the river re-evaluate, he would probably put in a meaty value bet so then you either decide if he has AA, KK ect or if he has the straight.
  • edited July 2009
    You chould either have flat called on the flop or if u r gonna raise then make it bigger cos he was getting 4/1 on his money to call the min raise on the flop, more than enough to draw to the straight.
  • edited July 2009
    Pre-Flop: Fine

Flop: This is just a personal preference and I don't really have any reason for this but I despise the minimum raise and it's a play that I pretty much never make, so I would not have done that. I'd probably be willing to just call there, the only cards we don't like are T, 9 and 5 and we have every other holding close to drawing dead, so I'm happy to peel one off.

Turn: We're never getting a worse hand to call us here. If villain was c-betting with AK/AQ he's always passing (unless he has a FD but he might have led with that), and I think our villain is good enough to pass an overpair. We're better off checking behind and saving money against 99 aswell as possibly earning another bet from 2 overs or an overpair.

As played: It's a tough one to lay down IMO because even if we are behind we've got the redraw to the House. But, I think villain has literally turned his hand face-up with his play on the turn especially. Put it this way: is he ever check-raising with an overpair? No. Is he ever check-raising with 2 overs and a FD? Probably not since you've shown so much strength and he must know he's always being called. Is he check-raising with a worse set? I think we can factor this within his range, but he's only going to show up with that 20% of the time at a stretch IMO. This makes it a fold for me. Pot-Comitted you may be, but you still have 2k which is enough to bounce back with.

EDIT: BTW, what was your reasoning behind betting less on the turn than you bet on the flop? If that was to induce a bluff then you kind of have to call since you got what you wanted, but hoping your opponent will bluff there is very wishful thinking IMO. You have just over a pot-size bet, so if you have to bet then it should be all-in, but i'd still prefer to check behind.
  • edited July 2009
    the minraise on the flop is so bad. You owned yourself. You could have just typed in chat you had a set, he still would have been right in calling. You allowed him to play perfectly against you. If you raise more you let him make the mistake by calling. Also calling the flop is bad when theres a ton of turn cards which kill your action or give you the 2nd best hand.

Check behind on the turn. Its like you didnt even care it was one of the worst cards in the deck for your hand.