You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Ashes 2009

edited August 2009 in The Shed

The eagerly-anticipated 2009 Ashes series starts this week! It doesn't seem like 2 minutes since England beat the Aussies in 2005, but the Australians hit back down under in 2007.

What will the result be this time around?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    In Response to The Ashes 2009:
    The eagerly-anticipated 2009 Ashes series starts this week! It doesn't seem like 2 minutes since England beat the Aussies in 2005, but the Australians hit back down under in 2007. What will the result be this time around?
    Posted by Sky_SteveM
    I'll be at Cardiff on Wednesday. I'll be the drunk one in the front row.
  • edited July 2009
    I hope you enjoy the rain! 
  • edited July 2009
    come on england! big cricket fan, play league cricket myself! england imo have the edge, all our top order batsmen are in form with recent centuries etc whilst the aussie openers are not e.g. hughes and ponting, massive bonus for england is brett lee out of the first 2 tests! quality bowler and his absence will be much needed pressure relief for our openers, still though, johnson is a very fast bowler. 
  • edited August 2009
    England had the Ashes in their grasps, but within just 2 hours yesterday morning they went and f****d it right up by getting all out for 100........

And now in the 2nd Innings are on 80-5, over 270 runs behind still.
  • edited August 2009
    It was hardly in their grasp - one up with two to play.  They were always poised to have a bad one - top two players injured, too many others not on form and some uninspiring selection choices. 
  • edited August 2009
    Englands cricketers need a professional poker player in their training camp.Englands batsmen all went on tilt in the 1st innings, batsman after batsman after batsman all on tilt, the whole team went on tilt.102 all out. So thats bad ,what do we do now, bowl really tight to try and restrict their scoring. So what happens, the bowlers start off on tilt,bowling all over the place, making it simple to hit 4s right from the first over. they were still on tilt.They had no trouble making 445. So what happens now. England go out to bat again and they are all still on tilt.  Poker players have to learn not to go on tilt, so untill someone teaches English cricketers not to go on tilt,they will never win anything.A poker pro can help them improve their poker skills aswell, but he d have a job and a half trying to teach them not to go on tilt.
  • edited August 2009
    After Cardiff I always thought it would come down to the last game.

While it would have been great for England to have it all over with by now, in an odd way I am glad they don't.

The last test will be a cracker.
  • edited August 2009
    My team for the Oval: (on the basis that flintoff is fit and trescothick refuses to come out of retirement)

Strauss (c)
    Cook
    Shah/Trott
    Ramprakash
    Collingwood
    Prior (wk)
    Flintoff
    Broad
    Swann
    Sidebottom/Anderson
    Onions

I would be very tempted to stick sidebottom in for anderson as jimmy just doesn't seem to offer anything on a flat track like the oval will probably be. And Ramps actually has a good record in tests against aus despite his overall average, and even more so at the oval, in fact he scored 133 against aus at the oval when he last played against them in 2001 - this is a one-off cup final kind of game - i say stick him in.

What do you guys think and what would be your team suggestions?

COME ON ENGLAND - LETS BRING HOME THE URN! 8- />
  • edited August 2009

Kylie Minogue, Rolf Harris, Dame Edna Everage, Harry Kewell, Mel Gibson, Skippy, Savage Garden, R U WATCHING???

Congrats England, roll on the Saffers!
  • edited August 2009

JUST LOVE BEATING THE AUSSIES!