You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thoughts on my river decision?

edited January 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Got a hand here vs a Villain @ 5.25 HU turbo. Played vs him quite a bit no solid notes but know he is quite weak. The sort of villain who will occasionally jam the pot button a ton or donk shove his stack on the flop with air.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancexSmall blind 15.0015.001015.00nickd49931Big blind 30.0045.00940.00 Your hole cards10Q   xRaise 45.0090.00970.00nickd49931Call 30.00120.00910.00Flop  K5J   nickd49931Check    xCheck    Turn  A   nickd49931Bet 90.00210.00820.00xCall 90.00300.00880.00River  10   nickd49931Bet 180.00480.00640.00xAll-in 880.001360.000.00
At the time of the hand I was heavily leaning towards checking river and calling pretty much any bet. Thinking he might bet his one spade hands that missed and possibly bet his two pair hands but not entirely sure? Ending up carrying on river though.  Was hoping for advice on the most optimal way of playing this spot?

Check call any size?
Check call bet upto like a PSB?
Bet call?
Bet fold?

Comments

• edited January 2014

I'd rule out anything that involves folding.

I like to lead river, we're looking for 'finnish' value though, and also against a player like this as described who has shown he's capable of doing really weird/spa z zy stuff (I know the type) he can easily jam worse.

I'd bet/call smallish, around 135.

He can call with lots of 1 pair stuff v that size and also turn some hands into bluffs (accidentally or on purpose) as we 'look weak'.

edit* against this sizing, I'd be a little worried, as his rangte when shoving over a bet which is more than half pot is likely to be stronger than when he shoves over a small bet, but I'm still calling it off.

Pre flop, flop, and turn all fine obv.

• edited January 2014
    Thanks for your input. Think looking back sizing on river is a bit on the big side if im hoping for thin value vs his 1 pair hands etc.

The thought didn't come to be during the hand but a while later when discussing with a mate, I'd say that pretty much all players similar to this type never ever bluff jam over a bet that strong on the river. They do spa zz but doesnt feel like they do it in this spot that often at all. (Not sure how accurate this is but just yet to really see it in the games i've played at this level)

That being said and say now my read in future is that its almost always a chop or we are sometimes beat do we still just call? 

For what its worth I did call (flopped flush obv) and like you said I struggle to ever fold in this spot.