You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL10: Bet-Sizing tells. Semi-bluff the turn?

edited January 2014 in The Poker Clinic

Villain seems to open bigger with bigger hands, so this min-raise makes me think it's unlikely that he has AA, KK, QQ or AK. Thinking that we're looking at a pocket pair or two face cards.

Hence the 3-bet, in position. It's very unlikely in my mind that I'll be 4-bet, but it's an easy lay-down if that happens. We pick up so much money post-flop when he check-folds.

On the flop, his donk-bet means he's hit but its size says he's still not massive. Happy with the raise here, I assume? We've got plenty of equity... Just a matter of raise-sizing.

He comes out with the same tiny donk-bet on the turn. We think he's marginal... but unsure at this stage whether he can lay down the top of his "marginal" range. SPR says I can shove here. The price I'm being offered says I can profitably flat-call to see the river.

Are we shoving or flatting the turn?

Obviously input is welcome on all streets, including sizings.

JoSmall blind  £0.05 £0.05 £8.36
 HannahBig blind  £0.10 £0.15 £12.27
  Your hole cards
  • A

Tina Fold     
Rachel Raise  £0.20 £0.35 £8.83
BorinLoner Raise  £0.80 £1.15 £13.27
Jo Fold     
Hannah Fold     
Rachel Call  £0.60 £1.75 £8.23
Flop

• Q
  • K

Rachel Bet  £0.60 £2.35 £7.63
BorinLoner Raise  £1.80 £4.15 £11.47
Rachel Call  £1.20 £5.35 £6.43
Turn

Rachel Bet  £0.60 £5.95 £5.83
BorinLoner All-in  £11.47 £17.42 £0.00

Comments

• edited January 2014
  • edited January 2014
    Think you have played every street perfectly. Only slight comment would be that the 4x 3-bet in position is a bit big but that is being very picky lol ;)

As for the turn decision I really hate calling in these spots. When we have 3-bet pre and 3-bet the flop, calling this size bet on the turn is the equivalent of typing in chat 'I've not got anything here take it down on the river if you want'.

Jam is definitely the best play imo.

• edited January 2014

just type in chat "please fold"

donk is weak top pr, good 2nd pr or fd

call turn

• edited January 2014
    I dont know about the poker, but there aint no party like an s-club party! I call until ive seen that they can fold K8o here
  • edited January 2014
    But what if he has KK and only min bet to keep someone in the pot. He now has trips against yr fd. Sometimes when you are on a very passive table a 3bb bet just makes everyone fold and you get nothing for a premium hand.

Anyway what happened
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL10: Bet-Sizing tells. Semi-bluff the turn?:
    just type in chat "please fold" donk is weak top pr, good 2nd pr or fd call turn
    Posted by rancid
    2 of which will probably fold to a jam...
  • edited January 2014
    I dont know about the poker, but there aint no party like an s-club party! I call until ive seen that they can fold K8o here
    Posted by jimb0d1
    Points for jimb0d1. Obviously we didn't invite the S Club boys... why would we need them?
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL10: Bet-Sizing tells. Semi-bluff the turn? : 2 of which will probably fold to a jam...
    Posted by 77Chris91
    They will not fold 100% of the time, plus what % do they have us beat and not fold.

Also your assuming villian has each holding 33.3% of the time, this simply isn't true.
    You don't want them to fold a FD do you, they could have a str draw also.

• edited January 2014
    But what if he has KK and only min bet to keep someone in the pot. He now has trips against yr fd. Sometimes when you are on a very passive table a 3bb bet just makes everyone fold and you get nothing for a premium hand. Anyway what happened
    Posted by gracie24
    My thoughts at the time were that this villain was pretty transparent with his bet-sizing. His sizings indicated a marginal hand so I ruled out AA, KK, QQ and AK pre-flop and two-pair or better post-flop.

To answer your question: "...what if he has KK and only min bet to keep someone in the pot..."

Well, then he'd have done me up like a kipper, wouldn't he? lol

As it is he turned over KJo, which I think is the top of his range here. I didn't get there.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL10: Bet-Sizing tells. Semi-bluff the turn? : They will not fold 100% of the time, plus what % do they have us beat and not fold. Also your assuming villian has each holding 33.3% of the time, this simply isn't true. You don't want them to fold a FD do you, they could have a str draw also.
    Posted by rancid
    Top marks for stating the obvious!!

OP has ruled out sets and AK, were left with KJ, KQ, K10 and maybe a few weak Q's that are calling. Think with the equity we have if called jamming is best.

Calling turn and just folding to another 60p lead on the river or whatever just feels gross.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL10: Bet-Sizing tells. Semi-bluff the turn? : Top marks for stating the obvious!! OP has ruled out sets and AK, were left with KJ, KQ, K10 and maybe a few weak Q's that are calling. Think with the equity we have if called jamming is best. Calling turn and just folding to another 60p lead on the river or whatever just feels gross.
    Posted by 77Chris91

we have 24% when called with a live ace

haven't done the maffs but we probbaly needing them to fold like half of the time
    IDK off hand maybe I'll do some maffs later

edit: done maffs, yeah if vill will fold 50% of the time then shove

intresting thing is if vill doesn't fold FD's/sd's, then hey ho creates an easy shove like all the time

• edited January 2014
    Payed fine until the turn... Why are you not calling here when you are getting 10/1 for a draw to the nuts. The flop pretty much smacks villains 3-bet calling range in the face, and has called your re-pop on the flop. It just looks like you've turned a +EV call on the turn into a -EV shove as i just think villains going to fold less than 50% of the time the way the hands played so far.
  • edited January 2014
    Payed fine until the turn... Why are you not calling here when you are getting 10/1 for a draw to the nuts. The flop pretty much smacks villains 3-bet calling range in the face, and has called your re-pop on the flop. It just looks like you've turned a +EV call on the turn into a -EV shove as i just think villains going to fold less than 50% of the time the way the hands played so far.
    Posted by mugsy78
    The answers to these questions are in the OP.

It's not just about his 3-bet-calling range, it's about his small-donk range on flop and turn. This board doesn't "smack" his range for doing that in the sense that he figures to be very strong. As I said, these bets, combined with his min-raise-call pre-flop, indicate a marginal hand.