You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Report or not report

edited January 2014 in Poker Chat
So situation in below hand is it's on the bubble of a DYM and I am shortie with very small stack of 1290 (only 2BB's). UTG raises pre and I fold. Big blind then types in the chatbox "AK" before calling. He ends up losing the hand anyway when UTG cbets flop.

I pull the villain on it saying he's a cheating trucker. He simply says "whatever" and so from his response and from the tone of a few others afterwards I am 99.9% certain he was letting UTG know his hand and not putting his opponent on a hand or whatever.

Is this a form of collusion? Should I report them?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
sbSmall blind  300.00 300.00 1560.00
CHEATERBig blind  600.00 900.00 4230.00
  Your hole cards

xRaise  1200.00 2100.00 2820.00
jdsallstar Fold    1290.00
xFold     
CHEATERCall  600.00 2700.00 3630.00
Flop

• J

CHEATERCheck     
xBet  1200.00 3900.00 1620.00
showtek Fold     
xMuck     
xWin  2700.00  4320.00
xReturn  1200.00 0.00 5520.00

Comments

• edited January 2014

Players say these sort of things all the time.

Sometimes they are telling the truth.......

One regular in the PLO8 DYM's does it repeatedly. I never believe him.

The same guy, if you raise him, will ask, "you got Aces?".

Not entirely sure why he would ask such a question, or what answer he expects.

It is even worse in Live Poker, I must have heard these convos a thousand times....

You got the King? 

You got the flush?

Will you fold if I raise?

Will you show if I fold?

These people must think we are all stupid.  

• edited January 2014
    But to me he's basically saying I've got AK so don't go crazy because the shorties about to bust!
  • edited January 2014

Reckon this is just a case of a guy not being able to fold AK even though he knows he should. He feels handcuffed by the chip distribution and feels ul that he's been dealt such a big hand that he wants to play and wants people to know.

I know the feeling tbh and do it on other sites.

If I flop 999 on 982 rainbow for example, and the board runs out 10, Jack, and the fella bombs the river.

I feel vul, I have to fold, but I want people to know I've been ul (because I'm a fish) so I'll show the hand before I fold.

A lot of genuine bbv posts are done for the same reason, people want others to show sym/empathy for then when they feel hard done to.

This is probably one of those scenarios.

If it was genuine collusion he'd have no reason to name his hand. He could just peel and c/f.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Report or not report:
    Reckon this is just a case of a guy not being able to fold AK even though he knows he should. He feels handcuffed by the chip distribution and feels ul that he's been dealt such a big hand that he wants to play and wants people to know. I know the feeling tbh and do it on other sites. If I flop 999 on 982 rainbow for example, and the board runs out 10, Jack, and the fella bombs the river. I feel vul, I have to fold, but I want people to know I've been ul (because I'm a fish) so I'll show the hand before I fold. A lot of genuine bbv posts are done for the same reason, people want others to show sym/empathy for then when they feel hard done to. This is probably one of those scenarios. If it was genuine collusion he'd have no reason to name his hand. He could just peel and c/f.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    He stated the hand before he called preflop though. I'm not saying he knew the guy or anything just that he let him know his hand so the other guy wouldn't go to war with him with me being short stacked.
  • edited January 2014
    If he'd said AK then shoved that might be the case.

He's not exactly safe himself here, he can't afford to to be spewing chips like this. More bad play than anything else imo.

fwiw, a mate of mine exchanged emails with sky about the general topic of disclosing your hand in chat, and apparently although they don't encourage it, it doesn't break any rules.
  • edited January 2014
    If it's not against the rules I'm doing this then too lol

i.e. I have decent stack on DYM bubble and there's short stack at the table and I raise to put him in. He actually folds but there's players acting after him - I'm telling them I have 10's, JJ, QQ, KK, AQ, AK etc to discourage calls/shoves.
  • edited January 2014
    Jd
    if it's the player that I'm thinking off, then this is nothing new.
    they do it all the time. I just play exactly the same  way I would normally. I'm yet to see them actually have the hand that they claim to hold.
  • edited January 2014
    Jd if it's the player that I'm thinking off, then this is nothing new. they do it all the time. I just play exactly the same  way I would normally. I'm yet to see them actually have the hand that they claim to hold.
    Posted by Jac35
    It's not mate, he was a new player. Ironically during the first hand he actually informed the table he was leaving Sky because the site was so dodgy lol
  • edited January 2014

Not collusion imo just ridiculously bad DYM play from both villains lol.

• edited January 2014
    If it's not against the rules I'm doing this then too lol i.e. I have decent stack on DYM bubble and there's short stack at the table and I raise to put him in. He actually folds but there's players acting after him - I'm telling them I have 10's, JJ, QQ, KK, AQ, AK etc to discourage calls/shoves.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    I seriously doubt any players will buy stories like that.

It has been happening since poker was invented. It's not good etiquette, but it happens.

In Live Poker, in many UK Venues, you can say what your hand is, during the hand, as long as you....DO NOT TELL THE TRUTH.

Go figure.

Just play your usual game, & ignore all that nonsense, as almost everyone does.

They are just as likely lying as telling the truth, it's just nonsense.

Good luck.   

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Report or not report : I seriously doubt any players will buy stories like that. It has been happening since poker was invented. It's not good etiquette, but it happens. In Live Poker, in many UK Venues, you can say what your hand is, during the hand, as long as you....DO NOT TELL THE TRUTH.   Go figure.   Just play your usual game, & ignore all that nonsense, as almost everyone does. They are just as likely lying as telling the truth, it's just nonsense.   Good luck.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'm talking about doing it when I am telling the truth though.

With a shortie in a dym and I have a comfortable stack I don't want to go to war with another comfortable stack even with hands as strong as I mention.

Problem is when the villain did state his hand I was powerless to do anything as I was so short and realistically had two hands left to play but by letting UTG know his hand he easily could of prevented himself and UTG from clashing and knocking the other out (therefore letting me slip into the money). To me if he'd typed in the chat window "take it easy on each other and we'll just gang up on the shortie" it would have been the same thing.

In a normal tournament or cash game I don't think this has as big of an impact but in a dym (especially on the bubble) I think this can be manipulated very advantageously.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Report or not report : I'm talking about doing it when I am telling the truth though. With a shortie in a dym and I have a comfortable stack I don't want to go to war with another comfortable stack even with hands as strong as I mention. Problem is when the villain did state his hand I was powerless to do anything as I was so short and realistically had two hands left to play but by letting UTG know his hand he easily could of prevented himself and UTG from clashing and knocking the other out (therefore letting me slip into the money). To me if he'd typed in the chat window "take it easy on each other and we'll just gang up on the shortie" it would have been the same thing. In a normal tournament or cash game I don't think this has as big of an impact but in a dym (especially on the bubble) I think this can be manipulated very advantageously.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    So you say "I have 10-10" & so the guy with 9-9 folds. What does the guy with J-J do?

Seriously, JD, (my advice would be....) just play the game normally, & forget all this nonsense. In the long term it will confer no advatage to anyone.
  • edited January 2014
    Says what he has and shoves, doesn't say anything and shoves, says and flats or doesn't say anything and flats.

Either way I believe the vast majority of the time he plays his hand in a really straight forward fashion.

It has to give an advantage - imagine from my example UTG had QQ and the flop came down 10 J Q. How willing would UTG be willing to shove/call a shove on the flop when:

a) BB had said nothing
    b) BB had said he had AK

Also bearing in mind it's on the bubble and the shortie has 2 BB's left.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Report or not report : I'm talking about doing it when I am telling the truth though. With a shortie in a dym and I have a comfortable stack I don't want to go to war with another comfortable stack even with hands as strong as I mention. Problem is when the villain did state his hand I was powerless to do anything as I was so short and realistically had two hands left to play but by letting UTG know his hand he easily could of prevented himself and UTG from clashing and knocking the other out (therefore letting me slip into the money). To me if he'd typed in the chat window "take it easy on each other and we'll just gang up on the shortie" it would have been the same thing. In a normal tournament or cash game I don't think this has as big of an impact but in a dym (especially on the bubble) I think this can be manipulated very advantageously.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    dont think its cheating  .theres a saying in poker .the power of the short stack.in this case the rolls are reversed  lol  gl
  • edited January 2014
    As has been pointed out, if it was collusion and he was trying to chip dump, why would he need to say he had AK, he'd just call pre, and c/f every flop regardless of what he has.

From a collusion point of view, there's no advantage to announcing a hand in the chatbox and then calling like this. If he said AK, then shoved, that would be one thing but then it's down to people to decide whether they should believe him or not.
  • edited January 2014
    I'm with you JD - the villain shouldnt be saying things like this at all - it could influence others decisions. the button could have been about to shove with AQ  for example, but decided against it just in case... even if he wasn't sure whether to believe or not.

The only thing that makes it acceptable, is that he could be lying. it would be different if he was live and turned over his cards for the table to see.

• edited January 2014
    I would like to say that - by this ruling - gazza127 is a cheat, because I played a cash hand against him last night and he typed in the chatbox '10 9', and then proceeded to bluff me off the pot when I chose not to believe him. He turned over the monster 10 9 at the end of the hand to prove it. I think this is outrageous behaviour, poor poker etiquette, and should be stopped!

I would also like the (approximately) £3 I had put into the pot, to be returned to my account.

Thanks.
  • edited January 2014
    lol. u got done.

its different if there are only 2 people in the hand

• edited January 2014
    Two words jamie gold