You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can you make good money playing DYMs?

edited January 2014 in Poker Chat
im currently a student and have a lot of spare time. i play £11 DYM's i play two or 3 tables at a time and always seem to do well and boost my bankroll that way. But then i play cant help myself and enter the big tournaments on sky and haven't yet been successful therefore taking my money back down. i have saved a little bit money up to put into my account and was thinking about putting it in and just playing DYMs for a little while. But i dont know if you can make good money doing this?

I would love someone with abit more knowledge on playing DYMs and manging your bankroll could help me. All help would be great. 

Thankyou

Comments

• edited January 2014

Hi Mikey.

With sit n go games you can predict your winnings by looking at expected ROIs.

A 5% roi is very good and most winning players will be around this mark.

5% roi on a £11 game is around 50p profit per game.

If you play 20 games a night, your profit will be a tenner.

Is this good money? It depends on your definition of 'good money'.

I see your roi is 8% in dyms over 100ish games. That's pretty good and gives you a profit of around 80pence per game. (not sure if the rake is included in the ROI calculation)

Up to you how much you play and therefore how many 80ps you can earn. But it should be easy to forecast your expected profits.

gl.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can you make good money playing DYMs?:
    Hi Mikey. With sit n go games you can predict your winnings by looking at expected ROIs. A 5% roi is very good and most winning players will be around this mark. 5% roi on a £11 game is around 50p profit per game. If you play 20 games a night, your profit will be a tenner. Is this good money? It depends on your definition of 'good money'. I see your roi is 8% in dyms over 100ish games. That's pretty good and gives you a profit of around 80pence per game. (not sure if the rake is included in the ROI calculation) Up to you how much you play and therefore how many 80ps you can earn. But it should be easy to forecast your expected profits. gl.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Thanks for your help mate! how do i check my ROI and how many games ive played? so you saying my average profit for the £11 DYMs is 80p a game? im new with all this, i play live more than online but i enjoy the playing the dyms
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Can you make good money playing DYMs?:
    im currently a student and have a lot of spare time. i play £11 DYM's i play two or 3 tables at a time and always seem to do well and boost my bankroll that way. But then i play cant help myself and enter the big tournaments on sky and haven't yet been successful therefore taking my money back down. i have saved a little bit money up to put into my account and was thinking about putting it in and just playing DYMs for a little while. But i dont know if you can make good money doing this?  I would love someone with abit more knowledge on playing DYMs and manging your bankroll could help me. All help would be great.  Thankyou
    Posted by MikeyW94
    Hi Mikey it depends on how often you cash and how many tables you can multi table. i.e

Win rate 58% -> 60p profit per table on average. Assuming each table takes 40minutes and you're 3 tabling them that works out at £2.7 an hour. 

Assuming you play 15 games per day (about 3.5 hours per day) that would work out as £9 a day and £270 per month. The reward points you would get you about £70. So a total of £340 per month. 

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Can you make good money playing DYMs? : Hi Mikey it depends on how often you cash and how many tables you can multi table. i.e Win rate 58% - /> 60p profit per table on average. Assuming each table takes 40minutes and you're 3 tabling them that works out at £2.7 an hour.  Assuming you play 15 games per day (about 3.5 hours per day) that would work out as £9 a day and £270 per month. The reward points you would get you about £70. So a total of £340 per month. 
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Thankyou very much allstar! DOHHHHHHHH said my ROI was 8% (im not sure what this is lol) 

so how would i work out how much i would make (a month) if i played 15 tables a day? 
  • edited January 2014
    multiply your win rate x £20* minus cost of playing a table.

*prize money from winning a £11 dym

i.e. 58% X £20 = £11.6 minus £11 to play table = 60p profit per table. 60p x 15 = £9.

ROI is return on investment (or what you make per game). investment is you're buyin and return is simply your winnings. So ROI of 8% works out at 88p return for £11 tables i.e. 8% X £11. According to sharkscope though your roi for sng £10 tables is 6.1% which works out at 67p per table.

Dohhhh took you're overall sng ROI. Which ROI is more accurate it's hard to know because your sample of 123 games is very very small. I think I read somewhere to get a really accurate figure for you're ROI you need to play 2000 games but after about 1000 games you'll should get a pretty true reflection of your ROI. (+/- 1%)
  • edited January 2014
    Hi Mikey, you can check your stats on www.sharkscope.com and if you select the filter for dym (not sure if you have to be a member to check this filter) but you 5 free searches a day.

What sort of money are you hoping to make?

Im similar to you and a few years ago I decided to stop playing tourneys completely as i was losing what i won on dyms.

Making a profit from dyms takes alot of discipline because some see it as a grind. Personally i just aim to make a small profit every day and try to do well on the leaderboards on sharkscope and yes it can build up over time for sure. I grind because I love playing poker and dont actually see it as a grind at all. It all depends what you mean by good money.

Ger
  • edited January 2014
    multiply your win rate x £20* minus cost of playing a table. *prize money from winning a £11 dym i.e. 58% X £20 = £11.6 minus £11 to play table = 60p profit per table. 60p x 15 = £9. ROI is return on investment (or what you make per game). investment is you're buyin and return is simply your winnings. So ROI of 8% works out at 88p return for £11 tables. According to sharkscope though your roi for sng £10 tables is 6.1% which works out at 67p per table. Dohhhh took you're overall sng ROI. Which ROI is more accurate it's hard to know because your sample of 123 games is very very small. I think I read somewhere to get a really accurate figure for you're ROI you need to play 2000 games but after about 1000 games you'll should get a pretty true reflection of your ROI. (+/- 1%)
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Overall dym roi* :P

I got an avg stake of $16.50 which is around a tenner.

Still, 6% is very good. 99.6% of winning players would be happy with that long term ;)

I got the stats from sharkscope.

It's free for basic searches but to get stats for specific games such as dyms you have to be a member.

If you want something finding out though just post up on here and I or someone else will get them for you.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can you make good money playing DYMs? : Overall dym roi* :P I got an avg stake of $16.50 which is around a tenner. Still, 6% is very good. 99.6% of winning players would be happy with that long term ;) I got the stats from sharkscope. It's free for basic searches but to get stats for specific games such as dyms you have to be a member. If you want something finding out though just post up on here and I or someone else will get them for you.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Sorry to correct you Dohhhhh.
    You don't need to be a member to get stats for specific games.
    Advanced search - sngs - click back to basic search and it will give you your sng stats.
  • edited January 2014
    While we are on the subject of DYM's/Sharkscope, could somebody tell me my ROI for DYMs for 2013 - Present (is this possible). I have played thousands of them and was always very poor but feel like I maybe improving slightly in recent times.

Gl mikey btw I'm playing mainly 5's/11's atm so will no doubt see you on the tables at some point
  • edited January 2014
    Hi Mikey

Yeah, I do think you can make decent money playing Dyms.
    You're never going to get rich quick with them but money can be made.
    Your stats so far are really impressive. Just a little word of warning though. As Jdsallstar said, you really need to have played pretty big volumes before you can really see how you're doing at them.
    I think it would be a decent guide to see what you average per game presently, but no more than that.
    You may well improve your present stats but until you've played a 1000+ games it's pretty difficult to get a true grasp of how you're doing at certain stakes.

Good luck
  • edited January 2014
    Hi Mikey Yeah, I do think you can make decent money playing Dyms. You're never going to get rich quick with them but money can be made. Your stats so far are really impressive. Just a little word of warning though. As Jdsallstar said, you really need to have played pretty big volumes before you can really see how you're doing at them. I think it would be a decent guide to see what you average per game presently, but no more than that. You may well improve your present stats but until you've played a 1000+ games it's pretty difficult to get a true grasp of how you're doing at certain stakes. Good luck
    Posted by Jac35
    Back on already, all book'ed out now lol?!

see i do read your diary :)
  • edited January 2014
    While we are on the subject of DYM's/Sharkscope, could somebody tell me my ROI for DYMs for 2013 - Present (is this possible). I have played thousands of them and was always very poor but feel like I maybe improving slightly in recent times. Gl mikey btw I'm playing mainly 5's/11's atm so will no doubt see you on the tables at some point
    Posted by waller02
    http://imageshack.com/a/img7/3896/qf73.jpg

-----

Sorry Jac, I meant specific, specific games :P

Done on a technicality :(
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can you make good money playing DYMs? : Back on already, all book'ed out now lol?! see i do read your diary :)
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Lol, just had a quick look on iPad to see if anyone might post on the diary, rather than just read my droning :)

Saw a Dym thread and can never resist.
    Hope you're well JD 
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can you make good money playing DYMs? : http://imageshack.com/a/img7/3896/qf73.jpg ----- Sorry Jac, I meant specific, specific games :P Done on a technicality :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    ty dohhhhh. So a definite improvement but still a lot to learn!! Shame it took me 6k games to get the basic grasp of them!
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can you make good money playing DYMs? : Lol, just had a quick look on iPad to see if anyone might post on the diary, rather than just read my droning :) Saw a Dym thread and can never resist. Hope you're well JD 
    Posted by Jac35

Decided to take the night off after having the worst week I've had on sky poker -£200 quid or something :(

Running bad and not playing great either so break was needed. Not flipping well, cooler city and one too many hero calls. Mainly just running bad though - somehow managed to end up with the 4th best hand last night with kk
    and not one of the other 3 had an ace. Very sigh.

On the upside my first golf bets of the season are currently sitting 1st and 2nd half way through their final round :)
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can you make good money playing DYMs? : ty dohhhhh. So a definite improvement but still a lot to learn!! Shame it took me 6k games to get the basic grasp of them!
    Posted by waller02
    You've even got a star lol!!!!!

You're definitely one of the better players at the dym tables! 
  • edited January 2014
    Im not 1 to maon about bad beats usually shrug it of but today has been horrid on dyms

gets to tghe point where ya all in or fold on level 6 and im going all in with ak  aq  or jj and gett called by ace rags n losing my worst dym run ever

so far played 14 £22 dyms only cashed 4 sucks
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can you make good money playing DYMs? : ty dohhhhh. So a definite improvement but still a lot to learn!! Shame it took me 6k games to get the basic grasp of them!
    Posted by waller02
    Sorry for derail Mikey.
    I suppose it's still all about Dyms though, so all good.

Waller
    The stats are great. Not sure that there's a lot to learn for you.
    The games I've played with you recently, you've been really tough to play against.

Dohhhhh
    Didn't mean to be so pedantic 
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can you make good money playing DYMs? : You've even got a star!!!!!
    Posted by jdsallstar
    doh!

I purposely took multiple attempts to take the screenshot at the exact moment where the revolving star looks nothing like a star, and you go and point it out!*

Gotta try and keep these up n coming sickos grounded ;)

*or maybe it was just un/lucky :P
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can you make good money playing DYMs? : You've even got a star lol!!!!! You're definitely one of the better players at the dym tables! 
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Yeah but look at my first 5000 games, shocking. My total ROI is only 1.8%. The big change I made was following advice from devonfish, he said when you are down to the last 4 and it's all in fold time, always be the one shoving rather than calling which is what I tended to do a lot!!

I do enjoy playing them though, some ppl find them boring but when you get down to the last 4 and the blinds are crazy it does give me a buzz.....sad but true!!!

Mikey.......there has been some good advice from dohhh, jac and jd. All the best on the tables mate
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can you make good money playing DYMs? : doh! I purposely took multiple attempts to take the screenshot at the exact moment where the revolving star looks nothing like a star, and you go and point it out!* Gotta try and keep these up n coming sickos grounded ;) *or maybe it was just un/lucky :P
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    haha....the star means nothing atm, we are only 6 days into the year!!! If it is still there in December then I would class it as an achievement.

It wasn't meant as some kinda thin brag I just genuinely wanted to know what my years ROI was because my total one is poor! I am thinking of playing these on a reg basis and wanted to see if I was gonna be wasting my time
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can you make good money playing DYMs? : Sorry for derail Mikey. I suppose it's still all about Dyms though, so all good. Waller The stats are great. Not sure that there's a lot to learn for you. The games I've played with you recently, you've been really tough to play against. Dohhhhh Didn't mean to be so pedantic 
    Posted by Jac35
    Thanks for all the help guys! i dont mind its all relavent to me lol see you's at the tables :)
  • edited January 2014
    Quick question, If I were to play 20 tables a day @£11 dyms for 25 days of the month total 500 tables with a 8% ROI around £0.88 profit per table, total profit of £440 a month, How much rakeback would I get?
  • edited January 2014
    Quick question, If I were to play 20 tables a day @£11 dyms for 25 days of the month total 500 tables with a 8% ROI around £0.88 profit per table, total profit of £440 a month, How much rakeback would I get?
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Hi AAAAAAAAAAA......

This is quite interesting to me, because I've just done (almost) exactly that, & detailed the results in my little Diary every single day. (I mean, I've played over 500 DYM's in a month, NOT made 8%!)

Your question contains 2 red herrings - the profit per table, & ROI, are both completely irrelevant, & not connected, to the Reward Points & Reward Points payments you receive. You get the same Reward Points whether you win or lose.

Anyway.....

For every £11 (£10 + £1) DYM, you ordinarily receive TEN Reward Points.

So, play 500 of them, & you will get 500 x 10 points, = 5,000 points.

5,000 points would entitle you to exactly £100 in Reward Points payment, assuming you were opted in, & entitled to them. 

You can see the "points bands" HERE

Note that if you fall even ONE point short of 5,000, you only get 1.5p per point, so you'd get a shade under £75.

Once you exceed 5,000, then your points become worth two pence each, so 5,000 x £0.02 = £100.00. 

You should also look out for the occasional SNG "Double Rewards Weeks" (or Weekends) which Sky Poker offer from time to time. These make a HUGE difference to the Rewards Points you can earn. It does require a little personal sacrifice to put the extra hours in, or modify the times you play, but it is, arguably, worth the effort. Of course, as we've seen recently, many players expect extra bonuses without making any effort. It DOES require a bit of effort, but you don't seem the kind of chap to be bothered by that.

Good luck.

Incidentally......

It may not be of interest to you, but playing hundreds of these these DYM's every month is all about self-discipline. Many players find it is helpful to them if they keep a little "progress Diary". This can be "private", at home on "WORD" or whatever, or maybe here on the Community. It is a very stranfe thing, but keeping a strict daily record/Diary of progress ticks a lot of psychological boxes, & DOES help you perform better. Probably.    
  • edited January 2014

Mikey.

Think you have had some great advice in this thread, very little to disagree with, & all very helpful. Some Community, this, eh?

One thing, however, I would urge you to consider.  

You asked, & got some great replies, about ROI. 

ROI can get a bit distorted by various things, complicated, & be measured in a variety of ways.

Personally, I'd be thinking more along the "profit per DYM" line, than ROI. 

The thing with Online Poker is that it is hard to equate Online Money with real money, money we jangle in our pocket, ten bob notes, that we can spend in the shops.

If we know we make, say, 50p per DYM, & play 500 per month, it's easy. That's £250, right? And we can buy ourself a new car, or suite of furniture, or whatever, with that £250.

But try going to Tesco or Sainsbury & spending ROI. They don't take ROI.

• edited January 2014
    Thank you Tikay for taking the time to explain.  Was not sure how much the points were worth until now, so thanks for that.
  • edited January 2014
    Mikey. Think you have had some great advice in this thread, very little to disagree with, & all very helpful. Some Community, this, eh? One thing, however, I would urge you to consider.   You asked, & got some great replies, about ROI.  ROI can get a bit distorted by various things, complicated, & be measured in a variety of ways.   Personally, I'd be thinking more along the "profit per DYM" line, than ROI.  The thing with Online Poker is that it is hard to equate Online Money with real money, money we jangle in our pocket, ten bob notes, that we can spend in the shops.   If we know we make, say, 50p per DYM, & play 500 per month, it's easy. That's £250, right? And we can buy ourself a new car, or suite of furniture, or whatever, with that £250.   But try going to Tesco or Sainsbury & spending ROI. They don't take ROI.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    thanks very much tikay! i think your a legend and very funny, when your on the show by the way really respect you! 
    ive taken all this advice on board and had a very good day today winninng 13/15 £11s and £22 DYMs! going to just play DYMs this month and then decide if i want to play online torneys again as i much prefer live tornaments to online. 
  • edited January 2014
    No you can't. Thread/
  • edited January 2014
    table selection is key in dyms 

if u play and u notice a fe gd players avoid them play another 1

and oduble aaa points structurs goes  £5.50  is 5 points £11 is 10 points £22 is 20 points n so on