You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DO YOU DO THE MATHS

edited January 2014 in Poker Chat
After a post by Teddy Bloat on our TPT thread about something called NASH (have a look here to me it's "A" level + stuff) but it got me thinking about the mathematics involved in poker. I know there are quite a few players on here who seem to know a hell of a lot about poker theory and odds but how much do odds come into play in an actual hand online? Can you look at a flop and say I have x% of hitting a flush, x% of hitting a straight or I have x% value to call on the river? Personally I know 1 or 2 odds preflop and thats about it. I look at the price I'm asked to pay to see another card and decide from there depending on pot size and my stack. I know that is using maths but it's sort of in an educated guess way.

Is there anyone on Sky who can quote the odds while playing in any situation?

Comments

• edited January 2014
    hey mate, think I'm allowed to post this here? really helped me with this topic!

• edited January 2014

remember ed giddins?  he used to declare probabilities using a percentage figure with two decimal places.  i think he had a good idea of chance but liked to sound even more knowledgeable by being (unnecessarily) precise.  having an idea is perfectly fine.

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: DO YOU DO THE MATHS:
    remember ed giddins?  he used to declare probabilities using a percentage figure with two decimal places.  i think he had a good idea of chance but liked to sound even more knowledgeable by being (unnecessarily) precise.  having an idea is perfectly fine.
    Posted by aussie09
    Thats just showing off
  • edited January 2014
    I don't think you need to know much more than 'straight odds on the flop', 'flush odds on the flop', and maybe a couple of pre-flop odds. That's it. The rest is (at least in part) common sense.
  • edited January 2014
    I think you need to know the maths to an extent, as long as you can be within a few percent of knowing your odds, probabilities and how much equity you have then thats fine, but playing online is so fast paced especially multi-tabling that if you overcomplicate the maths you can lose a lot of your edge in terms of picking up tells and obvious reads on your opponents
  • edited January 2014
    Nash that Teddy mentioned refers specically to equilibrium decisions and is really only relevant to heads up play, but very, very worthwhile gaining an understanding of.

I always have a rough idea of percentages when I'm in a hand and have studied a bit of the maths of the game.  That said, a rough idea is generally good enough in my opinion.
  • edited January 2014
    im not the best at maths to be fair, can work pot odds and that out no problem but some of the fomulas people write on here go straight over my head, i dont know whether they are just over complicating things or i am just plain thick!!! 
  • edited January 2014
    I think you need to know the maths to an extent, as long as you can be within a few percent of knowing your odds, probabilities and how much equity you have then thats fine, but playing online is so fast paced especially multi-tabling that if you overcomplicate the maths you can lose a lot of your edge in terms of picking up tells and obvious reads on your opponents
    Posted by jordz16
    Thats partly what I was thinking of. In live play you have the time to consider odds more ( possibly thats why the likes of Simon is a good live player) but with only about 15 seconds decision time online it surely takes away some of the edge a maths man could have.
  • edited January 2014
    clearly the better you can do the maths, the better decisions you can make.
    however in many situations the benefit of calculating the fine detail
    makes only a marginal difference

so even though i am a mathematician
    when i shove my flush draw on the flop it will rarely be due to the fine calculation
    but more due to the situation
    or the drink

• edited January 2014
    Most of the equity odds are in the back of your mind and after a while you know them by heart. No doubt you've had them in your mind for years without realising.

Pot odds are the only thing you need to work out at the table but, thankfully, a general idea is fine. It also helps that most villains are lazy and just click the half-pot, 3/4 pot or full-pot buttons.

I'm reminded of maths lessons at school whenever I hear people worried about this sort of thing. There were always some kids whose immediate answer to any maths question was "I don't know". They didn't take the time to think about it, because they had convinced themselves they couldn't do it.

People who are bad at maths are bad at maths because they dread it, not because they can't do it. It's the same as learning to do anything, you've just got to give yourself a chance...

That turned into a rant.

The gist is that the numbers are important, but they're not very hard once you get used to them. You probably already think about them without realising.
  • edited January 2014
    If you speak to Phil Helmuth (as I do most weekends) he will tell you that he doesn't know too much about the exact figures. It's mostly 'feel' or 'instinct', or some such. I don't know if that's perhaps romanticised a little, but I quite believe him, and like him or loathe him, you can't deny the guy knows his way around the felt.

I don't think it's overly important to know too much.
  • edited January 2014
    People who are bad at maths are bad at maths because they dread it, not because they can't do it. It's the same as learning to do anything, you've just got to give yourself a chance... 
    Posted by BorinLoner
    yipee

found something that borin has said which, imho, is a load of b*llocks. I'm sure there was something before, but so long ago that i have totally forgotten what it was.

it's like being able to touch your toes - if you practice you may be able to improve, but if you are born stif you are never going to be able to do it. Many peeps are born stiff when it comes to maths. Although for poker it is more arithmetic which is needed for the hand by hand decisions.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: DO YOU DO THE MATHS : Thats partly what I was thinking of. In live play you have the time to consider odds more ( possibly thats why the likes of Simon is a good live player) but with only about 15 seconds decision time online it surely takes away some of the edge a maths man could have.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    What I did when I started taking notice of the maths was write a few generic things down and have the list next to me when playing.

Basic stuff like opened ended straight draw post flop 32% 1/3 post turn 16% 1/6.5 (ish)

Or if I am 4 to the flush I have 9 outs.

A general rule of thumb is times your number of outs by 4 post flop, or 2 post turn. to give you a percentage of hitting.

Then if you need to couple these things with pot odds/implied odds just work the basic theory out and write it down and have it with you when you play.

Hope this helps.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: DO YOU DO THE MATHS : yipee found something that borin has said which, imho, is a load of b*llocks. I'm sure there was something before, but so long ago that i have totally forgotten what it was. it's like being able to touch your toes - if you practice you may be able to improve, but if you are born stif you are never going to be able to do it. Many peeps are born stiff when it comes to maths. Although for poker it is more arithmetic which is needed for the hand by hand decisions.
    Posted by GELDY
    I used to play darts with drinking mates who couldn't add up
    but when it came to a finish they knew exactly what to do!
    151 = t20 t17 d20
    146 = t20 t18 d16 etc
    Though its great you at last found him talking Bull
    I see where he's coming from. The more you play, the more mathematics becomes instinct
  • edited January 2014
    I think common sense and a general understanding is fine for most situations,  but a little understanding a some simple maths can lead to some nonintuitive plays that are +ev.

Havent got the time atm, but ill post some little senarios that are not obvious until you plug numbers and hand ranges into some equations.
    Eg it can be ABSOLUTELY the right play to call even if you know you are behind:

HU sunday main event final table

12bb deep.

You minraise with KhQs

Villain calls

Flop:

6s9hTh

Oppo checks, you make a half pot cbet.

Oppo shoves and shows

AdTc

You have king high,  a gutshot, backoor hearts and two overs.

Oppo has top pair top kicker.

You HAVE to call. Folding is horrible

After cbetting in a minraised pot 12bb deep we only need 33% equity to stack off. Here we have 40% v the top off opponents range.

There are loads of spots like this that are easily passed over. 
  • edited January 2014
    I love numbers/ maths and my job is all about numbers/ calculations. I only play omaha so the amount of outs, variables increase as opposed to holdem.

However I never have a % of outs per say in my head as in 33% or 24%. I think its more instinctive, you know how what cards your looking for....ie spades for a flush, 9 or 6 for a str8 and you know how many suits there are and 13 card types. So without actually calculating the % you have a good estimate of out chances. 

Equally and or more importantly you have to consider your opponent, your position, the history of the game to date etc.

Personally I think its better to have good estimates than being a maths genius working out exact odds. Infact from my experience people that are very good at maths are not particularly good poker players.

Ger
  • edited January 2014
    Borins got it the wrong way round I think Geldy. I dreaded Maths at school BECAUSE I was so bad at it. Some things can't just be grasped and with me it was Maths. Unfortunatley when I was at secondary school in the 60's we never had these remedial classes or extra tuition that are available now so the dunces stayed as dunces.

Interesting what you say about darts dosh I used to play myself as a teenager and knew all the outs at one time but the permutations in poker are endless and a great deal more complicated.

By the way I wasn't particularly looking for advice for myself here but some interesting posts non the less. Maybe I should make a concerted effort to learn the very basic pot odds.