You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Line check

edited January 2014 in The Poker Clinic
gazza127Small blind £0.25£0.25£162.41
xBig blind £0.50£0.75£108.70
 Your hole cards
  • A

gazza127Raise £0.75£1.50£161.66
xRaise £2.50£4.00£106.20
gazza127Call £2.00£6.00£159.66
Flop

• J

xBet £3.50£9.50£102.70
gazza127Call £3.50£13.00£156.16
Turn

xBet £7.50£20.50£95.20
gazza127Call £7.50£28.00£148.66
River

• A

xCheck    
gazza127Bet £40.50£68.50£108.16
xCall £40.50£109.00£54.70
gazza127Show
  • A

xMuck
  • J
  • Q

gazza127WinFull House, 6s and Aces£108.00 £216.16

Thoughts on line against a solid reg?  Obviously river bet was paid off cause i've polarised my bet hugely playing on the fact that no draws came in, representing one of the many missed straight draws.

However question is, against a solid (quite tight) reg is there any value in raising the turn and barrelling river or is the line ive taken OK?

Comments

• edited January 2014
    I cant  comment because that hand would have been mucked pre flop to me
  • edited January 2014
    post flop I think you played it perfectly...

A raise on the turn would represent exactly what you have - a 6, a full house, or air. i much prefer to flat the turn then overbet the river than rr on the turn because it keeps your range alot wider.

the only question I have is whether you should be calling a 3bet with an offsuit raggy ace... even if it is in position.

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Line check:
    post flop I think you played it perfectly... A raise on the turn would represent exactly what you have - a 6, a full house, or air. i much prefer to flat the turn then overbet the river than rr on the turn because it keeps your range alot wider. the only question I have is whether you should be calling a 3bet with an offsuit raggy ace... even if it is in position.
    Posted by chicknMelt

Oh yeah... definitely.  His 3 bet range was widening minute by minute.  The only question was whether I should 4 bet or not.  Im happy to call with Ax IP in this spot v a fair few villains in HU.  I can always represent something better later on...

• edited January 2014
    Very easy fold pre with an off suit rag ace facing a 3bet from a solid reg.

out of interest, before you hit perfect perfect, what is your plan when you call the flop?
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Line check : Oh yeah... definitely.  His 3 bet range was widening minute by minute.  The only question was whether I should 4 bet or not.  Im happy to call with Ax IP in this spot v a fair few villains in HU.  I can always represent something better later on...
    Posted by gazza127

you said he was solid/tight :s

• edited January 2014
    So we are just insta mucking raggy aces HU, in position, when 3bet by a ''solid reg''?
  • edited January 2014
    Staggered you got a call on that river bet, to be honest. Doesn't look tight to me, having seen that. Have we taken this line as a bluff before and shown?

Which weak hands do we rep when we raise the turn? QT? Air?

If not, we'd just be turning our hand over with a raise. Tough to rep any one-pair hands on a dry board, given pre-flop action.

Think you played it fine, assuming your river bet isn't polarised to only strong hands. You've not told us anything about your image. You got a call, though, so... must be fine.
  • edited January 2014
    Very easy fold pre with an off suit rag ace facing a 3bet from a solid reg. out of interest, before you hit perfect perfect, what is your plan when you call the flop?
    Posted by Lambert180

Reassess turn...

Simple as that.  Hard to say as its entirely dependant on which card comes down and what action is given to me...

But disagree with folding pre.  Just because he is 'solid'  doesn't mean his 3 bet range is narrow.  It just means he is a good player who gives very little.  3 betting was occuring about 15-20% of hands during the session IMO.
  • edited January 2014
    Playing over 200BB effective, this has to be the nittiest of players for me to fold my button to a 6bb 3-bet.

"...solid (quite tight) reg" isn't the deepest of reads, to be fair. What we're used to in these parts, of course.
  • edited January 2014
    So we are just insta mucking raggy aces HU, in position, when 3bet by a ''solid reg''?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

imo to a tight player mostly yes, when we're opening a lot there are so many better hands to peel. also a lot of reverse implied odds imo against tight regs. If we can call this profitably, I'd say they're obv not that tight
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Line check : imo to a tight player mostly yes, when we're opening a lot there are so many better hands to peel. also a lot of reverse implied odds imo against tight regs. If we can call this profitably, I'd say they're obv not that tight
    Posted by Lambert180
    Peel if its suited Lambert? ;)

• edited January 2014
    Standard 'ask about post flop play... criticized about preflop play' post.

Sigh.

;)
  • edited January 2014
    Staggered you got a call on that river bet, to be honest. Doesn't look tight to me, having seen that. Have we taken this line as a bluff before and shown? Which weak hands do we rep when we raise the turn? QT? Air? If not, we'd just be turning our hand over with a raise. Tough to rep any one-pair hands on a dry board, given pre-flop action. Think you played it fine, assuming your river bet isn't polarised to only strong hands. You've not told us anything about your image. You got a call, though, so... must be fine.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Many times over the months.  I have quite the table image. ;)
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Line check : Many times over the months.  I have quite the table image. ;)
    Posted by gazza127

yes having played with Gazza a couple of times I can completely understand why he was called on the river.

I'm still not convinced by the peel pre, I think I'd prefer a 4bet. As Lambo said, reverse implied odds and a lack of nuttyness make this a horrible hand. Since you have a blocker ace, I'd be 4betting. I'd peel with hands that flop better.
  • edited January 2014
    Standard 'ask about post flop play... criticized about preflop play' post. Sigh. ;)
    Posted by gazza127
    Post flop it plays itself - Call on the flop is bit dubuious, but understandable, after that its ABC topped off by a donk call on the river by the fish across the table from you
  • edited January 2014
    Pre - Peeling is a bit meh, 200bb deep so not so bad. Can defend with a lot of better hands though imo.

Flop, Turn - Standard (Don't raise turn to answer your question lol)

River - Cool shove bro :)

Edit: Long day at work - Nice river bet lol!
  • edited January 2014
    Lambert just for future reference Solid =/ tight. You can quite happily be a solid LAG :) In fact solid just means good, capable of moves. Some tight players aren't that capable of making moves.
  • edited January 2014
    Tbf he did say quite tight in the OP
  • edited January 2014
    oops missed that!
  • edited January 2014
    FWIW the 'quite tight' bit is only going by 6 max play.  I've never played them HU before... but they were definitely playing a wider range HU (as you'd expect).