You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

signal not strong enough to run sky poker!

edited January 2014 in Poker Chat

CAN SOMEONE FROM SKY ANSWER ME THIS....

I get my internet through my landline but during the recent storm the line broke. Ok no problem I thought i'll get a dongle thingy and use that till they fix it......

So my "thingy" is now happily working away showing 2 or 4 bars of coverage.. I can play poker on DTD or 888 but skys download will not connect and if I go in via internet skys page will come up ok but it will not show the table listings on anything, cash, tourny's or sng's.....

Does skys software require a stronger signal? If so is that why there are so many disconnect problems?

apologise for the big writing how the hell I got into that I've no idea!!!

Comments

• edited January 2014
    In Response to signal not strong enough to run sky poker!:
    CAN SOMEONE FROM SKY ANSWER ME THIS.... I get my internet through my landline but during the recent storm the line broke. Ok no problem I thought i'll get a dongle thingy and use that till they fix it...... So my "thingy" is now happily working away showing 2 or 4 bars of coverage.. I can play poker on DTD or 888 but skys download will not connect and if I go in via internet skys page will come up ok but it will not show the table listings on anything, cash, tourny's or sng's..... Does skys software require a stronger signal? If so is that why there are so many disconnect problems? apologise for the big writing how the hell I got into that I've no idea!!!
    Posted by EASYFIX
    I would ask Dohhhhhh this question

He has lots of experience with the dongle thingy. In fact i'm sure I remember a post where he attached his dongle to a satelite dish & put it in the garden.

btw.....can you get compensation from your internet provider for loss of service?
  • edited January 2014
    I used to use a USB dongle until we got broadband installed, Even though I could use other poker sites, listen to music and download videos with it fine, Sky Poker would regularly lose the connection, moreso on the download than the browser version. Their software must have been way, way more sensitive to things than any other internet client I've ever used.
  • edited January 2014

Must be mixed up there Trev.

In fact I pm'd easyfix earlier asking for advice about buying a donkle for back up should I have internet connectivity issues at an important time.

Have never used 1 in my life!

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: signal not strong enough to run sky poker!:
    In Response to signal not strong enough to run sky poker! : I would ask Dohhhhhh this question He has lots of experience with the dongle thingy. In fact i'm sure I remember a post where he attached his dongle to a satelite dish & put it in the garden. btw.....can you get compensation from your internet provider for loss of service?
    Posted by POKERTREV
    Thinking of oynutter?
    Read this....

• edited January 2014
    Donkle was a typo, but I like it ! :)
  • edited January 2014

We do not recommend playing via a dongle - see here for more
  • edited January 2014
    My experience of dongles or "thingys" as I call them is they are not great even just playing a single table the coverage still seems to drop for no apparent reason, if your multi tabling forget it you need a more reliable service...

I've tried "thingys" from Vodafone, 3G and the latest one is from 02 but it is a mini wifi unit not a "thingy" and the coverage is better but as I said previously not strong enough to load sky properly..

My advice would be use them only as a back up but I live in a rural area and it maybe for people who live in the middle of a city they are fine. Both 02 and Vodafone have deals where you can sign up to use there "thingy" on a seven day trial so if its not strong enough take it back before the seven days is past and it costs you nothing....

The best service I've had was from a sat dish but the limit was so low if I played poker on a regular basis and watched film I'd go over the limit and they'd be looking for more money, 3G Irelands national service provider. They are **** and a rip off....

I now have a package from Vodafone for landline and internet for 37.50 euro. its never let me down. It does drop out for a few minutes at 2.10am as I said in another thread, the 3G one use to do the same at around 12.05am... something to do with them doing checks their end... but if you know its gonna happen and then come back on pretty quick you just sit tight for a few minutes...

My question still is directed to sky "is the a minimum speed or signal strength" needed to run sky poker? I still can't run sky this morning yet have no problem running other sites with the main lobby, table and table lobby open.....    
  • edited January 2014
    My experience of dongles or "thingys" as I call them is they are not great even just playing a single table the coverage still seems to drop for no apparent reason, if your multi tabling forget it you need a more reliable service... I've tried "thingys" from Vodafone, 3G and the latest one is from 02 but it is a mini wifi unit not a "thingy" and the coverage is better but as I said previously not strong enough to load sky properly.. My advice would be use them only as a back up but I live in a rural area and it maybe for people who live in the middle of a city they are fine. Both 02 and Vodafone have deals where you can sign up to use there "thingy" on a seven day trial so if its not strong enough take it back before the seven days is past and it costs you nothing.... The best service I've had was from a sat dish but the limit was so low if I played poker on a regular basis and watched film I'd go over the limit and they'd be looking for more money, 3G Irelands national service provider. They are **** and a rip off.... I now have a package from Vodafone for landline and internet for 37.50 euro. its never let me down. It does drop out for a few minutes at 2.10am as I said in another thread, the 3G one use to do the same at around 12.05am... something to do with them doing checks their end... but if you know its gonna happen and then come back on pretty quick you just sit tight for a few minutes... My question still is directed to sky "is the a minimum speed or signal strength" needed to run sky poker? I still can't run sky this morning yet have no problem running other sites with the main lobby, table and table lobby open.....    
    Posted by EASYFIX
    It's not really about signal strength so much (so long as it's reliable) but speed would be a bigger factor. There are various speed tests online you may want to try.
  • edited January 2014
    Speeds enough to stream or download videos but not to maintain a connection to a single poker table?

(this is not an issue for me personally any more, but just would like some clarification as the answers don't seem to add up in my opinion)
  • edited January 2014
    Do sky recommend a minimum download speed? If not would someone give us one if only for a reference point...

If its any help to other people I use speedtest.net to check my internet speed, the best readings I got were using the sat dish. My download speed was around 4.5mb which is more that enough to multi table....

The speed using the voadfone land line are around 2.2-2.5 which as I said previously has never been a problem...

At the moment it is lower but still good enough to run other sites but not sky!!! WHY NOT?
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: signal not strong enough to run sky poker! : It's not really about signal strength so much (so long as it's reliable) but speed would be a bigger factor. There are various speed tests online you may want to try.
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Can you explain this then. I'm on 30Meg with a strong wireless signal have 2 tables open (playing 1 railing 1) and I'm getting lag?
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3210503212
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: signal not strong enough to run sky poker! : Can you explain this then. I'm on 30Meg with a strong wireless signal have 2 tables open (playing 1 railing 1) and I'm getting lag? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3210503212
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    You have a good ping as well,nothing wrong with those figures.
  • edited January 2014
    Judging by Daggs speed test results and the fact that in general it appears these problems don't seem to affect people playing on other sites can sky at least give some suggestions as to how to minimise these problems... don't think any of us are trying to put  sky on the spot its just frustrating for everyone that this problem doesn't  seem to be getting resolved... 
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: signal not strong enough to run sky poker! : Can you explain this then. I'm on 30Meg with a strong wireless signal have 2 tables open (playing 1 railing 1) and I'm getting lag? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3210503212
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    I've just taken the same test, my results are shocking. I have normal home broadband, not a dongle.

I very rarely have problems with sky tables, can comfortably play 6/7/8 at once and never on other sites, yet I can't even stream a youtube video without lag.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3211689519

Something doesn't make sense, technology is a mystery to me.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: signal not strong enough to run sky poker! : I've just taken the same test, my results are shocking. I have normal home broadband, not a dongle. I very rarely have problems with sky tables, can comfortably play 6/7/8 at once and never on other sites, yet I can't even stream a youtube video without lag. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3211689519 Something doesn't make sense, technology is a mystery to me.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    You actually highlight something that is very important.

There are many things that can affect how your device performs, including:

- Specification / age
    - How it's been maintained
    - Software versions (many things in here)
    - Internet (including if it is shared etc)
    - etc...

They are like links in a chain, and affect different products and services in different ways (not just poker). One of these being 'broken' or performing badly can affect a lot of things.

There's more information contained within
    this thread for those who have not seen it.

So you can see it's not as simple as saying 'what speed' or whatever is needed as you could have the worlds fasted and most reliable internet but using an unreliable device (just for example) or software, it would be no good.

Thanks
    Sky Poker
  • edited January 2014
    Judging by Daggs speed test results and the fact that in general it appears these problems don't seem to affect people playing on other sites can sky at least give some suggestions as to how to minimise these problems... don't think any of us are trying to put  sky on the spot its just frustrating for everyone that this problem doesn't  seem to be getting resolved... 
    Posted by EASYFIX
    +1 to this i never have connection issues on any other site i play other than sky.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: signal not strong enough to run sky poker! : I've just taken the same test, my results are shocking. I have normal home broadband, not a dongle. I very rarely have problems with sky tables, can comfortably play 6/7/8 at once and never on other sites, yet I can't even stream a youtube video without lag. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3211689519 Something doesn't make sense, technology is a mystery to me.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    If your paying hard cash for that pathetic BB speed you need TalkTalk to investigate. What you are getting is scandalous.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: signal not strong enough to run sky poker! : If your paying hard cash for that pathetic BB speed you need TalkTalk to investigate. What you are getting is scandalous.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    ha yeh so I've been told.

It does the job though so I've never really bothered doing anything about it until now.

A new router is on the way which is apparently going to fix the problem.

Just hope it doesn't mess everything up :(
  • edited January 2014

Just got the new router.

Not sure how good these results are compared to other peoples but it's an improvement.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3216507455
  • edited January 2014
    Just got the new router. Not sure how good these results are compared to other peoples but it's an improvement. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3216507455
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Massive improvement on dial up, still miles behind fibre optic. Havent you seen the BT adverts with the guy buying BT infinity for his girlfriend for the princely sum of £7.50 per month! 

I am very tempted to switch. Do it through top cashback and its free broadband for the first 4 months !
  • edited January 2014
    Just got the new router. Not sure how good these results are compared to other peoples but it's an improvement. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3216507455
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    For a non fibre optic BB thats not bad now. Average through a phone line is around 3-5.
  • edited January 2014
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    Have used this before?
    Speed is not everything but if you get an 'A' here deffo not your broadband.Depending on browser might have to allow java to run.

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: signal not strong enough to run sky poker! : Have used this before? Speed is not everything but if you get an 'A' here deffo not your broadband.Depending on browser might have to allow java to run. http://www.pingtest.net/
    Posted by belsibub
    Just tried it. Pretty good result I think. [URL=http://www.pingtest.net][IMG]http://www.pingtest.net/result/91590832.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • edited January 2014
    Jitter higher than i expected for your speed & ping results & no results for packet loss(guess you don't have java installed).
    link to what it all stands for...

This is mine standard sky unlimited(if it works never tried posting before)