You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Playing Cash Beginner

edited January 2014 in Poker Chat
Hi All (This is not a Diary)

Recently I have built up a sizeable BR and this month I have gained around 1500 points so about £15 in sky rewards.

I have only ever dabbled a little in cash now and again as I rather play MTTs and STTs.

But would like to start playing a little more. So was thinking of playing cash with my bonus when it comes in but would like to research and read up more on it.

Since I have £15 coming I am only allowing myself 4 BIs at 4nl just perhaps playing 2 tables. I aim to play these along side the happy hours just to try and get a few more points. I do not mind losing this £15 as it is a bonus after all but would like to at least double it. If it works out I might do this with my bonus every month. 

Could anyone give me a few tips to get me started. I am thinking tight is the best.

Also I remember a while back Mr Dohhhhhh had a good blog on how to play low stake cash games does anyone have a link to this.

Comments

• edited January 2014
    To be honest your not giving your self much room for winning,
     4 Bis at NL4 is aksing to go broke in all honest especially over 2 tables.

You will have to run pretty darn good to build a roll as you wont get to much credit at that level.

All i can say is bet your hands big as most the time you will get payed light.

If you plan on doin this on a month to month basis why not just deposit then you wont have the thoughts of losing those 4 bis.

Youd have to put in some insane hours only 2 tabling 4NL to achieve 1500 points this month.

But all the best.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Playing Cash Beginner:
    To be honest your not giving your self much room for winning,  4 Bis at NL4 is aksing to go broke in all honest especially over 2 tables. You will have to run pretty darn good to build a roll as you wont get to much credit at that level. All i can say is bet your hands big as most the time you will get payed light. If you plan on doin this on a month to month basis why not just deposit then you wont have the thoughts of losing those 4 bis. Youd have to put in some insane hours only 2 tabling 4NL to achieve 1500 points this month. But all the best.
    Posted by kidwiz10
    Hi Kidwiz

I didn't say I wanted to generate 1500 points by doing this. I gained 1500 pts playing this month so I have 15 quid coming.

I don't have to deposit as my BR is healthy. I will be playing my normal DYMs to hopefully keep my BR going upward.

I just wanna try cash as I never really play it. If I lose my 4 BIs I will continue to play my normal pokers (Dyms and MTTS)
  • edited January 2014
    My bad read it wrong way lol

If you bankroll is healthy and you want to give cash a fair go then why dont you give your self a proper go at it rather than a small chance with not much room for error?

If your only trying it to see how it goes then of course by all means do what your doin.
  • edited January 2014
    If you want to give cash a go I don't see no reason why £15 won't be enough for you. Yeah, you could get unlucky or play bad and lose it but you could just as easily make a profit early and not look back. 

What I would say is play two tables, watch your opponents and play tight early and then when you feel more comfortable just play your game and see what happens. 
  • edited January 2014
    If you want to give cash a go I don't see no reason why £15 won't be enough for you. Yeah, you could get unlucky or play bad and lose it but you could just as easily make a profit early and not look back.  What I would say is play two tables, watch your opponents and play tight early and then when you feel more comfortable just play your game and see what happens. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Hi Craig

played with you before 3.30 BH you put me out in 4th, you got lucky with that AK vrs my A10 lol

been reading your posts keep up the good work.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Playing Cash Beginner : Hi Craig played with you before 3.30 BH you put me out in 4th, you got lucky with that AK vrs my A10 lol been reading your posts keep up the good work.
    Posted by stuarty117
    Hi - Thanks. Yea, sorry, My AK's never usually win against another A. Sorry about that. :)

Good luck, hope you do well.
  • edited January 2014
    Hi Stuart,

Cash is a big move (a move I've never comtemplated so I'm sure I'm not the best to give advice). It seems no harm as I'm sure you will be disciplined and the most you can lose is your bonus. 

I would have thought cash is for the aggressive type of player with big bankrolls (not saying thats not your game as I dont know your game). I imagine bankrolls for cash players can be very volatile so if your a bankroll nit (like myself) then cash might not be for you.

I would ask what your long term goal is. If you want more variety to challenge yourself then yes thats understandable. 

If your focus is on building your bankroll I would say if its not broke dont fix it. Your profit/loss graph on sharkscope is commendable and I love to see people turn things around. I think you should stick at what your doing for the last 6 months and put that graph in a stronger position.

Either way I will continue to support you and watch your progress.
    Good luck at the tables for 2014!

Ger
  • edited January 2014
    Hi Stuarty.

Like you in the past I have built up bankroll splaying STTs and MTTs - I have also managed to lose them playing NL cash.

I totally empathise with the desire to branch out and try new things - just be sensible and disciplined with the bankroll and don't expect too much with 4 BIs.

When I fancied a change from my STT challenge I found PLO8/Omaha STTs an interesting diversion.

NL Cash can be brutal - you want to be playing for stacks as favourite in a hand but that can be very very swingy!
  • edited January 2014
    Hey Stuarty,

Good luck.

Well done on buildin a good bankroll.

I would set aside £40 quid, 10 bi's for 2 tabling 4nl, just gives you a bit more leverage.

If you stick to your game as it is you will do abosultely fine.

Play tight and aggressive, and when you are starting out i'd say keep bluffing to a mininimum.

Good luck
  • edited January 2014
    Hi all

Tried tonight
    01 Jan '14 at 23:08PokerBelton£-1.38£0.00InternetHand History
    played for nearly an hour lost most of the 1.38 getting Aces cracked by a low stack with AJ, yes 2 Js on the flop.

I don't know if I enjoyed it

I actually enjoy DYMs a lot of people find them boring and think its not poker.

But anyway so just have around 14 quid left to have a dabble.

To Gerardirl

Been having a little rough patch with DYMs especially the 3.30s think I lost like 9 in a row. So wanted try something else just on the side. Bit of a dent on the 5.50s but they are now back on track.