You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

bad shove i know

Why are you going all in with 6s and over sixty big blinds? If you had raised to a reasonable amount (say, 150) then you may not have lost all your chips.

Comments

• edited January 2014
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceSean29Small blind 15.0015.001955.00MsBubbleBig blind 30.0045.001970.00 Your hole cards66   asternFold    LushAssOneCall 30.0075.002360.00elynam26Call 30.00105.001910.00lawless07Call 30.00135.001670.00Sean29Fold    MsBubbleAll-in 1970.002105.000.00LushAssOneFold    elynam26Fold    lawless07All-in 1670.003775.000.00MsBubbleUnmatched bet 300.003475.00300.00MsBubbleShow66   lawless07Show35   Flop  J4Q   Turn  5   River  5   lawless07WinThree 5s3475.00 3475.00
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: dont matter what you play here:
    Why are you going all in with 6s and over sixty big blinds? If you had raised to a reasonable amount (say, 150) then you may not have lost all your chips.
    Posted by Slipwater
    as the whole table limped in i figured maybe atleast alot of the high cards were out if i had seen a decent hand then no problem but come on is this really bad play to shove 6s to isolate other hands from seeing a flop then to lose to the late caller to a set is it really that random as im always ul
  • edited January 2014
    Posted by Slipwater
    i will note what your saying but it wouldnt of matter in this spot he was going to call 150 if he called 2k
    just seems im always on the wrong side of these flips by the river getting fed up with it now
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: dont matter what you play here : as the whole table limped in i figured maybe atleast alot of the high cards were out if i had seen a decent hand then no problem but come on is this really bad play to shove 6s to isolate other hands from seeing a flop then to lose to the late caller to a set is it really that random as im always ul
    Posted by MsBubble
    People don't usually tend to shove in the way you did if they have an absolute monster like AA or KK. They usually minraise or 3x. Reason being that they want to get as much action as they can.

Most of the time when you shove like this the entire table will fold, whereas a 3x raise will probably get at least one caller. This gives the opportunity to get more money in the pot on later streets.

Hence the caller may have thought you didn't have much of a hand. Or maybe he was bored and thought 'if I win this I'll play properly, otherwise I'll switch off and go out'.

I agree it's a bad call, but still - you set yourself up for a bad beat by playing in this way. If you think you're ahead at this stage, you should be betting for value with a 3x raise in position, or 3.5x raise out of position (standard raise sizes, adjust according to the play of the table).

Also if I see somebody shoving like this, I will adjust my play and limp in when I have a monster hand in the hope of inducing the shove. Obviously this isn't what happened here given that he called with 35s but still...I really don't think your play is +EV in the long run.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: dont matter what you play here : People don't usually tend to shove in the way you did if they have an absolute monster like AA or KK. They usually minraise or 3x. Reason being that they want to get as much action as they can. Most of the time when you shove like this the entire table will fold, whereas a 3x raise will probably get at least one caller. This gives the opportunity to get more money in the pot on later streets. Hence the caller may have thought you didn't have much of a hand. Or maybe he was bored and thought 'if I win this I'll play properly, otherwise I'll switch off and go out'. I agree it's a bad call, but still - you set yourself up for a bad beat by playing in this way. If you think you're ahead at this stage, you should be betting for value with a 3x raise in position, or 3.5x raise out of position (standard raise sizes, adjust according to the play of the table). Also if I see somebody shoving like this, I will adjust my play and limp in when I have a monster hand in the hope of inducing the shove. Obviously this isn't what happened here given that he called with 35s but still...I really don't think your play is +EV in the long run.
    Posted by PokerNoon
    agreed the shove was abit hasty however i really only want to be in this pot with 1 other i got the call i wanted and it didnt go my way which is always the same aces kings queens jacks tens  whatever the weather yet if i call loose like 5 3 suited i still miss just dont no what cards to play anymore
  • edited January 2014
  • edited January 2014
    Oh dear.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    i know what your thinking shove with all those chips and i have  took on board what people have tried to put accross to me and come 10th in last nights deep not a bad effort for a novice  after my aces were crushed and left me on just over 1k i managed to double up twice  in a row to put me on 4k then doubled again calling a loose hand which paid of so thank you for all your posts you have been a great help