You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HUSNG call or fold?

edited January 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Hello everyone.

Just started playing HUSNG exclusively to see if I can actually beat the game instead of spewing off at other formats when I'm loosing.
I keep finding myself in this situation where I'm sat with 22, 33, 44, 55 and opponent shoves 15 - 20bbs I'll call and loose my lead. The example below I know villain is doing this with Ax most of the time.
My question is, knowing that it's going to be a flip should I put myself in that position or is this a ridiculous question and a standard call? If so be harsh... but fair!
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
M_Tutte Small blind  25.00 25.00 1900.00
Big blind  50.00 75.00 1025.00
  Your hole cards

M_Tutte Raise  75.00 150.00 1825.00
All-in  1025.00 1175.00 0.00
M_Tutte Call  975.00 2150.00 850.00
M_Tutte Show

Show
  • K
  • A

Flop

• A

Turn

River

• J

xWin Pair of Aces 2150.00  2150.00

Comments

• edited January 2014
    The best advice I can give is to download pokerstove (if possible) - it's free, and it can help you to determine the correct answer in spots like this. If you can't DL pokerstove for w/e reason then use PPT (ProPokerTools) - basically in pokerstove you want to put in your hand and then put in every single hand you think opponent might shove with and then see how much equity you have against that range. When you need to call 975 to win a pot of 2150 we need about 45.3% equity (975/2150 to get this)

Using PPT and putting 55 against a 30% range of hands we have 47.84% equity so we would call. If we're up against a 30% range that means villain is shoving almost 1 in 3 hands after we min-r though and most villains won't be shoving that often. If we give them a 20% range we have 46.11% and it's still just about a call. However, 22, 33 and 44 are all folds because they hae less than 45% equity. If we give them a 10% range then we only have 40.5% equity and 55 becomes a clear fold. (in fact 66 and 77 are also folds here and 88 is very marginally a bad call)
  • edited January 2014
    If you KNOW its a flip and you think you are the better player then fold... or try and get your chips in first!
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: HUSNG call or fold?:
    The best advice I can give is to download pokerstove (if possible) - it's free, and it can help you to determine the correct answer in spots like this. If you can't DL pokerstove for w/e reason then use PPT (ProPokerTools) - basically in pokerstove you want to put in your hand and then put in every single hand you think opponent might shove with and then see how much equity you have against that range. When you need to call 975 to win a pot of 2150 we need about 45.3% equity (975/2150 to get this) Using PPT and putting 55 against a 30% range of hands we have 47.84% equity so we would call. If we're up against a 30% range that means villain is shoving almost 1 in 3 hands after we min-r though and most villains won't be shoving that often. If we give them a 20% range we have 46.11% and it's still just about a call. However, 22, 33 and 44 are all folds because they hae less than 45% equity. If we give them a 10% range then we only have 40.5% equity and 55 becomes a clear fold. (in fact 66 and 77 are also folds here and 88 is very marginally a bad call)
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Cheers for the detailed reply mate, picked up a couple of things there that I didn't know before. 
    All versions of pokerstove seemed to have expired but stumbled across another free calculator called Equilab which pretty easy to use and works a treat.
  • edited January 2014
    Hey M_T

In HU I would just fold this hand so early, no point flipping (at best) at this stage.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to HUSNG call or fold?:
    Hello everyone.   Just started playing HUSNG exclusively to see if I can actually beat the game instead of spewing off at other formats when I'm loosing. I keep finding myself in this situation where I'm sat with 22, 33, 44, 55 and opponent shoves 15 - 20bbs I'll call and loose my lead. The example below I know villain is doing this with Ax most of the time. My question is, knowing that it's going to be a flip should I put myself in that position or is this a ridiculous question and a standard call? If so be harsh... but fair! Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance M_Tutte Small blind   25.00 25.00 1900.00 x  Big blind   50.00 75.00 1025.00   Your hole cards 5 5       M_Tutte Raise   75.00 150.00 1825.00 x  All-in   1025.00 1175.00 0.00 M_Tutte Call   975.00 2150.00 850.00 M_Tutte Show 5 5       x  Show K A       Flop     8 A 9       Turn     10       River     J       x Win Pair of Aces 2150.00   2150.00
    Posted by M_Tutte

never fold readless here. even with reads i'm calling lol.

--------

some ideas for you regarding small pairs 20bb deep:

you can jam these pairs. it's not horrible to open jam 55 here, 22-33 it's probably preferable to open jam. here's why:

55 is an unexploitable jam, even much deeper than 20bb [i think up to 50bb deep]. in other words even if your opponent knows your hand and adopts a PERFECT calling range its a guarenteed +ev shove long term. you cannot make a big mistake shoving 55.

lets look at the advantages of open jamming v our opponents entire range v minraising:

his bigger pairs are getting in anyway, you lose nothing by jamming

his junk that would fold to a minraise also folds, you lose nothing by jamming

his range that would flat a min raise - JT, K7s etc - this crumbles when you jam. you wont do better than 1bb in expectation when your opponent flats, you gain a LOT v this part of his range by open jamming.

his value shoving range over a minraise is going to call anyway, you lose nothing by jamming.

his bluff jams now fold - this is not a disaster for you K6, 76s  and junk he would have shoved over a minraise has tremendous all-in equity against you anyway, you lose little by failing to induce here.

very few players will be both cannny enought to put you on a small pair, know that 86s has the correct equity to call and have have the balls to do so. people ont call correctly against you and even if they did you are in a +ev situation long term.

if you dont like these spots with small pairs 20bb deep copnsider jamming

--------------------

however i do think 55 is too strong to open jam this deep, we can do better by minraising and looking for spots post flop. facing a jam, we have to call v the general population. people will jam smaller pairs, A2, A3, A4, A5 and we do brilliantly against that range - we arent always flipping, and when we are we have the equity to call. agaisnt bigger pairs: meh, these things happen.

also we can take AA, KK, QQ, JJ TT and probably 99 out of 95% of peoples ranges. nobody with a brain is jamming AA here, it would be spew against the VAST majority of your min raising range.

take those big pairs out of your opponent's range and it is a snap call.

summary: never fold here without SOLID reads.

• edited January 2014
    btw,  in HUSNG's chip equity is £ equity there are no complicated ICM calculations.

if we have the correct equity to call it off, we call it off.

dont pass up small +ev edges hoping to pick up 'better spots' later. take your edge where and as you find it. these situations come up SO often that if we pass up on these edges they will add up over time. winning players at this format are the ones who relentlessly pound small edges and accept the short-term variance that comes with that strategy. long term they clean up.

getting used to the swings and beats is the most difficult part of the format, as im finding out lol.
  • edited January 2014
    55 is an unexploitable jam, even much deeper than 20bb [i think up to 50bb deep]
    Hmm, any maths you seen done on this? I find it hard to believe that it's unexploitable at 50bb deep. Especially if opponent knows your hand...

What % of hands do you think the avg opponent is 3b jamming with this deep? As I showed above 20% is a call but 10% is a fold so somewhere inbetween that will be where we have to min-r fold. 

Also curious as to what other hand types you are open jamming 20bb deep. It may be unexploitable to shove small pairs if we remain balanced but if we are only shoving small pairs then it becomes easy for opponent to decide whether or not to call. 
  • edited January 2014
    Its unexpoloitable in that you can flip your cards over 20bb deep and your opponent wont have a good enough hand often enough to make it non+ev to shove.

Google chubukov-sklansky charts.

You dont need balance to be unexploitable with small pairs 20bb deep. Even a perfect calling range is -ev due to the number of folds you get.

----------

Competent players will jam VERY wide v a frequent minraiser.

If you are minr 60% of hands but calling only 20% 32o is a profitable 3bet jam.

Peeps wont jam THAT wide but we do great against Ax, Kx etc and not many will jam big pocket pairs. Take them out of a readless range and its a snap call
    -----------

We dont mind folds when we have 22. Our expectation when flatted after minraising is not going to be better than 1bb, if we get called we are often a slight favotite anyway  and we dont have any inducing value. With AA we love it when J8s tries to exploit our wide raising range by bluff jamming, with 22 wed much rather they fold. Slight exaggeration,  but you get the point, even rags are flipping, shoving 22 shows the best expectation imo.

-------

I do think 55 is too strong to jam, there will be flops that we can contest and we have inducing value v A2, 3, 4, 5 22, 33, 44. Which form a large part of a 3bet jamming range. Makes a difference.

• edited January 2014
    Teddy, started reading your post, and got a bit lost along the way lol

Keep it simple;)

Are you saying that 55, fairs well against opponents range? And if flipping you would always call?

There is 1175 in the middle, and its only costing us 975 to call.

So basically 975 to win 2150, so we are getting 55%?

From a maths perspective on this basis against two overs it would be a call.

I suppose your tables above include, A2-4, 22-44s which we are well ahead of.

When you factor in overs, what are the %s?

It's quite an elaborate set up really, like when you talked about "nash"

Can't argue with the maths, but if you have an edge on your opponent, I don't see the point in potentially doubling them up on what most times will be a 50/50, althought mathematically your argument is sound.

• edited January 2014
    55 does great v an average 3 bet shove range.

We are rarely dominated, often slightly ahead and often way ahead.

----

Look at the composotion of a 3bet jamming range here:

Does it include AA, KK etc? Not likely, who wants fold equity with AA?

Some suited connectors like JTs are a favorite v our hand, but most villains flat those hands.

An average 3bet jamming range, then is heabily weighted to Ax, 22-88, some Kx and some bluffs.

We have more than enough juice to call here.

-'------

With regard to edge,  id argue that our edge 20bb deep comes from knowing when spots are profitable and maximising in those spots v our opponents range. Being nervous about doubling up an inferior opponent,  passing up profitible spots 'just in case', and waiting for a 'better spot' aint all that 20bb deep with ever increasing blinds. 

Half the time we win the match, the other half they double up, but we still win the match a significant % of the time after they double. 

In a few minutes time we will be at the shove or fold stage anyway and will be shoving all kinds of junk hoping fot folds. 55 is likely to be the best hand we get for a while.

We have a decemt pair

We are heads up

We are shallow 

Get it in.

Simple :)
  • edited January 2014

Great to see some discussion of HU hands.

What about lower pairs, 44 33 22?

• edited January 2014
    20bb, I think its best to open jam.

If you get flatted its horrible and you're unlikely to have better than 1bb expectation when eg T8s flats. Limping is puke-bad.

If you jam 33 for 20bb then a LOT of hands have the correct equity to call off: 76o, T6s etc. You're slightly ahead of that range so bring it on (small edges ftw innit) but here is the clincher: how many people will know enough about your range to call T6s  and 76o,  AND also  correctly fold A2 and A3? Not many. Most will fold hands its correct to call with and some will make terrible calls with A3 when that hand does terribly against low pairs. you are unexploitable AND induce mistakes from the genral population of players.

If you do see people calling suited connectors v your jam, you can further exploit them by jamming AK.

44 - 55 I think play better by minraising. There are more flops we can contest, and they have great inducing value against A2, A3, A4, A5, 22, 33, K2-5s all hands that are in 3bet jamming ranges 20bb deep.

22 and 33 dont have even that luxury.

But jam 44-55 tooif you are unsure what to do post or somone is a maniac post. its not terrible.

-----

Jamming them wont be bad, you cant be exploited, you either take 5% of the effective stack or have great equity against a villains overall calling range. Occasionally youll run into AA, but you werent folding to a 3bet jam anyway so, meh innit.

Plus, ducks never drown, baby.
  • edited January 2014

Are you calling off a shove with 4, 3,s 2s?

• edited January 2014
    In the bb facing a jam?

Depends in the oppo.

Readless id call 44+ 

we need 48.875% equity.

Against a likely jamming range of 22-55, ak we have more than that with 44, but not enough with 33.

Against a maniac im not folding a pair pre for 20bb facing a shove.

Even spew-bunnies wont waste premium pairs, and once they leave a range we can comfortably call off.

• edited January 2014
    In the bb facing a jam? Depends in the oppo. Readless id call 44+  we need 48.875% equity. Against a likely jamming range of 22-55, ak we have more than that with 44, but not enough with 33. Against a maniac im not folding a pair pre for 20bb facing a shove. Even spew-bunnies wont waste premium pairs, and once they leave a range we can comfortably call off.
    Posted by TeddyBloat

Hello all, Thankyou for the replies.
    Although the hand here is mathematically the correct call I can't help but think there's an argument like Larson and Jimb0 said to find a better spot if we feel as though there's an edge there.
    On checking your scope I noticed that you play mainly Hypers and Turbos. Do you think your strategy is aimed at that speed game were the maths is pretty much the name of the game? Were as I'm playing regular and speed [which I probably should have mentioned] and could have 3, 4, 5 mins of a level left to play, therefore make a fold.

• edited January 2014
    I do see where you are  coming from, but this is a great spot where we can put our villain on a pretty defined range and know we have the correct equity. You arent going to find many better spots to get all your opponents chips in the middle.

We adapt or ranges and tendencies in response to our opponents ranges and tendencies.

If we have the correct equity v their range, we call. Being scared of not getting it in super good is a huge leak.

It doesnt matter if blinds go up every 10 seconds or once a week. 20bb in a turbo is the same as 20bb in a standard speed.

Play a few hypers it will improve your endgame play  and give you confidence in marginal spots.

Readless I dont think this is marginal. Its a clear call.

If you cant minraise call here then jam 55. But then what do you do with 66, 77, 88? You have to be willing to get these pairs in 20bb deep imo. Minraise folding is pretty bad in my book. But im not an expert and am willing to concede i might be wrong if you want to disagree :)
  • edited January 2014
    Good discussion Teddy. I do agree with you that people tend to over-estimate the edge they think they have on their opponent. As you rightly pointed out a lot of our edge in these HU games should come from knowing the correct shoving & calling ranges. If we start passing up on +ev situations then it's our opponent who is gaining an edge against us. There are some occasions when opponent might be so bad that we don't need to take marginal situations but these are rare. (an opponent who is v passive & extremely stationary is the best example) - against someone bad but aggressive tho we don't want to be passing up on +ev situations.

• edited January 2014
    20bb, I think its best to open jam. If you get flatted its horrible and you're unlikely to have better than 1bb expectation when eg T8s flats. Limping is puke-bad. If you jam 33 for 20bb then a LOT of hands have the correct equity to call off: 76o, T6s etc. You're slightly ahead of that range so bring it on (small edges ftw innit) but here is the clincher: how many people will know enough about your range to call T6s  and 76o,  AND also  correctly fold A2 and A3? Not many. Most will fold hands its correct to call with and some will make terrible calls with A3 when that hand does terribly against low pairs. you are unexploitable AND induce mistakes from the genral population of players. If you do see people calling suited connectors v your jam, you can further exploit them by jamming AK. 44 - 55 I think play better by minraising. There are more flops we can contest, and they have great inducing value against A2, A3, A4, A5, 22, 33, K2-5s all hands that are in 3bet jamming ranges 20bb deep. 22 and 33 dont have even that luxury. But jam 44-55 tooif you are unsure what to do post or somone is a maniac post. its not terrible. ----- Jamming them wont be bad, you cant be exploited, you either take 5% of the effective stack or have great equity against a villains overall calling range. Occasionally youll run into AA, but you werent folding to a 3bet jam anyway so, meh innit. Plus, ducks never drown, baby.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    open shovin 20bb on sky is bad
  • edited January 2014
    Im willing to be persuaded why.

We know it is +ev which is a pretty decent benchmark.

If your minraise is flatted by T9 or J7s then those hands are basically break even v our hand in expectation. Jamming,  we gain 1bb v the the flatting part of his range that folds to a jam. Again 1bb in expectation is a very decent bencmark that the other options have to live upto v the flatting part of opponents range

Id certainly prefer open jamming to minraise folding which is being advocated in this thread.
  • edited January 2014
    I would open jam a lot here. Min-fold is gen bad but there are several players who never adapt to a frequent minr until they have sub 5bb and play fartoo tight and face ip pre...jamming premiums etc. so you can find a fold here if the blinds aren't going up soon. Def some bad players and a lot of luck involved in hu sngs so Iim beginning to think maybe teddy has the right idea here. Do you have a limping range Teddy?  
  • edited January 2014
    I would open jam a lot here. Min-fold is gen bad but there are several players who never adapt to a frequent minr until they have sub 5bb and play fartoo tight and face ip pre...jamming premiums etc. so you can find a fold here if the blinds aren't going up soon. Def some bad players and a lot of luck involved in hu sngs so Iim beginning to think maybe teddy has the right idea here. Do you have a limping range Teddy?  
    Posted by jimb0d1
    Against most players I have a limping range at most stack depths.

What that range is differs depending on the player,  the stacks and any dynamics going on in the game.

Cash and mtt players will wince at this:

It is a leak not to have a limping range against some players.

Limping only has to do better than folding. Folding loses us 0.5bb. Even uf we on average do as badly as losing 0.3bb with our limping range it is already better than folding. And we can manipulate our other ranges by limping certain hands.

Experiment v different opponent types and stack depths. Just use it to exploit, not as a default strategy.