You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Rebuy Open...

edited January 2014 in Poker Chat
In the very first hand of the tournament, I won the blinds by raising pocket fives, meaning I was then sitting on 2,030 chips. Meanwhile, ctbn who is sitting to my left, in the small blind, rebuys right away (because he has dropped below the starting stack) and now has 4,000 chips.

Is there a valid argument for chucking in one big blind very early on, in a rebuy tournament to drop me under the starting stack, so I can rebuy instead of having to work it up?

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Yes, I alwaysdo it, I just fold 1st hand and insta re buy as I play better when deeper as can play more agressive and apply more pressure.
  • edited January 2014
    You can rebuy on your starting stack, you don't need to drop below it...

I don't personally rebuy straight away, I don't see the point. Who are you going to get 4000 chips from if you're the only one to rebuy? You are only ever playing as deep as the shortest stack in the hand.
  • edited January 2014
    Well no, if you enter a hand with a player with more chips than you you're playing as deep as your stack, but if you could have bought more then you'd be as deep as him and could potentially win more.

The interesting bit is when you're just above starting stack at the END of the rebuy period, trying to lose a few chips so you can rebuy then add-on haha.
  • edited January 2014
    rebuy str8 away is a must imo covers the table and if a few others do the same and ya in a hand aa v kk u get 8k chips instead of 4 k

i think its a must rebuy to do str8 away imo
  • edited January 2014
    Well I'm out in 206th anyway, so I'm now sulking.
  • edited January 2014
    Out 130th, AA < KK AIPF for 22k. Eurgh. No fair. Marathon not a sprint.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Rebuy Open...:
    Well no, if you enter a hand with a player with more chips than you you're playing as deep as your stack, but if you could have bought more then you'd be as deep as him and could potentially win more. . . The interesting bit is when you're just above starting stack at the END of the rebuy period, trying to lose a few chips so you can rebuy then add-on haha.
    Posted by bbMike
    think the latter is pointless. 6k chips is plenty and 2k more isn't going to increase your chances of winning that much
  • edited January 2014
    CrUsHiNg it :)  heres the hand sik flop

Small blind         500.00     500.00     29538.48
    hurst05     Big blind         1000.00     1500.00     13970.76
          Your hole cards   
    J
    J

ctbn     Fold               
    GSmith13     Fold               
    mckie00     Raise         2000.00     3500.00     28896.16
    plywood     Fold               
    IDONKCALLU     Call         1500.00     5000.00     28038.48
    hurst05     Fold               
    Flop

J

IDONKCALLU     Check               
    mckie00     Bet         2000.00     7000.00     26896.16
    IDONKCALLU     Call         2000.00     9000.00     26038.48
    Turn

IDONKCALLU     Check               
    mckie00     Bet         4000.00     13000.00     22896.16
    IDONKCALLU     Raise         10000.00     23000.00     16038.48
    mckie00     All-in         22896.16     45896.16     0.00
    IDONKCALLU     All-in         16038.48     61934.64     0.00
    mckie00     Unmatched bet         857.68     61076.96     857.68
    IDONKCALLU     Show   
    J
    J
    mckie00     Show   
    River

IDONKCALLU     Win     Three Jacks     61076.96         61076.96
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Rebuy Open... : think the latter is pointless. 6k chips is plenty and 2k more isn't going to increase your chances of winning that much
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Yeah, you might be right, it's an extra 10BB at that point, but a fair difference playing 40BB to 30BB, which after a level would be 27BB or 20BB. Not sure.
  • edited January 2014
    i feel really ill on tilt this hand was for chip leader in the main i feel proper sick
    rob12345Small blind 800.00800.0031471.25Jonesy1066Big blind 1600.002400.0041168.76 Your hole cardshttps://www.skypoker.com/img/site/spade.gif''); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: #ffffff; display: block; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="spade">5https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/club.gif''); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: #ffffff; display: block; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="club">5   FarmboyCall 1600.004000.0094546.61IDONKCALLUCall 1600.005600.0066805.40https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/hhdealer.gif''); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; background-position: 100% 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="dealer">jawzindawzFold    rob12345Call 800.006400.0030671.25Jonesy1066Check    Flop  
    • https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/spade.gif''); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: #ffffff; display: block; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="spade">3
    • https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/diamond.gif''); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: #ffffff; display: block; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="diamond">5
    • https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/heart.gif''); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: #ffffff; display: block; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="heart">3
       rob12345Check    Jonesy1066Check    FarmboyBet 6400.0012800.0088146.61IDONKCALLUCall 6400.0019200.0060405.40rob12345Fold    Jonesy1066Fold    Turn  
    • https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/heart.gif''); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: #ffffff; display: block; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="heart">6
       FarmboyCheck    IDONKCALLUBet 8000.0027200.0052405.40FarmboyCall 8000.0035200.0080146.61River  
    • https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/spade.gif''); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: #ffffff; display: block; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="spade">2
       FarmboyBet 26400.0061600.0053746.61IDONKCALLUAll-in 52405.40114005.400.00FarmboyCall 26005.40140010.8027741.21FarmboyShow
    • https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/club.gif''); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: #ffffff; display: block; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="club">6
    • https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/spade.gif''); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: #ffffff; display: block; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="spade">6
       IDONKCALLUShow
    • https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/spade.gif''); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: #ffffff; display: block; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="spade">5
    • https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/club.gif''); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: #ffffff; display: block; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="club">5
       FarmboyWinFull House, 6s and 3s140010.80 167752.01
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Rebuy Open...:
    In the very first hand of the tournament, I won the blinds by raising pocket fives, meaning I was then sitting on 2,030 chips. Meanwhile, ctbn who is sitting to my left, in the small blind, rebuys right away (because he has dropped below the starting stack) and now has 4,000 chips. Is there a valid argument for chucking in one big blind very early on, in a rebuy tournament to drop me under the starting stack, so I can rebuy instead of having to work it up?
    Posted by Slipwater
    Hi Brian
    yes its the man in question,,, i always take a rebuy straight away ,or within the first 5 mins, i think it gives you a good start , and a perfect chance to play more hands early on, get involved with another player
    you have him covered.

hope this makes sense

MR colin to you,,,lol
  • edited January 2014
    ...yes, I usually do this as well, Colin, but if you happen to win that first hand you can't do that, which is a little annoying.

PS - thanks for knocking me out you big galoot!
  • edited January 2014
    Deffo rebuying 1st hand in a rebuy, it's the optimal way to play imo. Doesn't even matter if no1 else on the table does it, what matters is that if you stack someone in the 5th hand or whatever, you don't have 4k chips, you have 6k.

Also it's much better to be able to have everyone on the table covered.

It's annoying thing that only happens on Sky tbh Slip (as you prob know). On every other site I've played you can rebuy before the 1st hand even starts, on Sky you can't rebuy until the 1st hand has been dealt, so if you're in the BB and get a walk, it's VERY annoying.
  • edited January 2014
    I hate picking up a playable first hand.

I know I could just fold it but meh.
  • edited January 2014
    It's pretty much thought of the correct thing to do is rebuy straight away.
  • edited January 2014
    i always do it m8
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Rebuy Open...:
    In the very first hand of the tournament, I won the blinds by raising pocket fives, meaning I was then sitting on 2,030 chips. Meanwhile, ctbn who is sitting to my left, in the small blind, rebuys right away (because he has dropped below the starting stack) and now has 4,000 chips. Is there a valid argument for chucking in one big blind very early on, in a rebuy tournament to drop me under the starting stack, so I can rebuy instead of having to work it up?
    Posted by Slipwater
    IMO, first hand you can fold a marginal spot. Sometimes I will even fold the J2 suited so I can make the extra rebuy. It does depend on your strat/playing style but for me I want to play as deep as possible.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Rebuy Open... : IMO, first hand you can fold a marginal spot. Sometimes I will even fold the J2 suited so I can make the extra rebuy. It does depend on your strat/playing style but for me I want to play as deep as possible.
    Posted by MattBates
    Yes, those premiums are hard to come by.
  • edited January 2014
    [QUOTE]...yes, I usually do this as well, Colin, but if you happen to win that first hand you can't do that, which is a little annoying. PS - thanks for knocking me out you big galoot!
    Posted by Slipwater

Ooh, galoot. Like that.

The dictionary defines "galoot" as.....

n. a big, dumb, rather oafish man

Are you suggesting CTBN is any, or all of those three?

Much as I admire your honesty, I'm sorry, but you can't go round referring to CTBN as a "galoot", flaming is not allowed here. Anyway, it's my job to deal with him.

Here's a CTBN holiday snap. 

• edited January 2014
    ...yes, I usually do this as well, Colin, but if you happen to win that first hand you can't do that, which is a little annoying. PS - thanks for knocking me out you big galoot!
    Posted by Slipwater
    Brian,,,, i luv knocking u oot,,, its a hobby of mine
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Rebuy Open... : [QUOTE ]...yes, I usually do this as well, Colin, but if you happen to win that first hand you can't do that, which is a little annoying. PS - thanks for knocking me out you big galoot! Posted by Slipwater
    Ooh, galoot . Like that. The dictionary defines "galoot" as..... n. a big, dumb, rather oafish man Are you suggesting CTBN is any, or all of those three? Much as I admire your honesty, I'm sorry, but you can't go round referring to CTBN as a "g aloot ", flaming is not allowed here. Anyway, it's my job to deal with him. Here's a CTBN holiday snap.     
    Posted by Tikay10

NICE 1  WEE MAN
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Rebuy Open... : Brian,,,, i luv knocking u oot,,, its a hobby of mine
    Posted by ctbn
    Bring it on, big boy ;)