You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Turbo Tuesday Night Live with Sarah and Ryan *****register for last longer here*****

edited January 2014 in Poker Chat
Happy New Year!  It's me and king of the multitable/pearly whites Mr Ryan Spittles for your Turbo Tuesday - sign up here for the last longer comp, free entry into Thursday's Bounty Hunter up for grabs...

How was your new year?  I spent New Years Day nursing the mother of all hangovers after a night's pub crawling in the village of Polperro, Cornwall - managed a bit of recreational play with a few friends in the cottage we rented though (no broadband or wifi! - shocker!) a good time was had by all and it got me thinking...

We talk about 'ABC Poker' a lot but how do we make it easy as ABC 123 doh ray me, etc.

I was attempting to pass on a few tips to a friend there, he's a recreational, few mates over for poker nights kinda player so my ABC tips were

A) The importance of position
B) Playing the table as well as the hand
C) Understanding variance - some you win some you lose, it's about the long game...

Those were the three I saw as worth passing on to a newbie but what are your top 3?  Give us your ABC's I've just seen in another thread that Ryan knows nothing about poker so p'raps we can all learn something ;-)

Here's the show run down then:

7pm – 8pm – Tonight On Sky Poker

20K Super Roller final table highlights from Sunday 5th January.

8pm – 9pm – Turbo Tuesday

Live coverage from the 5K TURBO OPEN

9pm – 11pm – Master Cash

Live action from the Master Cash tables.

11pm - Midnight – Turbo Tuesday

Live coverage from the 5k Turbo Open  – final table

See you from 7!

Sarah xx

Comments

• edited January 2014

Hi Sarah ~ Hangover New Year to you too ~

I love January 1st so for me celebrating is a brisk morning walk after an early night! Booooooooooooooring.

ABC tips

A) Never play drunk. You'll be the chimp at the tea party.
    B) Never play hungry. Carbs win.
    C) Never play in just your pants. It's bad manners.

Would love to catch a show sometime,

p'raps the final table from 11pm!

pseudocarp

• edited January 2014
    Hi Sarah,
    Happy New Year to you(Already wished Ryan)

My tips would be: 1. Position is important when you call!
                                  2. Know your ABC of Poker
                                   3.I am a great believer in Statistics(Read Odds and Probabilities by Matthew Hilger.) There are positions when you can play almost any 2 cards and have a chance of winning the hand(especially when it comes to Heads Up!)
                                    4.Play within your means and you will be able to take on the Goliaths of this world.
                                     5.Most important enjoy your game.

• edited January 2014
    In the last longest please!
  • edited January 2014
    Hi folks - glad you had a... productive New Year!

I reckon - and you can call me crazy if you like - that when playing online, it's not a bad idea to talk out loud as you process your thinking in tough spots. Saying it is much more likely to solidify your play and funnel you in the right direction than simply doing it. It's amazing how much clearer you think when you vocalise those thoughts.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Turbo Tuesday Night Live with Sarah and Ryan *****register for last longer here*****:
    Hi Sarah ~ H angover New Year to you too ~  I love January 1st so for me celebrating is a brisk morning walk after an early night! Booooooooooooooring. ABC tips A) Never play drunk. You'll be the chimp at the tea party. B) Never play hungry. Carbs win. C) Never play in just your pants. It's bad manners.   Would love to catch a show sometime,   p'raps the final table from 11pm! pseudocarp
    Posted by pseudocarp

Ha ha!  Love it!

You talk a lot of sense my friend!  

Not least of all about January 1st... we all wish each other Happy New Year but a whole load of us start it feeling pretty far from happy!  Must've been something I ate... ;-) 

Sx 

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Turbo Tuesday Night Live with Sarah and Ryan *****register for last longer here*****:
    Hi Sarah, Happy New Year to you(Already wished Ryan) My tips would be: 1. Position is important when you call!                               2. Know your ABC of Poker                                3.I am a great believer in Statistics(Read Odds and Probabilities by Matthew Hilger.) There are positions when you can play almost any 2 cards and have a chance of winning the hand(especially when it comes to Heads Up!)                                 4.Play within your means and you will be able to take on the Goliaths of this world.                                  5.Most important enjoy your game.

I second number 5 every day!  And twice on sundays...

Thank you Sir, best of luck for the last longer 

Sx

• edited January 2014
    Hi folks - glad you had a... productive New Year! I reckon - and you can call me crazy if you like - that when playing online, it's not a bad idea to talk out loud as you process your thinking in tough spots. Saying it  is much more likely to solidify your play and funnel you in the right direction than simply doing it . It's amazing how much clearer you think when you vocalise those thoughts.
    Posted by Slipwater

Interesting!  Not something I've tried as yet but I'll admit I quite often hear the analysts in my head when I play, I'll hear tikay saying 'well if he's got the king good luck to him' that kind of thing!

Sx

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Turbo Tuesday Night Live with Sarah and Ryan *****register for last longer here***** : Ha ha!  Love it! You talk a lot of sense my friend!   Not least of all about January 1st... we all wish each other Happy New Year but a whole load of us start it feeling pretty far from happy!  Must've been something I ate... ;-)  Sx 
    Posted by Sarah_C
    I believe today is known as 'Blue Monday' most depressing day of the year .. so
    take some comfort in that. =)

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Turbo Tuesday Night Live with Sarah and Ryan *****register for last longer here***** : I believe today is known as 'Blue Monday' most depressing day of the year .. so take some comfort in that. =)    
    Posted by pseudocarp
    Is that because all the radio stations have to play New Order songs?
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Turbo Tuesday Night Live with Sarah and Ryan *****register for last longer here***** : Is that because all the radio stations have to play New Order songs?
    Posted by cenachav
    Best selling 12 inch single of all time

*music geek*
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Turbo Tuesday Night Live with Sarah and Ryan *****register for last longer here***** : Best selling 12 inch single of all time *music geek*
    Posted by Sarah_C
    2nd is Frankie goes to Hollywood with Two Tribes :)  
  • edited January 2014
    "Those were the three I saw as worth passing on to a newbie but what are your top 3?"

Obviously BRM and playing within your means come top of the list
    but as a newbie playing live for the first time

Understanding the value of your chips has to be close to the top - so many colours!!! its easy to mistake 25 value chips for higher denominations! If you take the hand down you're inspired, if you lose the bulk of your stack, you're a numpty!

Playing or folding in the correct order - Its worse than shouting in a library if you make your raise or fold cards before your turn! The evil eyes appear from nowhere!

When you look at your cards, pause before reaching for chips. Its amazing how many newbies give their hands away because they immediately reach for chips when they turn two premium cards in the hole.

Obviously, if the newbie is playing internet poker for the first time. If, they come from the UK, play on Sky Poker in £'s! a currency they understand rather than $'s, Euros, zlotys or latinum from planet Zog etc.

Have a great show
  • edited January 2014
    A Don't play drunk against a sober Redmond Lee
    2 Always play with a smile on your face, it puts the others off
    * Remember you should fold more then you raise and raise more then you call.

Learning how to number a list is purely optional :)

Have fun and run golden everyone
  • edited January 2014

last longer please

• edited January 2014
    last longer please
    happy new year to you both

ABC poker advice
    1. pre-flop if you have a good hand in an unopened pot raise, if not fold - do not limp
    2. post flop try to work out what your opponent might have based on his betting
    3. if your opponent shoves all-in fold unless you have a really good hand ie better than one pair (never managed to do this myself - maybe one of these days)

• edited January 2014
    Great tips Dunmidosh and Geldy! Cena - your 4:56am post did make me smile!  Best of luck in the last longer Aussie - and I know I say it on the show but thanks for keeping us posted on jackpot possibilities as well, very much appreciated.

Sarah xx
  • edited January 2014
    Im striving as i have told others, to incorporate more Coconut in my diet

Theres a direct collreation between eating coconuts and poker profitability

Im aiming to eat 2 a week, and maybe some pineapple

Ill keep you all updated
  • edited January 2014
    In for the last longer please, Sarah :)

I have another tip as well: only play strip poker with women, and furthermore, you should try to ensure that those women are not as good as you are... otherwise, make sure it's a warm night, because it may get a little chilly :)
  • edited January 2014
    Good luck with that Alex

My advice would be: Put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up

*music geek*
  • edited January 2014
    Good luck with that Alex My advice would be: Put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up *music geek*
    Posted by Sarah_C
    Thank you

But to much lime will make it sour, so not to much lime

• edited January 2014
    in for last longer please

GL for the show
  • edited January 2014
  • edited January 2014
    Hi Sarah and Ryan in for the last longer please. 

ABC of poker, lets do it different then.

A is for aggression, If you are not sure whether to raise or call,then raise, your opponent does not fold to a call. 

B is for Bankroll management, play for what you can afford to lose, that way you can always enjoy your poker even if you lose.

C is for Champion, play to win a tournament, the money is front loaded, so playing to win is more profitable in the long run, as well as being more fun.

Sorry Ryan I managed to get Champion in but Spittles eluded me.

Gl all have fun.
  • edited January 2014
    In for the last longer please
  • edited January 2014
    you not having a last longer tonight sarah? when u re watching my ft from sunday I know I made a  mistake to go out but  was more than happy with my cash as with 40players left I was 40th and remained in last position for over 2 hours when we were down to 10 players was gutted as I grinded my short stack realy well but to be fair didn't even think I had a min cash chance way I was going have a great show and good luck all tonight....
  • edited January 2014
    In for the last longer ty
  • edited January 2014
    last longer.......................... please
  • edited January 2014

♫ ..ShE PuT dE LimE in De CoConuT, ShE DranK Dem Bot UP
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Turbo Tuesday Night Live with Sarah and Ryan *****register for last longer here***** : Is that because all the radio stations have to play New Order songs?
    Posted by cenachav

HAH!..
  • edited January 2014
    In the last longer please.
    Is it just a general last longer for the Main?
    Happy New Year to both of you.
    Best wishes. Shaun the Villa fan in Bham