You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

30NL - Line Check

edited January 2014 in The Poker Clinic

How good is bad is this play?

No reads on villain, don't recognise the name but from the short time I spent at the table he seemed fairly competent, not doing anything awful like limp/calling, not involved in every pot but not very nitty either, but this is all from a lol sample size so probably meaningless anyway.

I know it's not ideal running big bluffs without many reads but I hadn't seen him do anything stationy up to this point and I think his line of donking the flop/checking the turn just looks like a weak (non TP) made hand.

Dunno if I should go a bit bigger on the turn but then I still leave myself an easy <PSB shove for the river so probably the same amounts or v similar to what I'd bet for value.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
jimmothy91 Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £45.94
slipnslide Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £62.29
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

Raise  £0.90 £1.35 £47.36
Lambert180 Raise  £2.70 £4.05 £27.30
dubzs Fold     
The_oven Fold     
jimmothy91 Fold     
slipnslide Fold     
Call  £1.80 £5.85 £45.56
Flop

• Q

Bet  £2.93 £8.78 £42.63
Lambert180 Call  £2.93 £11.71 £24.37
Turn

Check     
Lambert180 Bet  £5.40 £17.11 £18.97
Call  £5.40 £22.51 £37.23
River

Check     
Lambert180 All-in  £18.97 £41.48 £0.00

Comments

• edited January 2014
    We have far too many bluffs in our range if are making the play with this hand (not the river specifically, more to do with us calling flop and bluffing turn)

What's the weakest you value bet OTR?

Has villain ever donked before and given you a read on his donking tendencies? In 3bet pots I will generally give an unknown villain credit for having a decent hand when they donk and so I might just fold flop. With a BDFD and 2 overs tho a float probably isn't too bad but I'm only bluffing turn/river if I turn a flush draw.
  • edited January 2014

Think you can rep quite a few diamond combos + KJ and QQ so I think this line is ok against a reg we have history with.

Against an unknown I don't like it as much... Think you may get stationed here to often by AQ/KQ to make the line profitable.

BTW - Turn definitely needs to be like £7ish imo. I think your gonna go closer to this sizing with all your value hands.

• edited January 2014
    10d is probably the worst card to bluff at

you deffo need reads on donking/checking turn range

your only folding out a small % of range, everything else is gonna call

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Line Check:
    10d is probably the worst card to bluff at you deffo need reads on donking/checking turn range your only folding out a small % of range, everything else is gonna call
    Posted by rancid
    Imo it's probably the best lol!
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Line Check : Imo it's probably the best lol!
    Posted by 77Chris91

o yeah hero gonna have KJ so often, don't be silly.

do you think vill has combos in range that get there by river or one pr hands that actually fold

also op remove the "competent" comment when they donk and check turn :)
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Line Check : o yeah hero gonna have KJ so often, don't be silly. do you think vill has combos in range that get there by river or one pr hands that actually fold also op remove the "competent" comment when they donk and check turn :)
    Posted by rancid
    KJ - Not very often. Hands like AKdd, AQdd, AJdd A9dd KJdd is what were realistically trying to represent on the river. I think we get to the river with these holding as played quite a lot of the time.

Will we get this villain to fold KQ, AQ, JJ given the info Lambert has provided? Probably not.

I do think however, that we can get a decent thinking reg to fold this river. (Obvs decent reg isn't taking donk/check line) That's what I was getting at in my first post.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Line Check : KJ - Not very often. Hands like AKdd, AQdd, AJdd A9dd KJdd is what were realistically trying to represent on the river. I think we get to the river with these holding as played quite a lot of the time. Will we get this villain to fold KQ, AQ, JJ given the info Lambert has provided? Probably not. I do think however, that we can get a decent thinking reg to fold this river. (Obvs decent reg isn't taking donk/check line) That's what I was getting at in my first post.
    Posted by 77Chris91
    repping floats and hitting back doors isn't a good bluff line imo
    Your simply going to get called more often than you see folds

if we think about villians range consisting of sets, 2 prs one pr, draws, air,
    on turn we can probably narrow to sets, draws, one prs, 2 prs
    so by river draw combos hit, sets, one prs and 2 prs just ain't folding enough

think we too busy looking at how magical we are by trying to rep, and we still shocked when vill snap calls.
    Bluffing air is so over rated sir

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Line Check : repping floats and hitting back doors isn't a good bluff line imo Your simply going to get called more often than you see folds if we think about villians range consisting of sets, 2 prs one pr, draws, air, on turn we can probably narrow to sets, draws, one prs, 2 prs so by river draw combos hit, sets, one prs and 2 prs just ain't folding enough think we too busy looking at how magical we are by trying to rep, and we still shocked when vill snap calls. Bluffing air is so over rated sir
    Posted by rancid
    0 2prs in his range OTT, Donk/Check line very unlikely to be a draw - Range looks more like 1pr or a set. (Very often 1pr.)

I agree in this hand with this villain we are not getting enough folds :) Against other player types we might do imo.

So is waiting for TPTK sir :)
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Line Check : 0 2prs in his range OTT, Donk/Check line very unlikely to be a draw - Range looks more like 1pr or a set. (Very often 1pr.) I agree in this hand with this villain we are not getting enough folds :) Against other player types we might do imo. So is waiting for TPTK sir :)
    Posted by 77Chris91
    Q9/Q10

disagree can have draws so much with this line

depends what you mean by types, better regs are not folding
    this would probbaly work verus people that just look at there own cards :)

waiting for TPTK is better than bluffing sir :)

good time for Lambert to do one of them reveal and vill calls with 8d9d :)

• edited January 2014
    I think both of you are missing the main point here. Your focusing on whether the bluff will work or not in a vacuum - the simple fact is against all but completely unobservant fish we need to have a bluff range OTR where as from your posts rancid it looks like you are just not bluffing river w/ any of your range because you think villain calls too often?

Now if we're making the play with this hand then we can conceivably be making this play with every single AK combo we have. That alone is far too many bluffs unless we are value-betting really wide OTR. However, if we are only bluffing turn with JT, flush draws ( eg. 9d8d, AdKd) then when we shove this river it becomes much more conceivable that we have a value hand since we only realistically have a few combos of JT and maybe some 1 pair hands turned into a bluff. 
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Line Check : Q9/Q10 disagree can have draws so much with this line depends what you mean by types, better regs are not folding this would probbaly work verus people that just look at there own cards :) waiting for TPTK is better than bluffing sir :) good time for Lambert to do one of them reveal and vill calls with 8d9d :)
    Posted by rancid
    Q9/Q10 calling a 3-bet oop? Don't be silly ;) I would assume draws would double barrel but with the weird donk line I'm not sure lol.

Regs just looking at their own cards? There are plenty of these about!

Not saying I'm right or your wrong... always gd to hear diff views on things :)
  • edited January 2014
    I think both of you are missing the main point here. Your focusing on whether the bluff will work or not in a vacuum - the simple fact is against all but completely unobservant fish we need to have a bluff range OTR where as from your posts rancid it looks like you are just not bluffing river w/ any of your range because you think villain calls too often? Now if we're making the play with this hand then we can conceivably be making this play with every single AK combo we have. That alone is far too many bluffs unless we are value-betting really wide OTR. However, if we are only bluffing turn with JT, flush draws ( eg. 9d8d, AdKd) then when we shove this river it becomes much more conceivable that we have a value hand since we only realistically have a few combos of JT and maybe some 1 pair hands turned into a bluff. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    This makes a lot of sense :) Gd post.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Line Check : Q9/Q10 calling a 3-bet oop? Don't be silly ;) I would assume draws would double barrel but with the weird donk line I'm not sure lol. Regs just looking at their own cards? There are plenty of these about! Not saying I'm right or your wrong... always gd to hear diff views on things :)
    Posted by 77Chris91
    :)

Not being silly, why can't vill have Q9/Q10 - people just ain't that good :)
    Just because it's a reg doesn't mean they are good :)

@Ivan
    I don't think you can bluff AK on river - that is all I am saying
    There's a range where we can bluff river with but AK doesn't sit in it for me, unless we got Ad

• edited January 2014

check
  • edited January 2014
    Lol donk, how many times have you used that joke.

FWIW guys, he folded so will never know what he had.

Something I would say about the above comments though, I'm not like king nit but I'm obv fairly tight so my range for 3betting an UTG open against someone I thought was competent at the time from UTG+1 is gonna be fairly tight so I'm not sure if just combos of AK will be too many bluffs in my range (excluding AKdd obv which isn't a bluff). I dunno, how many bluff combos should I have V value combos?

Like just my combos of AA/KK/QQ/AQ outnumber the bluff AK combos by quite a bit and that's just part of my range where I'd take the exact same line for value.

• edited January 2014
    Yeah I didn't realise it was UTG vs UTG + 1 so not sure if you will have JT much, depends how you construct your 3b range as to what bluffs you can have. Are you value betting AA/KK and AQ OTR? Seems somewhat thin on this river card. If your bluffing with a lot of AK combos though opponent will be forced to call with 1 pair a lot so it might not be terrible, I dunno.
  • edited January 2014
    Lol donk, how many times have you used that joke. FWIW guys, he folded so will never know what he had. Something I would say about the above comments though, I'm not like king nit but I'm obv fairly tight so my range for 3betting an UTG open against someone I thought was competent at the time from UTG+1 is gonna be fairly tight so I'm not sure if just combos of AK will be too many bluffs in my range (excluding AKdd obv which isn't a bluff). I dunno, how many bluff combos should I have V value combos? Like just my combos of AA/KK/QQ/AQ outnumber the bluff AK combos by quite a bit and that's just part of my range where I'd take the exact same line for value.
    Posted by Lambert180

folded, no fun :(

2:1 ratio gonna make em indifferant

2 is value
    1 is bluffs

• edited January 2014
    3 Barelling air FTW! Looked like a weakish 1 pair hand :)

Lambert - The amount of value combos and bluff combos your gonna show up with here does depend a lot on your 3-bet strat vs a unknown/competent. If you are shoving AA, KK, QQ for value on the river (Line I would take as played by villain) than you can add more bluff combos to your range.
  • edited January 2014
    3 Barelling air FTW! Looked like a weakish 1 pair hand :) Lambert - The amount of value combos and bluff combos your gonna show up with here does depend a lot on your 3-bet strat vs a unknown/competent. If you are shoving AA, KK, QQ for value on the river (Line I would take as played by villain) than you can add more bluff combos to your range.
    Posted by 77Chris91
    Ok so we looking at around 7 bluff combos if your shoving AA,KK,QQ

So vill is gonna be 0EV against your bluffs

Your going to be +EV on your value combos

But you also have to factor in what bluff catchers villian is calling with
    You have to also think about what part of your range you check back cause you may have to include these in your bluff combos, we can't be checking back cause it may be -ev -this affects our overal ev line

So if you look at how you contruct your range pre and how it looks by river. If we say we include all AK combos in our range - so that's 16 combos - one of which wins. That is a lot of AK bluff combos, combined with other combos we have to include unless your just 3 betting AA/AK/KK/QQ and only include AK as you bluff combos.

it just gets complicated..........

if your shoving 100%, you gotta remember what % is villian folding - the greater this % then you can add in more bluff combos.
    Maybe your not shoving 100% and may check back or bet small with AQ/KQ - but hey lets not go there!

good luck

• edited January 2014
    My default mp vs utg would be to call AKs pre, because you can't 3bet/5bet for value except vs fish, and bluffing with AKs doesn't make a lot of sense vs their perceived range. So instead we can call AKs, AQs and take AJs and make that part of our bluffing range.

As played, I kinda like raise/fold just incase villain is 'trying to find out where he is' with JJ or TT or something like this.
  • edited January 2014
    Rancid - I missed AQ of my list, which gives us a lot more value combos, still not enough to bluff all our AK + air combos as per your calcs though.

Colley - Pre sounds fine... Hate raising the flop...  What value hands are we going to take this line with?
  • edited January 2014
    Rancid - I missed AQ of my list, which gives us a lot more value combos, still not enough to bluff all our AK + air combos as per your calcs though. Colley - Pre sounds fine... Hate raising the flop...  What value hands are we going to take this line with?
    Posted by 77Chris91
    That is what I am saying, don't bluff :)

• edited January 2014
    Just to throw this out there, I know it might sound fishy but obv you gotta think on similar levels to your opponent... in this case I don't know much about oppo but tend to assume most are thinking no higher than either 'how good is my hand considering how wet/dry the board is?' or 'what does it look like my opponent has?'

Sometimes there's a place for constructing ranges and seeing how many bluffs we have in our range V how many value hands etc but sometimes (alot of the time at my stakes) it's just irrelevant. Sometimes we can take a line when facing a bet to just snap fold all our air hands and proceed with 100% value hands and this may be the most +EV line.

Sometimes we can put someone on a range and narrow someone down by the river to a very weak range of hands like bottom pr/4th pr etc and it can be +EV to bet 100% of our air if they're not stationy, and it won't make the slightest difference that we have 10 times more bluffs than value hands cos they'll never come to this conclusion and hero us with bottom pr or whatever.

Suffice to say, I don't think opponent is calling the river without at least Qx+ which is imo a very small part of his range. Also, I'm pretty much readless V him, so he's almost certainly pretty readless V me and my line looks strong.

To spin it round, if you had no reads on me at all, had never heard of me etc and I took this line... assuming you give yourself a reasonable range to take the line of donk flop/check turn, what is the weakest hand you'd call me with on the river?
  • edited January 2014
    To spin it round, if you had no reads on me at all, had never heard of me etc and I took this line... assuming you give yourself a reasonable range to take the line of donk flop/check turn, what is the weakest hand you'd call me with on the river?
    Posted by Lambert180
    J5 off, I reckon ;)

But seriously... probably Q9, or at a push AQ.
  • edited January 2014
    well Lambert if that's your approach then just include lots more combos in your 3 bet range and barrell off all day cause they gotta fold eventually!

:)

• edited January 2014
    well Lambert if that's your approach then just include lots more combos in your 3 bet range and barrell off all day cause they gotta fold eventually! :)
    Posted by rancid
    Lol you know what I mean Rancid
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Line Check : Lol you know what I mean Rancid
    Posted by Lambert180

you don't want them folding all the time.

you don't mind if they call, even when your bluffing
  • edited January 2014
    Rancid - I missed AQ of my list, which gives us a lot more value combos, still not enough to bluff all our AK + air combos as per your calcs though. Colley - Pre sounds fine... Hate raising the flop...  What value hands are we going to take this line with?
    Posted by 77Chris91
    thats kinda the point..

its 30nl we should exploit people not be obsessed with balance