You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bankroll building/management

edited January 2014 in Poker Chat
Hi all,

Before i start my rant ignore my punctuation wasnt a strong point at school lol. 

So i am relatively new to sky poker, you may have seen me playing as TILTY90 which
is my brothers account but from now on i'll just been playing from this one(TUX198). So basically 
i started playing live/online poker as soon as i turned 18, so just over 2 years now and for duration of
taht time i have been mainly just a recreational player. I mainly play at pokerstars grinding mtt/sng's
but over the past 6months i have took a liking to cash games. About 3 or 4 months back i said to
myself i want to take my game a little more seriously, I feel all n all i have a decent game, which with a few 
tweaks in certain areas i could become a winning player. The areas i want to mention today is building 
a bankroll and mostly Bankroll management. On more than a hundred occasions lol i have lets say either
$600 in my stars account (which ive built up) and i'll play 100nl or if on sky i mainly just want to play the 20nl
or 30nl when i have like 100 pound in my account. As you can see that is a massive %of my bankroll which 
leads to very bad tilt when i have a losing session. 

So after my little rant, if anyone could give me some pointers on building that bankroll and mostly 
maintaining it. I know the general rules of bankroll managent use 5% etc. but i seem to ignore it.
If anyone has some good feedback on this would be very much appreciated and good luck at the tables!

I shall be depositing 50-100 this week.

Comments

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Bankroll building/management:
    So after my little rant, if anyone could give me some pointers on building that bankroll and mostly  maintaining it. I know the general rules of bankroll managent use 5% etc. but i seem to ignore it.Posted by TUX198
    I'm not the greatest advocate of, or indeed authority on bankroll management, but most of the serious players on here (and even some of the not-so serious ones) will tell you - as you have already alluded to - that you are using far too much of your roll and playing stakes that are far too high. You need to either deposit more or considerably lower your buy-in levels..
  • edited January 2014
    you may have seen me playing as TILTY90 whichis my brothers account but from now on i'll just been playing from this one(TUX198).

Multi- accounting??
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Bankroll building/management:
    you may have seen me playing as TILTY90 whichis my brothers account but from now on i'll just been playing from this one(TUX198). Multi- accounting??
    Posted by VespaPX
    Nothing wrong with that on this site, it's what makes it unique.
  • edited January 2014
    If everytime you have a bad run you stand up the table and jump to the higher tables you will never get anywhere.

If you got no discipline then it will never work.

As you already said you have made a bankroll to then go on tilt then lose it , u need to be able to control this and not get carried away.

Im not sure how the money is gunna feel for you playing but if you depositing £50 on here right move would be for cash is to play maybe 2 tables of NL4 even tho your not rolled for it soi would advise depositing £100 and having a full 25 buyins at NL4 to give your sell room if you start off on a bad run.

If you do eventually go on tilt and say have "£50" left then jump on a NL50 table then theres no1 that can give you advise until you learn how to control yourself at the tables.

But goodluck and let us know how you get on , maybe posting your results on here would keep you goin on what your trying to achive.
  • edited January 2014
    you may have seen me playing as TILTY90 whichis my brothers account but from now on i'll just been playing from this one(TUX198). Multi- accounting??
    Posted by VespaPX

no mate ive just played on my brothers account a few times, he uses for sky bet :) so i just played some 
    cash tables for him a few times. so no i do not multi account 
  • edited January 2014
    If everytime you have a bad run you stand up the table and jump to the higher tables you will never get anywhere. If you got no discipline then it will never work. As you already said you have made a bankroll to then go on tilt then lose it , u need to be able to control this and not get carried away. Im not sure how the money is gunna feel for you playing but if you depositing £50 on here right move would be for cash is to play maybe 2 tables of NL4 even tho your not rolled for it soi would advise depositing £100 and having a full 25 buyins at NL4 to give your sell room if you start off on a bad run. If you do eventually go on tilt and say have "£50" left then jump on a NL50 table then theres no1 that can give you advise until you learn how to control yourself at the tables. But goodluck and let us know how you get on , maybe posting your results on here would keep you goin on what your trying to achive.
    Posted by kidwiz10
    Thanks for the feedback. you have have put it in a nut shell. when i go on a bad run i seem to jump to the bigger stakes, hence chasing my money back. I am going to put a lot of effort into control my roll this year and i'll most definitely be playing only the 4nl! Think im going to monitor my roll on a weekly basis playing the 4nl and hopefully see some good results, again thanks for the feedback muchly appreciated.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Bankroll building/management : I'm not the greatest advocate of, or indeed authority on bankroll management, but most of the serious players on here (and even some of the not-so serious ones) will tell you - as you have already alluded to - that you are using far too much of your roll and playing stakes that are far too high. You need to either deposit more or considerably lower your buy-in levels..
    Posted by Slipwater

going to deposit 100 probs then play the 4nl, maybe 2 or 3 tables at a time see how it goes!
    thanks for fb
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Bankroll building/management : no mate ive just played on my brothers account a few times, he uses for sky bet :) so i just played some  cash tables for him a few times. so no i do not multi account 
    Posted by TUX198
    No worries
    GL
  • edited January 2014
    Hey Tux,

Welcome to the forum!

Theres a few good diaries on here of people spinning up money, I would check out peter27, craigcu12 and craigsgu's diaries to see how they are doing/ what they are doing. Might even be something you decided to do yourself. 

Check out the poker clinic as well, you can post hands up and get feedback from loads of good players. Even if it's not your own hands always interesting look at other folds hands the advice they have been given.

I quite often post hands on here to get feedback, I would say it was the biggest thing in helping me improve my game at poker.

Bankroll

The diaries above all deal with building a bankroll so some extent or another.

If you can deposit atleast £60.

Going with bankroll management, start playing at the £4 tables. Try and play 2 tables and build up your roll from there.

It's where a lot of the profitable players on the site started from. Once you get to £200, start playing 10nl.

This is based on playing 1 or 2 tables, which I think is the max you do at the moment?

As time goes on you can start adding other tables, so if you play 1 at the mo, add a 2nd, or if you play 2, maybe work up to playing 3.

It just means you'll be more interested and won't just play hands for boredom's sake. If you are 1 tabling, I think £60 for 4nl and 200 for 10nl is fine (when not playing loads of tables)

Sky also does 2 freerolls every night, 7 and 7:15 def worthwhile playing these over the month, I reckon you could make £30-40 over a month just by playing these (check out my thread below on "freeroll build a bankroll")

I was exactly the same when I started playing, I used to deposit £10/£20 quid use it for as long as possible, and if I bust just redeposit. One time I put in £20 quid and within a few days it was £200, I thought it was awesome and I was the best player in the world lol I came 1st in a bh for over £100 then a few days later I was 2nd for a good score as well.

I ended up withdrawing a good chunk of that eventually busted what I had left in my account about £50. I thought I was awesome and poker and didn't understand why I couldn't win any more tournies, truth was I just lucky in those 2 mtt's despite my ability at the time.

It was then I decided I wanted to try and learn a bit more to improve, and be a "profitable" player.

Good luck to you mate
  • edited January 2014
    If you can deposit atleast £60. Going with bankroll management, start playing at the £4 tables. Try and play 2 tables and build up your roll from there. It's where a lot of the profitable players on the site started from. Once you get to £200, start playing 10nl. This is based on playing 1 or 2 tables, which I think is the max you do at the moment? As time goes on you can start adding other tables, so if you play 1 at the mo, add a 2nd, or if you play 2, maybe work up to playing 3. It just means you'll be more interested and won't just play hands for boredom's sake. If you are 1 tabling, I think £60 for 4nl and 200 for 10nl is fine (when not playing loads of tables) Sky also does 2 freerolls every night, 7 and 7:15 def worthwhile playing these over the month, I reckon you could make £30-40 over a month just by playing these (check out my thread below on "freeroll build a bankroll") I was exactly the same when I started playing, I used to deposit £10/£20 quid use it for as long as possible, and if I bust just redeposit. One time I put in £20 quid and within a few days it was £200
    Hey Larson, yeah going to start grinding the 4nl, thinking off deposoting up 100. I do multi table quite alot
    especially on stars but i'm only playing on a laptop and when you resize the SP tables i dont like the format so
    i genreally keep to two tables. i read a good post from Lambert180 yesterday about bet sizing which i found very useful. i will definitely be posting some hands for feedback etc. and when ive built that roll abit we need 
    a rematch for that 80 you took me for ;) haha! gl at the tables mate and i'll keep you posted on my results.
  • edited January 2014
    http://learn.pokernews.com/poker-strategy-theory/an-introduction-to-bankroll-management-2486.htm loads of other stuff around - this is a pretty good guide tho
    Posted by chicknMelt
    i will most definitely look into this thanks for the post!
  • edited January 2014
    http://learn.pokernews.com/poker-strategy-theory/an-introduction-to-bankroll-management-2486.htm loads of other stuff around - this is a pretty good guide tho
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Just read this post on bankroll management and found it a great read! thanks for posting. I'm going to consider
    myself inbetween the minimum and medium buyins for 6max cash games. so looking at havin around 40 buy-ins
    overall for my chosen stakes.

thanks for the post great help and gl at them tables!
  • edited January 2014
    welcome Tux

good bankroll management is vital in building a bankroll.
    £100 is plenty for nl4 multi-tabling.
    my advice get it to £200 then try 1 table at nl10. if you lose that session and b/roll goes back below £200 go back to nl4 again and rebuild and repeat.
    then as b/roll increases add another table.
    I am using this plan myself... long way to go on £31.03 atm  :)

best of luck mate,
    dev