You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cash points payout so low?

edited January 2014 in Poker Chat
Am i the only one who thinks that since theyve changed the payout system its a joke?

This aint a winge or what not and i know ppl will be saying its free take it bla bla but you try play most days 14 hour days then get back to me.

Anway just been on phone to priority about the cash return as i check it every month just to see what the return is as its all fluffed if you ask me.

20,000 im on the return £511? now i think this is shocking big time when last year it would have been nerly double that return and hearing that honestly just makes me not want to grind anymore ,

I know you should play for profit which i do but the cash return is always a big incentive to grind or otherwise i wouldnt do the hours i do.

But just feel that the payouts now are so bad compared to before that it isnt worth actually goin for the big scores anymore.

Anyone care to put there input on this

Comments

• edited January 2014
    I don't play the volume I used to anymore, so it doesn't really affect me anymore. I do agree the payouts are lower for the top grinders, that you can't argue.

There was a discussion about this when it first changed. The reason for this, with the number of poker players decreasing, the focus for poker sites now is to bring in new players rather than keep feeding the top players. That's why you don't need to make 500 points to get cash back anymore. Of course they want the grinders to stay, but they need new players coming through who could eventually become grinders themselves.

Think of it as shaving a bit off your bonus to give to rec new 'weaker' players. We all know you should be making more through playing than rakeback, so in the long run, it will be beneficial to you.
  • edited January 2014
    Sure it ain't a whinge?! ;)

• edited January 2014
    And it also now rewards the lower stake MTT players who previously got nothing as 500 points was out of reach.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Cash points payout so low?:
    Sure it ain't a whinge?! ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Okay maybe slightly lol
  • edited January 2014
    I don't play the volume I used to anymore, so it doesn't really affect me anymore. I do agree the payouts are lower for the top grinders, that you can't argue. There was a discussion about this when it first changed. The reason for this, with the number of poker players decreasing, the focus for poker sites now is to bring in new players rather than keep feeding the top players. That's why you don't need to make 500 points to get cash back anymore. Of course they want the grinders to stay, but they need new players coming through who could eventually become grinders themselves. Think of it as shaving a bit off your bonus to give to rec new 'weaker' players. We all know you should be making more through playing than rakeback, so in the long run, it will be beneficial to you.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Hey flash yea i remember that discussion , 

Just feels like its that much of a loss even if they are trying to get more players in but i just dont see how someone who earns 500 points makes that much difference to the site in all honest.

But yea was just curious to why the change was so big that it does have an effect tosome degree

thax for your input.
  • edited January 2014
    As pointed out by FlashFlush more money now goes to the recreational and low volume players at the bottom of the pyramid. Until the changes were made most of them, including me, were getting zero.

This is good news for you because it keeps the poker economy healthy, and most of that money will still trickle up to those at the top of the pyramid anyway.

Bending over backwards to keep the relatively small number of high volume grinders happy while neglecting the vast majority of players who are low volume net depositors would be a disasterous policy, the games would eventually dry up. The more balanced way the rakeback cake is sliced up is much fairer now than it was before imo.

Tournament fields have been growing lately and several guarantees have been increased. I'm convinced the switch from C4P to Rewards is partly responisble for this. I don't play cash, so I have no idea if the cash player pool has also seen similar growth. I'd be surprised if it hasn't.
  • edited January 2014
    As pointed out by FlashFlush more money now goes to the recreational and low volume players at the bottom of the pyramid. Until the changes were made most of them, including me, were getting zero. This is good news for you because it keeps the poker economy healthy, and most of that money will still trickle up to those at the top of the pyramid anyway. Bending over backwards to keep the relatively small number of high volume grinders happy while neglecting the vast majority of players who are low volume net depositors would be a disasterous policy, the games would eventually dry up. The more balanced way the rakeback cake is sliced up is much fairer now than it was before imo. Tournament fields have been growing lately and several guarantees have been increased. I'm convinced the switch from C4P to Rewards is partly responisble for this. I don't play cash, so I have no idea if the cash player pool has also seen similar growth. I'd be surprised if it hasn't.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Yea i see what ur saying just for players like me and has had an impact its different for the much higher stakes players as it wont make to much difference.

But for thos who have to put in stupid hours to achive these sort of points (donttelmum) eg has a big impact.

But sky wouldnt have changed it without reason so if its for the benifial of te site then guess thats okay lol
  • edited January 2014

kidwiz how you get that much return for 20k pp
    I made 22600 point in December and only got a return of 460.77 which I think is pathetic btw

• edited January 2014
    mtts get you less cash per point han cash does. Kidwiz must play more cash than u.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Cash points payout so low? : Yea i see what ur saying just for players like me and has had an impact its different for the much higher stakes players as it wont make to much difference. But for thos who have to put in stupid hours to achive these sort of points (donttelmum) eg has a big impact. But sky wouldnt have changed it without reason so if its for the benifial of te site then guess thats okay lol
    Posted by kidwiz10
    Basically a handful of players, you've named 2 lose out due to the new changes.  Whereas hundreads if not thousands benefit from the new system.  Like Gary said above, the money from the bottom of the pyramid all just filters up through the levels anyway.

If only a handful of these players then grow to love the game, deposit, talk to friends, make more people play, more people deposit.  Happy days.
  • edited January 2014
    kidwiz how you get that much return for 20k pp I made 22600 point in December and only got a return of 460.77 which I think is pathetic btw
    Posted by NAILS01197
    Hey mate i play cash but have got most of my points from stt/mtt so i guess this is why , 

Also its so confusing as my games varie every month so never no where i am on the return front so i check this to decide wether to carry on playing or not

Yess it is a very bad return and looks of it you would have to get 34kish to get around the £1k mark which is just a bit to much to ask lol.
  • edited January 2014
    I'd like to know why a 3.30 DYM is 3 points, when a 1.15 is 2, a 2.25 is 3 and a 5.50 is 5. So why wouldn't the 3.30 be 4 points?

That's bugged me since I joined the site 2 years ago.

thanks in advance 
  • edited January 2014
    I'd like to know why a 3.30 DYM is 3 points, when a 1.15 is 2, a 2.25 is 3 and a 5.50 is 5. So why wouldn't the 3.30 be 4 points? That's bugged me since I joined the site 2 years ago. thanks in advance 
    Posted by thefa1lacy
    I think its because the buyin on a £2 DYM is 15% = 0.25p and the buyin on a £3 is 10% =0.30p
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Cash points payout so low? : I think its because the buyin on a £2 DYM is 15% = 0.25p and the buyin on a £3 is 10% =0.30p
    Posted by spinky6108

Ok thanks for that.

• edited January 2014
    I brought this up when rewards started and got an instant backlash for suggesting I didn't like it.  I'm hundreds worse off in rb each month and am now playing alot less here.  Its a shame as I like to play  all my poker on the same site but it doesn't make sense to anymore.  Will get shot down with remarks like its not all about you' etc etc and of course I know its not,and realise its vital for sky to attract new players but not only do high rakers get alot less rb but alot like me are struggling to get used to the new software.  I've gone from paying £3k - £5k in rake a month to £1k.  I'm now playing less on a different site but getting more rb.  Why do I stay here?  I love sky poker and everything that goes with it.  Community, TV, presenters/analysts, old software, SPT's are all great but at some stage the money has to matter.
  • edited January 2014
    I brought this up when rewards started and got an instant backlash for suggesting I didn't like it.  I'm hundreds worse off in rb each month and am now playing alot less here.  Its a shame as I like to play  all my poker on the same site but it doesn't make sense to anymore.  Will get shot down with remarks like its not all about you' etc etc and of course I know its not,and realise its vital for sky to attract new players but not only do high rakers get alot less rb but alot like me are struggling to get used to the new software.  I've gone from paying £3k - £5k in rake a month to £1k.  I'm now playing less on a different site but getting more rb.  Why do I stay here?  I love sky poker and everything that goes with it.  Community, TV, presenters/analysts, old software, SPT's are all great but at some stage the money has to matter.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Hey DTM yea i dont blame you i wont be grinding that much again for that return if you can get it much better elswhere,

Its as bad as doin a job to find out you havent been payed! lol.

But ill still play on sky of course there aint a better site but to go for these big returns (points) its really not worth it as its not benefical in anyway.
  • edited January 2014
    Hey Kid

I think lambert180 wrote a post a few weeks ago explaining how the rewards system works now so if he reads this he might be able to bump it for you mate.
  • edited January 2014
    Hey Kid I think lambert180 wrote a post a few weeks ago explaining how the rewards system works now so if he reads this he might be able to bump it for you mate.
    Posted by Diminuendo
    Hey fella yea i just took a look still bit hard to work out what you get since its all changed , 

So now i just ring priority to check it for me 

thx for your help
  • edited January 2014
    Rewards has been discussed to death on here but its not surprising that this comes up time and time again. 

Kidwiz, for the record you are roughly £400 worse off for getting 20k points than you would have been under the old cash for points system a few years back. In principle the idea of distributing the rewards to recreational players makes sense. BUT, how much of that actually finds its way down the poker chain and how much ends up in the pockets of the RTR players/SP itself. 

The problem with the rewards program is lack of transparency, if you play a mixture of cash/sngs and mtts unless you keep detailed records its nearly impossible to work out your rewards. The widget is useless beyond 10k points when in the past you could see exactly what your rewards payment would be.

Sky is unique in that it has a loyal customer base. A lot of players like sky because of the community aspect, tv programs etc etc. They do, however, have a fine line to tread with the grinders that put in a lot of volume. Get it wrong and you end up losing the players that give the site the most profit. There are several sites that can smash skys 20% rakeback for bronze priority out of the water. When you are talking about the best part of £5k loss (in comparison with the old loyalty scheme and assuming 20k points per month )over a year for a lower stakes grinder, that is something that has to be considered when selecting a site to play on. 

• edited January 2014
    Rewards has been discussed to death on here but its not surprising that this comes up time and time again.  Kidwiz, for the record you are roughly £400 worse off for getting 20k points than you would have been under the old cash for points system a few years back. In principle the idea of distributing the rewards to recreational players makes sense. BUT, how much of that actually finds its way down the poker chain and how much ends up in the pockets of the RTR players/SP itself.  The problem with the rewards program is lack of transparency, if you play a mixture of cash/sngs and mtts unless you keep detailed records its nearly impossible to work out your rewards. The widget is useless beyond 10k points when in the past you could see exactly what your rewards payment would be. Sky is unique in that it has a loyal customer base. A lot of players like sky because of the community aspect, tv programs etc etc. They do however, have a fine line to tread with the grinders that put in a lot of volume. Get it wrong and you end up losing the players that give the site the most profit. There are several sites that can smash skys 20% rakeback for bronze priority out of the water. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER

What also needs to be considered is the number of players who now have a 2nd/new account to pick up on the rake bonus they were going to miss otherwise.
  • edited January 2014
    I don't mind if all rakeback grinders go elsewhere :)

Does make you wonder how much of the cut to c4p has gone to RTR players and not too the lowly rec <500 point players.

I am all for taking a cut in rakeback to feed the bottom of the ladder but seriously it does seem a bit skewed.

Funny how to attract new players you either say ok have lots of % rakeback or just a little cause it's more than what you was getting before. Bit weird on one hand you discourage heavy rakeback grinders by lowering the rewards but on the other hand hand out a large % to RTR players to encourage heavy rakeback grinders to the site. You see how I think it's a bit skewed in favour of new customers. But Sky would say we should be thankful cause they are trying to bring in new players via these two routes. Well make your mind up, are you trying to attract new players at the bottom of the ladder <500 points or high rakeback grinders.

I think every reg would welcome the addition of new blood but not high rakeback grinders. So I fail to see how we as regs are so much better off under the new rewards system. I see new names appearing but these ain't new recs, they are grinders. Hopefully time we tell over the next two months, we will see if it's worked or not.

I don't blame DTM if he goes and plays eleswhere if the cut in rakeback is £5k a year. I doubt everyone would be a bit upset with a £5k a year pay cut and would probably seek work elsewhere.

• edited January 2014
    hey guys , im reasonably new to skypoker , iv had an account for a while but this is my first month iv put in any kind of volume , im currently around 7300 points but have now got a bit bored because i know for a fact i cannot compete for a top10 place in the promo going on , but i would like to know if it would benefit me to secure 10,000 points for 20% rakeback , is there going to be a major difference in payout by staying below 10k or going over 10k is my question ?
  • edited January 2014
    hey guys , im reasonably new to skypoker , iv had an account for a while but this is my first month iv put in any kind of volume , im currently around 7300 points but have now got a bit bored because i know for a fact i cannot compete for a top10 place in the promo going on , but i would like to know if it would benefit me to secure 10,000 points for 20% rakeback , is there going to be a major difference in payout by staying below 10k or going over 10k is my question ?
    Posted by TheRevenge
    If you get 10k points you make priority club. Details are in the promotions page, link is below

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-promotions/priority?dcmp=p_pr_prio
  • edited January 2014
    Posted by TheRevenge
    roughly speaking above 5000 but below 10,000 is 12% and 10,000 and above is 20% rakeback

once you reach 10,000 the amount of rakeback you then receive will be based on if you played cash or MTT/SNG's
    cash = 6 points  for every £1 in rake
    MTT/SMG's=10 points for every £1 in rake

so say you get 11,000
    100% cash would be £366
    100% SNG/MTT would be £220
    50/50 would be £293

^ subject to change :)

• edited January 2014
    Depends what games you play...

If it's under 10k then you can work out exactly what you'll get from the Sky Rewards promo page and game choice is irrelevant.

Over 10k....

If you play cash games, divide your points by 7 (to allow for some happy hours), that's how many £ rake you've paid and you get 20% sooo 10k points / 7 = £1428 rake paid so you get about £285

If you play SnG/MTTs, divide your points by 10, that's how many £ rake you've paid and you get 20% sooo 10k / 10 = £1000 rake paid so you get £200 back.

If you play a mixture... well gl working it out lol. Just weight your calcs more towards the game you play most of as per above.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Cash points payout so low? : roughly speaking above 5000 but below 10,000 is 12% and 10,000 and above is 20% rakeback once you reach 10,000 the amount of rakeback you then receive will be based on if you played cash or MTT/SNG's cash = 6 points  for every £1 in rake MTT/SMG's=10 points for every £1 in rake so say you get 11,000 100% cash would be £366 100% SNG/MTT would be £220 50/50 would be £293 ^ subject to change :)
    Posted by rancid
    well i have played mainly SNG with a few short sessions with cash along with just a few MTTs , so i guess i am looking aroung the £230-£240 kind of payout which i guess is not that great really  , i guess i will see it through now though to hopefully secure a PS4 freeroll seat but cannot see me putting in high volume in future months as im not a cash game player which it only seems to benefit .
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Cash points payout so low? : well i have played mainly SNG with a few short sessions with cash along with just a few MTTs , so i guess i am looking aroung the £230-£240 kind of payout which i guess is not that great really  , i guess i will see it through now though to hopefully secure a PS4 freeroll seat but cannot see me putting in high volume in future months as im not a cash game player which it only seems to benefit .
    Posted by TheRevenge
    Benefits SNG/MTT players upto 10,000 you get more points for your £1

/>10,000 your getting 20% on rake you have contributed
    So when cash players have to contribute more £'s to get more points, that's why they get more rakeback cause it's based on % once you pass 10,000 points.

so it's swings and roundabouts

it's a fair system but actually is biased towards SNG/MTT players before you get to 10,000

great incentive imo to play SNG/MTT's up to 10,000

you got to remember that if you playing cash below 10,000 you have to pay more in rake to acheive the same points as an SNG/MTT player.

good luck

• edited January 2014
    Maaaan its quite depressing working out how much you have paid in rake for the month.