You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bum hunting

edited January 2014 in Poker Chat
Hey all, I had a discussion with TommdD last night on bum hunting, however we couldnt really talk in depth about this topic as we was both grinding so I thought I would get some insight on here, my question is why is this so frowned upon in the poker community ?? the night b4 last I noticed a less than average player at the 100nl tables, decided to sit and play jusst because he was there, after he went broke I left straight away, my gameplan was to try and play pots with this guy and stay away from the regs as I am not very good playing cash and I thought I would get owned...

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Ure right m8. In this day and age we are all equals. Good luck to you both..
  • edited January 2014
    I think there is a differance between seeing a "weaker" player at a table and sitting down there then sitting down at a HU table and refusing action.  That what the community really frown upon.  Selecting a 6 max table with a player you know you can beat is part of cash poker
  • edited January 2014

Joking aside a agree with you K8lou. Seems common sense.. Gl at tables.

• edited January 2014
    Yeah as Cenachav there's a difference between table selection and hardcore bum hunting and it's the latter people don't tend to like.

Doesn't apply at my stakes but higher up I can imagine it being very annoying if there's a serious lack of games running because no-one will play unless there's a big 'spot'. It's also bad in terms of giving that player a bad experience. It can't be nice watching 2-3 people snap sit out the second you get stacked, then snap sit back in the second you re-load or leave if you don't.

Every single winning player is a bum hunter to a degree cos you only win by playing people that make more mistakes than you do. If you consistently play with ONLY people better than you, it doesn't matter how amazing you are, you won't win. There's just varying degrees of bum hunting.
  • edited January 2014
    TBH, what I'm doing at the moment to boost my bankroll can be considered bum hunting in MTT's.  I know I have a big edge over most of them.  The one differance between this and cash bum hunting is I can't control exactly who I play and I can't sit out.  There is also a chance that I play the mini and get drawn on a table with MattBates, TommyD, DivsDreams, Andrew1947 and Maxally.  Guess who's the bum then!  

Ok, it would be Maxally :p 
  • edited January 2014
    Players rarely sit down with someone they know will own them over time.

scotty77 never sits on any of NL20 tables. Make of that what you will ;)
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Bum hunting:
    Yeah as Cenachav there's a difference between table selection and hardcore bum hunting and it's the latter people don't tend to like. Doesn't apply at my stakes but higher up I can imagine it being very annoying if there's a serious lack of games running because no-one will play unless there's a big 'spot'. It's also bad in terms of giving that player a bad experience. It can't be nice watching 2-3 people snap sit out the second you get stacked, then snap sit back in the second you re-load or leave if you don't. Every single winning player is a bum hunter to a degree cos you only win by playing people that make more mistakes than you do. If you consistently play with ONLY people better than you, it doesn't matter how amazing you are, you won't win. There's just varying degrees of bum hunting.
    Posted by Lambert180
    This. A lot of player's don't seem to grasp this for some reason...
  • edited January 2014
    lol @ thread

if your sitting down on a 6 max table with the sole intention of stacking 1 player then that my friend is bum hunting.

your basically saying that you don't want to play versus the other 5 but would rarther just play versus one player
    it's the same principle used by people sitting at HU tables waiting for weak players

looking at a table with 5 solid regs and 1 empty seat and saying "I don't fancy that" - now that is good table selection

scanning around lobby looking for value is basically bum hunting, don't know why you fool yourselfs into thinking it's not.

but then again poker is a fools paradise

• edited January 2014
    If you're looking around the cash tables how do you spot a "less than average" player.
    I know people get to know the "regs" but what about new names that are sat at a table?

You can't check their stats as SS doesn't track cash.

Do you sit and watch for a couple of hours?
  • edited January 2014
    I very rarely play cash but when I do I will only look for players who I know are worse than me. Watching the Master Cash tabs on sky sure helps.
  • edited January 2014
    Just checked the cash lobby 64 hu tables with 1 player on each, I think sky should be proactive on this like other sites have and stop it.
  • edited January 2014
    lol @ thread if your sitting down on a 6 max table with the sole intention of stacking 1 player then that my friend is bum hunting. your basically saying that you don't want to play versus the other 5 but would rarther just play versus one player it's the same principle used by people sitting at HU tables waiting for weak players looking at a table with 5 solid regs and 1 empty seat and saying "I don't fancy that" - now that is good table selection scanning around lobby looking for value is basically bum hunting, don't know why you fool yourselfs into thinking it's not. but then again poker is a fools paradise
    Posted by rancid

I totally agree that it is bum hunting.... but at the end of the day we play poker to make money, as I said i consider myself to be an extremly weak cash grinder so why wouldnt I want to sit down with this player ?? if I think I have an edge over 1 opponent and every1 else at the table has an edge over me I am happy to play the guy who I have an edge over, I am not saying I would be folding just because these guys have an edge what I mean is I wouldnt be mixing it up like I do in mtts.

• edited January 2014
    no names mentioning but few days ago  i saw a guy play 1/2 heads up with this reg player and won a gd few hundred of him then this guy left

then i see this reg player follow him on every table giving him verbal abbuse on the chat saying why u leave u fing idiot u cant leave 

why cant he leave he has every right to leave you aint just gonna stay there till this reg gets all hes money back whats the point playing if thats gonna happen i couldnt believe what this so called reg was saying
  • edited January 2014
    So have you reported the player giving the verbal abuse?
  • edited January 2014
    From what I undertsand if its done at a 6max/full ring table its generally accepted as wether you like it or not your going to get involved with pots v other regs which will generate more rake for the site and the whole poker world keeps spinning. Also if theres 1 rec v 5 regs on average the money will be shared between them.

The problem is when its just done HU a reg sucks the recreational players more straight away and it isnt shared between people its just given to one reg. 

This basically gets us back to the argument of banning the HU tables....

Which I am fully in favour of btw
  • edited January 2014
    From what I undertsand if its done at a 6max/full ring table its generally accepted as wether you like it or not your going to get involved with pots v other regs which will generate more rake for the site and the whole poker world keeps spinning. Also if theres 1 rec v 5 regs on average the money will be shared between them. The problem is when its just done HU a reg sucks the recreational players more straight away and it isnt shared between people its just given to one reg.  This basically gets us back to the argument of banning the HU tables.... Which I am fully in favour of btw
    Posted by bolly580

+1
  • edited January 2014
    Rancid wins thread,

WHat two people are gunna doddle off and do a nice half hour experiment playing HU to comeback and tell us the findings on how much they've bin raked? Thats why the lobby 'looks bad'
  • edited January 2014
    Bum-hunting is about those players who register for HU tables and just sit there all day waiting for an opponent. You see loads of them - they don't play each other as the margins are so thin, but they wait for the drunken whales to play against. I met one guy who sat there all day and waited for someone who made it up from the button - if they raised, he wouldn't play them! If they called with their first button, then game on!

Remember - their edge is about money. They have loads of money and can always top up their stacks. As such they are unbeatable. Think about it and this is self-evident.

Poker sites hate them. They contribute minimal rake and also scare off potential future players. Many sites have actually banned them! The fear is that, in the future, the only players will be bum-hunters. RIP online poker.