You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was this played right on River with Aces?

edited January 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Here is a hand from a 2p/4p cash table earlier today.  Opponent had not been at table too long but playing a few hands.  I myself was having a pretty soliday profitable session to this point.

Was I right to play River as I did with my pockes Aces??  I check/raised for value, but should I have just bet out first?

Would be interested to hear of peoples thoughts on how this hand played out.  Btw, this is my first post here so bear with me as I get used to it! :-)

Hand:
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
PAUL_ALLIN Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £6.34
iatehorse Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £5.30
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

troggman Call   £0.04 £0.10 £2.72
rhino11 Fold        
stevieda19 Raise   £0.20 £0.30 £4.22
slackalice Fold        
PAUL_ALLIN Raise   £0.60 £0.90 £5.74
iatehorse Fold        
troggman Call   £0.58 £1.48 £2.14
stevieda19 Call   £0.42 £1.90 £3.80
Flop

• J
  • Q

PAUL_ALLIN Bet   £1.43 £3.33 £4.31
troggman Call   £1.43 £4.76 £0.71
stevieda19 Fold        
Turn

• K

PAUL_ALLIN Check        
troggman All-in   £0.71 £5.47 £0.00
PAUL_ALLIN Raise   £1.42 £6.89 £2.89
PAUL_ALLIN Unmatched bet   £0.71 £6.18 £3.60
PAUL_ALLIN Show
  • A
  • A

troggman Show
  • K

River

• A

troggman Win Straight to the Ace £5.71   £5.71

Comments

• edited January 2014
    I'd just bet myself, pot is £4.70 and he has 70p left, he ain't folding.

FWIW, this is the turn, no decision was made on the river
  • edited January 2014
    All fine, just unlucky.
  • edited January 2014
    Doh, yes of course its the Turn not River.  New that but was in hurry as original post was while I was at work!!

I thought it was unlucky as well.
  • edited January 2014
    Pretty standard because he has such a small stack.

Say on the turn you check to him, and the pot is £4ish.

And he has £4 behind, and you have £4 behind.

If you check and he jams the turn, what would you do?
  • edited January 2014
    To be fair, the king is an uncomfortable turn card for us, and when the guy shoves (ok, it isn't that much, but that's not the point really) I think we're beaten a lot of the time. There are a lot of likely two pair combinations out there now. Sure, we probably still call with the aces, but I don't think we should be too surprised to lose that hand on the turn.
  • edited January 2014

Ok, obviously it is the turn not river, and no you didn't play it right really. Firstly, ALWAYS be aware of effective stack size in a hand, and to me it looked like you were not aware of his stack size in this hand at all. Your mistakes were at flop and turn. If he calls you on flop he is never folding here. So put him all in here if you are going to bet, which of course you are. As played why would you check? Yes, it's not a great card, as it does give possible 2 pairs or straight with A10 and 910, but it is not really that relevant in this hand, which is the hand in question.

Simple fact is he was never folding after flop, so as played your check is pointless, as  you are not folding either for 71p into a pot that size. So you should have bet the turn. And again it shows you were not watching his stack size at all because you check raised a person that was allin. You shold be watching this preflop and druing a hand or your bet sizing won't be as effective.