You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

TAX DODGERS?????

is it fair to say that pro pkr plyrs are tax dodgers?

Comments

• edited January 2014
    depends on your definition of tax 'dodger'
    there are 2 basic ways (not wholey related to poker), tax evasion and tax avoidance. 
    tax evasion is illegal and carries a jail term in lots of cases.
    tax avoidance is legal and beneficial to the money earner.
    im not a pro poker player, but i do work offshore and if im out of the uk for 183 days a year (inside internationl waters) then i can apply for tax avoidance. seafarers-tax.
    i have not paid tax in 5 years to the uk government on the money i have made in europe/africa/middle east etc. the days i have worked within the uk (very few) i have paid tax on this money.
    i would assume poker players who travel internationally would or could fall into a similar catagory.
    nothing to stop them putting money made overseas into an offshore account and use it for traveling rather than bringing into any country and possibly subject to tax.
    another way of doing it is to take the money into a country with low tax rate (thailand for eg) paying the tax there and then transfering it to their own country.
    so long as its not illegal, there is nothing to justify!
    for the record, im not a tax advisor in any way shape or form so take from the aforementioned information what you will, i do have a fantastic accountant whe does all this for me.

P.S. i dont consider myself to be a tax dodger ;)