You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

playing against the awful donk bet

i have been losing alot of money trying to play back or get clever against a opponent who has donk bet
e.g u raise with AQ of clubs , flop of 3c 7d 9h
dry board u have position in a  handed flop but they half pot donk into you what should my next move be ????????????????????

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Fold, try for a better spot. A lot of people will call with suited connectors so they can hit this flop big and you'll be drawing slim.
  • ybyb
    edited December 2009
    I assume you raised pre? If so I'd probably raise this flop to represent the over-pair. If he flat calls this double barrel the turn unless another 7 or 9 comes. I think we can discount 2 pair or a set as most players will c/r this. But this play will obviously not work with a calling station, so it depends what notes you have on your op as well.
  • edited December 2009
    you raise. They obv have a weak hand they are trying to protect or have air and are trying to steal. If you put enough pressure on they will fold a decent % of the time. Think of all the turn cards that are bad for their hand, if you raise flop and fire again on the turn their gonna have to give up most of the time. or go broke with 3rd pair or whatever.
  • edited December 2009
    idk, I raise them alot until they adjust.

It's generally middle pair or a weakish draw
  • edited December 2009
    90% of the time this will be 78s low pp kinda hands or 56, u have the decision to raise on the flop and double barrel and scary card for them if u get called i.e any picture card or just fold and find a better spot

generally helps to have some history on villian in these kinda spots, also massively depends on stack sizes which u didnt say?? if u are both 100bb deep then def raising flop

personally as u have the two overs and backdoor flush im raising this flop as theres a lot of turn cards you will like and villian wont
  • edited December 2009
    I raise most times unless i have previous knowledge of the opponent.

The bet i find the most annoying to play against is the min bet (eg on .25/.50) 50p bet into a pot of £15.  It is soooooooooo frustrating and hard to play against as they are either uber strong or drawing.  Raise large and await their reponse to ur bet.