You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Right or Wrong...?

edited January 2014 in The Poker Clinic
I am a little disgusted with myself. I was in the Primo and there are 28 players left. 26 are paid. Blinds are 500/1,000 and I have 13.5k left. I decide to shove JQ, hoping to pick up the blinds, given that everyone knows the bubble is approaching. It is folded round until I'm called by AQ, which then knocks me out in 28th.

Was I wrong to be shoving here? I really feel it's a good spot, given that I only have 13 bigs.

I think I probably could have waited for another orbit and folded into the cash, but I never want to let the chips just bleed away.

Undecided.

:(

Comments

• edited January 2014

It's probably fine, but mr/folding or even open folding might also be fine or maybe even better options too.

Not really sure how the lack of antes effects our play with these stack depths as I haven't played a lot of mtts on here.

What position were we?

I'm shoving cutoff/button/sb unopened for sure.

Sorry I can't help more, but I wouldn't beat myself up about the shove too much.
  • edited January 2014
    Think button/cut off its a shove. UTG or first position its a fold for me. With 5/6bb I think its a shove from any position

I can't really embellish much more on what DOHHHHHH said, but you can take solace of the fact that you more or less bubbled "going for the win" rather than settling for a min-cash.

Surely this is the aim of tournament poker. We do what we can to give ourselves the best chance of winning the tournament and taking the largest prizes available home. I always say deep in tournaments "If you want to live - you have to be prepared to die". You don't win tournaments without taking chances at times.

If you fold into the money, you might get a little bit of confidence from getting a cash, but you aren't going to get the serious wins that boost your bankroll.

Well played and unlucky in this hand.
  • edited January 2014
    Min/raise fold is better imo (or maybe open folding). 

We probably get shoved on by the same range that would call a shove and we NEVER get called by a worse hand.

People love saying 'I didn't wanna mincash, I was going for the win' but in reality, us stealing 1.5xBB and going to 14.5xBB makes nigh on zero difference in terms of our chances of winning... what would improve our chances are if we double up, but that requires getting called, and when we do get called in this spot we'll be behind literally 100% of the time imo. So by jamming we're looking to steal the blinds (which we probably do just as often with a minraise) OR get lucky.
  • edited January 2014
    Sigh ...yeah, I think I knew it was wrong as soon as I hit the all-in :(
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Right or Wrong...?:
    Min/raise fold is better imo (or maybe open folding).  We probably get shoved on by the same range that would call a shove and we NEVER get called by a worse hand. People love saying 'I didn't wanna mincash, I was going for the win' but in reality, us stealing 1.5xBB and going to 14.5xBB makes nigh on zero difference in terms of our chances of winning... what would improve our chances are if we double up, but that requires getting called, and when we do get called in this spot we'll be behind literally 100% of the time imo. So by jamming we're looking to steal the blinds (which we probably do just as often with a minraise) OR get lucky.
    Posted by Lambert180
    +1 
    JQ incorrect shoving range with 13bb in EP - folding is best 
  • edited January 2014
    Ship button and SB, probably let it go in other positions.
  • edited January 2014
    i would fold here for deffo 

when u get called ya not gonna be in great shape so might aswell be a bluff

i deffo find a better spot with 13 bigs imo
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Right or Wrong...?:
    I am a little disgusted with myself. I was in the Primo and there are 28 players left. 26 are paid. Blinds are 500/1,000 and I have 13.5k left. I decide to shove JQ, hoping to pick up the blinds, given that everyone knows the bubble is approaching. It is folded round until I'm called by AQ, which then knocks me out in 28th. Was I wrong to be shoving here? I really feel it's a good spot, given that I only have 13 bigs. I think I probably could have waited for another orbit and folded into the cash, but I never want to let the chips just bleed away. Undecided. :(
    Posted by Slipwater
    plenty enough to wait for a better spot, but not enough to make big hands fold. so unless unopened on the button or sb it's in the bin

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Right or Wrong...?:
    In Response to Right or Wrong...? : plenty enough to wait for a better spot, but not enough to make big hands fold. so unless unopened on the button or sb it's in the bin
    Posted by GELDY
    Haha - yes, I realise this now, Gelders! Of course, I knew it then too, but I guess I was trying to convince myself I didn't make a bit of a booboo one out from the bubble. I've spent the last few days trying to forget about this little faux pas :)
  • edited January 2014
    Table dependant. Min raise fold on tight tables. Straight fold on active tables. Good reason for a min raise is approaching bubble most ppl play face up and you still have a chance of winning a pot with a small c-bet against hands that would call an allin but not continue if they miss the flop. Eg. Small PP and a lot of Broadway hands and Ax.