You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Call or Fold?

edited December 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
 Small blind  50.00 50.00 8505.00
Nutter5932 Big blind  100.00 150.00 5835.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

TheDiv Raise  200.00 350.00 8115.00
anjie1970 Fold     
kimpet Call  200.00 550.00 10740.00
tallboy Raise  800.00 1350.00 8385.00
ctbn Fold     
Nutter5932 Fold     
TheDiv Fold     
kimpet Call  600.00 1950.00 10140.00
Flop

kimpet Bet  975.00 2925.00 9165.00
tallboy Raise  2925.00 5850.00 5460.00
kimpet All-in  9165.00 15015.00 0.00
tallboy Fold     
kimpet Muck     
kimpet Win  15015.00  15015.00

Comments

• edited December 2009
    maybe im a bit loose at times, but i make the call... i think :-

1 - hes got ak/aq possibly 10s dont think hes hit that flop as he wouldnt have called your raise

2 - dont think hes huge as he would av re raised you

3 - worst case senario hes got trip 9s (my luck) but i wouldnt av called the 800 pre flop with 99.. pushed or folded..

after all above i would call, but im sure there are plenty who would disagree
  • edited December 2009
    how much of a stack did you have left after the pot sized bet on the flop?? i definately make the call
    1 - i think im ahead
    2 - u have over 3k in the pot already
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Call or Fold?:
    maybe im a bit loose at times, but i make the call... i think :- 1 - hes got ak/aq possibly 10s dont think hes hit that flop as he wouldnt have called your raise 2 - dont think hes huge as he would av re raised you 3 - worst case senario hes got trip 9s (my luck) but i wouldnt av called the 800 pre flop with 99.. pushed or folded.. after all above i would call, but im sure there are plenty who would disagree
    Posted by daz231023
    l i think i make the call and lose... lol

after looking at this again i think.. fold is the best option... after you have already have 3k in the pot he must be expecting you to call his all in.. therefore i think he is strong.. dont know what he has tho.. aa or kk should re raise you pre....

if you are reading this please say your hand ;)
  • edited December 2009

I had about 5800 left when i folded, but i was certain they had hit their set by the way the betting went. It was the £22 deepy i went on to finish 4th in it.

• edited December 2009
    fold all day long for me, he defo has hit his set or maybe got AA, you did the right thing imo
  • edited December 2009
    And got very unlucky with KK MATE DONT FORGET THAT BIT
  • edited December 2009
    Fold, fold, fold m8.

Blinds are only 50/100 and u have over 5000 left with a fold.  You may have the best hand or you may not. Get ur money in first when sure ur in good shape.

• edited December 2009
    can't see him having a bigger over pair because you would expect him to come back over preflop with QQ+ after inducing action and seeing your reraise. Surely if he had the set you would expect him to check the flop to allow you to C-bet in which you would inevitably do? Id be tempted to call but as phil12uk put above the blinds are small...
  • edited December 2009

CALL! JJ is a monster here for you!!! - If ace high is big enough, JJ is for sure! haha

No seriously the way uve played it I'd call. Why raise the flop if u were guna fold were u bluffing? Flat it and see what he does next, use the 2 thousand chips you used to raise him on the flop, on later streets to see if he gives u any more clues as to his hand, or if he slows down.

Its krazy to automatically put him on a set, how can u do that? Might have flatted ur re raise pre with aces or kings, in which case he has the perfect flop to trap tens jacks and queens.

Yukky flop but as u played it, ill call his all in - People have commented on it only being 50/100, I look at this as positive in that you havent gone that deep, so alot of time hasn't been invested, rather than a reason to lay it down coz theres loads of time left to play.

Im trying to win the tourny everytime, not cash in 5th or 4th, Ive seen the prize structure for this n it just about doubles ya buy in. Easier ways to do this than slog it out for 5 hours.

Call as played, but look at flatting the flop in position if ur not willing to commit ur stack.

GL, DOHH

• edited December 2009
    CALL! JJ is a monster here for you!!! - If ace high is big enough, JJ is for sure! haha No seriously the way uve played it I'd call. Why raise the flop if u were guna fold were u bluffing? Flat it and see what he does next, use the 2 thousand chips you used to raise him on the flop, on later streets to see if he gives u any more clues as to his hand, or if he slows down. Its krazy to automatically put him on a set, how can u do that? Might have flatted ur re raise pre with aces or kings, in which case he has the perfect flop to trap tens jacks and queens. Yukky flop but as u played it, ill call his all in - People have commented on it only being 50/100, I look at this as positive in that you havent gone that deep, so alot of time hasn't been invested, rather than a reason to lay it down coz theres loads of time left to play. Im trying to win the tourny everytime, not cash in 5th or 4th, Ive seen the prize structure for this n it just about doubles ya buy in. Easier ways to do this than slog it out for 5 hours. Call as played, but look at flatting the flop in position if ur not willing to commit ur stack. GL, DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Thank you mate i take on board what you have said. But im happy to sit for another 2 hrs and slog it out, thats why i play it, a small return on my investment is better than none in my opinion.

Do i want to make money at poker? yes. But the deepy is more of a challenge for me against some of the best players on the site
  • edited December 2009
    fold  hes hit his set or got higher pocket pair
  • edited December 2009

The key info here is that it's the deepy.

When I first saw the hand, I thought call all day long (assuming it was either a normal/fast/bounty sky tournie).

As it's the deepy, you were probably right to fold and work your way back (although you may not have been behind).

So to everyone, please always state which tourney you were playing in, makes a huge difference in what the correct play is, ta.

• edited December 2009

Whaaaaat? The right decision is the right decision full stop. He shud call here if hes winning, and fold if he believes he is losing. Its an isolated decision as it's all in or fold, sh!t or bust. It has nothing to do with tournament strategy. - Mindset maybe, and - what the individual considers as a 'successful tourny result' - But the individual hand in question shud be looked at as an isolated event.   

Early stages of a deepstack r the same as a cash game, for the first 2 hours theres no pressure with the blinds, so every hand is an individual event - Your whole focus shud be on the hand in question.

In a velocity u wudn't have a choice, rly, theres no skill in them anyway.

Im not saying it was a bad fold, as long as it was, and i'm sure it was.....a fold for the right reasons.

DOHH - btw - whilst writing this post I've just opened a prezzie from mi Dad - "Harrington on cash games" - THE only poker book I've ever read in my life lolol.
  • edited December 2009
    I got Harrington on Hold'em a couple of months ago. Awesome book. I hope I have learnt loads from it but I guess time and results will tell!

• edited December 2009
    By raise folding an overpair there you are turning it into part of your percieved bluffing range?

I think flatting pre is fine aswell given how nitty the £22 deepy is.

Probably flat the flop aswell.
  • edited December 2009
    by reraising then folding you have turned your jacks into a bluff, now your going to tell me that you reaised for information, ok its screaming out that he has a set here but i have also seen this kind of play on here with 10 10,  a9 or two overcards, imo i think the better play would have been investing that 2925 in calling the flop and turn, you hear it alot that just calling is the worse play but in this case i think its the best move as you will invest the same amount of chips but will get the chance to catch a crazy bluff, catch a bad play and also get lucky if you hit your jack, i now jacks are very vulnerable and you might of reraised thinking your pretecting the best hand but did you think ahead to what you would do if he jammed? this aint easy this poker malarky is it