You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Absurd lack of morality/game etiquette

edited January 2014 in Poker Chat
Firstly, I'd just like to point out that I'm not one to typically post or even comment on such topics. However I am simply dismayed with something I have just experienced with a regular. To avoid a free for all, who 'done' it type arguement, I am going to name and shame the player: *****. 

Background - Me and the individual in question have played around 30-70 hu plo sngs always within the £5-£11 buy-in range, and never any higher. ***** nearly always registers second into the games and I reilliterate, he never plays me higher than £11, even when I'm registered in them. 

I reigster in an £10.50 and a £21 HU SNG. ***** registers me in the £10.50 and we play for around 5-8 minutes, at this point I get disconnected. For a number of minutes I'm away from the game (all the while he blind steals, which fwiw I have no real problem with). 

After he's blinded me down for around 5 minutes I finally get back online, however JUST as I do the £21 HU SNG loads up. And to my amusement ***** had registered in the game solely because I'd disconnected. 

I'm not actually posting this because I lost the games (I actually won both), I just see it as extraordiarily unethic and distasteful. It'd be interesting to see what everyone else makes of the situation.

TL:DR -

Playing HU sng vs regular who never plays me higher than £10.50 buyin
I disconnect for 5 minutes
After around 4 and a half minutes of me being away, play in question registers me at the £21 game which I was still reg'd in

Edit - removed player alias (Sky Poker)

Comments

• edited January 2014
    the 10.50 blind steal i can understand as most do the same dog eat dog so to speak but regging for the 21 game here makes him nothing more than a scummy thief.
  • edited January 2014
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Absurd lack of morality/game etiquette:
    the 10.50 blind steal i can understand as most do the same dog eat dog so to speak but regging for the 21 game here makes him nothing more than a scummy thief.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    I agree with this entirely.
  • edited January 2014

He's obviously not aware of the unwritten rule that returning away players ALWAYS run amazing if they get back in time.

Dirty though, I try to 'steal' any edge I possibly can, and even I wouldn't do this.
  • edited January 2014
    Guy is obvoiusly an idiot, he should of regged the 21£ game after 30secs
  • edited January 2014
    i agree i would blind the player out if he is away but i would not reg for the other game hoping the player is still having problems just really low play
  • edited January 2014
    It's a very very low thing to do and hopefully he feels guilty about it but I doubt it.

Not sure I'm keen on the name and shame either tbh but understand your reasons.
  • edited January 2014
    I cant believe it took him 5 mins to Reg in

what a fish
  • edited January 2014
    lol, thats a new low. I can understand stealing of the blinds, but to rega  game, just to steal your blinds...what a nice guy.

• edited January 2014
    Its completely immoral but that is poker for you..

blind stealing?
    bum hunting?
    multi-accounting?
    obtaining passwords for games you are not eligible for?

im sure there are lots of other examples of immoral behavior in poker some more extreme than others, but when its a game ruled by money it will always attract players of that nature
  • edited January 2014
    He faced Karma and lost.
  • edited January 2014
    Yes I would agree not a very nice thing to do, as pointed out elsewhere Karma got involved and you won both.

Just out of interest why name and shame? If you are ahead against him why stand the chance of antagonising him into not playing you any more? Surely just enjoy grinding him into the dirt, bleed him dry until he loses all his self respect, possessions, house, wife, children and finally throw a party to celebrate the crushed remnants of his being. Sorry I may have got carried away with the vengence bit there!
  • edited January 2014
    Guy is obvoiusly an idiot, he should of regged the 21£ game after 30secs
    Posted by CrazyBen23
    ^^ THIS ^^

But actually..... what THEROCK said, I generally fold the 1st hand then run timer down but steal blinds in the £10.50 game, but regging the higher game just to steal money is pretty low! 
  • edited January 2014
    Yes I would agree not a very nice thing to do, as pointed out elsewhere Karma got involved and you won both. Just out of interest why name and shame? If you are ahead against him why stand the chance of antagonising him into not playing you any more? Surely just enjoy grinding him into the dirt, bleed him dry until he loses all his self respect, possessions, house, wife, children and finally throw a party to celebrate the crushed remnants of his being. Sorry I may have got carried away with the vengence bit there!
    Posted by Enut
    Pretty sure I wouldn't want to play him again regardless of any edge I may have.
  • edited January 2014
    Fwiw...I wouldn't of stolen the blinds either......I also wouldn't of named and shamed....
  • edited January 2014
    Fwiw...I wouldn't of stolen the blinds either......I also wouldn't of named and shamed....
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    Actually..... vs a reg that I play a lot I would probably have waited at least 1 level before stealing.
  • edited January 2014
    Fwiw...I wouldn't of stolen the blinds either......I also wouldn't have named and shamed....
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    I'm not defending regging to steal money.
    but, if there was a reasonable explanation for the action.
    someone has been vilified in public
    which IMO is just as bad
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Absurd lack of morality/game etiquette : I'm not defending regging to steal money. but, if there was a reasonable explanation for the action. someone has been vilified in public which IMO is just as bad
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    he new what he was doing so there is no explanation for the action,hes a thief and deserves to be vilified in public for that.
  • edited January 2014

Don't think anyone should be named and shamed on a public forum like this.

OP may well be correct that was what happened, but 2 sides to every story and all that.

• edited January 2014
    Don't think anyone should be named and shamed on a public forum like this. OP may well be correct that was what happened, but 2 sides to every story and all that.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Correct - we have edited the OP accordingly and the '2 sides' is one of the reasons we dont allow this.
  • edited January 2014
    Almost comical....................etiquette swings both ways
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Absurd lack of morality/game etiquette:
    Firstly, I'd just like to point out that I'm not one to typically post or even comment on such topics. However I am simply dismayed with something I have just experienced with a regular. To avoid a free for all, who 'done' it type arguement, I am going to name and shame the player: *****.  Background - Me and the individual in question have played around 30-70 hu plo sngs always within the £5-£11 buy-in range, and never any higher. ***** nearly always registers second into the games and I reilliterate, he never plays me higher than £11, even when I'm registered in them.  I reigster in an £10.50 and a £21 HU SNG. ***** registers me in the £10.50 and we play for around 5-8 minutes, at this point I get disconnected. For a number of minutes I'm away from the game (all the while he blind steals, which fwiw I have no real problem with).  After he's blinded me down for around 5 minutes I finally get back online, however JUST as I do the £21 HU SNG loads up. And to my amusement ***** had registered in the game solely because I'd disconnected.  I'm not actually posting this because I lost the games (I actually won both), I just see it as extraordiarily unethic and distasteful. It'd be interesting to see what everyone else makes of the situation. TL:DR - Playing HU sng vs regular who never plays me higher than £10.50 buyin I disconnect for 5 minutes After around 4 and a half minutes of me being away, play in question registers me at the £21 game which I was still reg'd in ... Edit - removed player alias (Sky Poker)
    Posted by patwalshh

i wouldnt have removed his alias if i was you, i couldnt care less if people dont agree, if someone stole your birds handbag and was charged his name would be printed in the local paper, i know its slightly different but a thief is a thief in my book.

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Absurd lack of morality/game etiquette : i wouldnt have removed his alias if i was you, i couldnt care less if people dont agree, if someone stole your birds handbag and was charged his name would be printed in the local paper, i know its slightly different but a thief is a thief in my book.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    The problem lies In your sentence "and was charged" u only have 1 side of it therefor being named and shamed is totally wrong
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Absurd lack of morality/game etiquette : The problem lies In your sentence "and was charged" u only have 1 side of it therefor being named and shamed is totally wrong
    Posted by CHILLIE
    i dont think pats going to lie really is he, hes a winning player so i trust his word on this matter, the evidence is stacked against him, he should be locked up in my opinion!!!
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Absurd lack of morality/game etiquette : i dont think pats going to lie really is he, hes a winning player so i trust his word on this matter, the evidence is stacked against him, he should be locked up in my opinion!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    I give up, FOLD
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Absurd lack of morality/game etiquette : i dont think pats going to lie really is he, hes a winning player so i trust his word on this matter, the evidence is stacked against him, he should be locked up in my opinion!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Hey therock,

Pat could well be correct that was the reason he reg'd, but maybe not.

Can't tar and feather someone with out knowing all facts!
  • edited January 2014
    well done on winning both..he got what he deserved
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Absurd lack of morality/game etiquette : I give up, FOLD
    Posted by CHILLIE
    good fold, allways behind
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Absurd lack of morality/game etiquette : Hey therock, Pat could well be correct that was the reason he reg'd, but maybe not. Can't tar and feather someone with out knowing all facts!
    Posted by LARSON7
    hey m8, you are being far to trusting here, this guy is a reg at hu sngs therefore im pretty sure most regs game select and check to see who there playing before regging, he obv knows pat is disconneted yet choses to start a fresh game with him at a stake he usually wont play him at, evidence is mounted in my opinion towards him knowing exactly what he was doing!!
  • edited January 2014
    I named and shamed due to the lack of HU SNG regs on the site, especially that of the omaha variety (I can count omaha regs on one hand). Saying that, I had no idea it was against the rules but would nonetheless value the play in questions input on the matter.