You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is he ever doing this with anything other than the nut flush?

edited January 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Hand History #728641862 (23:25 04/01/2014)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancexSmall blind £0.02£0.02£6.26ballboyBig blind £0.04£0.06£8.33 Your hole cardsQ4   donal1970Fold    Phil_I_AmFold    cain82Fold    xCall £0.02£0.08£6.24ballboyCheck    Flop  8J3   xBet £0.08£0.16£6.16ballboyCall £0.08£0.24£8.25Turn  A   xBet £0.04£0.28£6.12ballboyRaise £0.20£0.48£8.05xRaise £0.80£1.28£5.32ballboyCall £0.64£1.92£7.41River  6   xAll-in £5.32£7.24£0.00                        
Pretty interesting hand above.

Do people think this is more a call or a fold?

Comments

• edited January 2014
    It's almost always a fold to be honest. At that level, I'd say they almost always have the king of clubs there.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Is he ever doing this with anything other than the nut flush?:
    It's almost always a fold to be honest. At that level, I'd say they almost always have the king of clubs there.
    Posted by Slipwater
    That were my thoughts. I decided I was going to call anything up to £1.40 on the river, but when he shoved it just felt like he was trying to push me off a cliff. I somehow clicked the fold button and preserved most of my stack - I hope.
  • edited January 2014
  • edited January 2014
    Raise pre-flop. This is the perfect situation - We know we have position and we know we have one opponent who we know has a weak range. That makes it a raise, in my opinion. C-bet small on all but the wettest flops.

Raise more on the turn. Why is 20p better than 40p?

What range do we think the villain 3-bets on this turn? We beat the Jack and even poor players are going to be afraid that the King or Queen is out. I don't think the Jack 3-bets.

Don't blame you for calling the 3-bet to be honest but I think there are decent arguments to fold there and then. Definitely folding to the river overshove without having seen the villain overvalue hands before. I don't think it's enough to only beat bluffs here.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Is he ever doing this with anything other than the nut flush?:
    Raise pre-flop. This is the perfect situation - We know we have position and we know we have one opponent who we know has a weak range. That makes it a raise, in my opinion. C-bet small on all but the wettest flops. Raise more on the turn. Why is 20p better than 40p? What range do we think the villain 3-bets on this turn? We beat the Jack and even poor players are going to be afraid that the King or Queen is out. I don't think the Jack 3-bets. Don't blame you for calling the 3-bet to be honest but I think there are decent arguments to fold there and then. Definitely folding to the river overshove without having seen the villain overvalue hands before. I don't think it's enough to only beat bluffs here.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    On the turn I don't think I can ever fold really. I feel he has a flush (King high perhaps), but I have to call just incase he is playing fit with a slightly lower club than mine. My intention is to re-evaluate on the river.

I had in my mind at this point a figure which I would call in my head and if his bet exceeded that figure I would assume he is making an attempt to "push me off a cliff" so to speak having only the King of clubs. I don't think he can bet with this much vigour and confidence with any other club. I could be completely wrong, but its a play many people make where he feels I have a large club and he is taking a cheap shot at trying to obtain my whole stack with a few clicks of a button. Fortunately I didn't oblige here.
  • edited January 2014
    Whether he had the king of clubs this time is almost irrelevant, because most of the time, this river shove says he does have it. You think he does it with the ten of clubs? Possibly, but highly unlikely.

He bet the turn, then re-raised you. He is telling you he has the king.