You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

turn of tables

edited July 2014 in Poker Chat
ok ive heard of running bad but dont tell me sky that when ive been getting rivered or losing against lower hands all day.. im not just talking about 1 or 2 tourneys im talking 10 differnt tourneys evey cash table i play i get done when last week everything i done was right thats not running bad that seems like a setup .. can any1 relate. p.s i love sky poker and prefer it to any other site but dont tell me its possible to run that bad

Comments

• edited January 2014
    small sample this could happen in 100 mtts in a row variance my freind :)
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to turn of tables:
    ok ive heard of running bad but dont tell me sky that when ive been getting rivered or losing against lower hands all day.. im not just talking about 1 or 2 tourneys im talking 10 differnt tourneys evey cash table i play i get done when last week everything i done was right thats not running bad that seems like a setup .. can any1 relate. p.s i love sky poker and prefer it to any other site but dont tell me its possible to run that bad
    Posted by DESERTTURK
    I am betting you didn't query this though, huh?
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: turn of tables:
    small sample this could happen in 100 mtts in a row variance my freind :)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    thanx IDONKCALLU i just wish it could be more realistic when i was doing the sucking out i was thinking wow this cant be real, im just saying if they could prove that the cards are coming out AUTO and not by whatever card the computer wishes and to favour sum1 who has more chips so a player is knocked out then fine im running bad. cheers m8
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to turn of tables : I am betting you didn't query this though, huh?
    Posted by Slipwater
    hi SLIP i did not post my winning streak who would i just think it does not change that much in real lif ive been playing live tourneys and cash for over 8 years, but i do understand what u mean thanx m8

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: turn of tables : thanx IDONKCALLU i just wish it could be more realistic when i was doing the sucking out i was thinking wow this cant be real, im just saying if they could prove that the cards are coming out AUTO and not by whatever card the computer wishes and to favour sum1 who has more chips so a player is knocked out then fine im running bad. cheers m8
    Posted by DESERTTURK
    Why on earth would they wish to do that, Turk?

The computer does not & cannot "wish" something, it does not work like that. It has no emotions, feelings, & does not care a jot who wins or loses. Poker is an extraordinary, incredible, game, it does not need help from Dealers or software to spice it up.

Sometimes we just run really bad, other times we are hot. We can't go round inventing reasons for it, or blaming external factors - it just happens, it does not need help!

I hope your luck turns soon. It's all down to ability, & luck. If you have the game, you'll soon be fine again.

Nothing is more challenging to our character than a losing streak at poker. Stay strong during the bad runs, & you'll be fine. 

Good luck.      
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: turn of tables : Why on earth would they wish to do that, Turk? The computer does not & cannot "wish" something, it does not work like that. It has no emotions, feelings, & does not care a jot who wins or loses. Poker is an extraordinary, incredible, game, it does not need help from Dealers or software to spice it up. Sometimes we just run really bad, other times we are hot. We can't go round inventing reasons for it, or blaming external factors - it just happens, it does not need help! I hope your luck turns soon. It's all down to ability, & luck. If you have the game, you'll soon be fine again.   Nothing is more challenging to our character than a losing streak at poker. Stay strong during the bad runs, & you'll be fine.  Good luck.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    hi TIKAY i know the system has no feelings im not insane and i know poker has twists and turns and i suppose ur right im happy with my game and hope things turn around it means alot for you to respond to my message thanx man

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: turn of tables : hi TIKAY i know the system has no feelings im not insane and i know poker has twists and turns and i suppose ur right im happy with my game and hope things turn around it means alot for you to respond to my message thanx man
    Posted by DESERTTURK
    Good luck Turky, poker can be a brutal game sometimes, it really can.

Little story for you, & very topical.

I've been doing a little poker challenge, quite modest really, but quite important to me. At my age, self-esteem & confidence get a bit fragile, & flakey.

Anyway, I wanted to run £200 up to £1,000. I began playing cash, lost a third of the 'roll, so switched to PLO8 DYM's, which are THE lowest variance form of poker I've ever seen.

For 3 months, I kept at it, won £20 some days, £30 others, now & then lost a tenner, but the graph was inevitable, over 3 months, or 90 days, I kust kept adding to my 'roll in £10 & £20 increments.

Ten days ago, I was within a couple of quid of £1,000, wow. But I could not get over the line, I just kept losing a bit, winning a bit, losing, winning.

3 days ago, I was at £999.06! So close.

2 days ago, BOOM, I cracked it, won £37, & the 'Roll was now £1,037 or so. Chuffed to bits.

1 day ago.......I LOST £100. In one night. Just like that.

That is 50% of my starting 'roll, or 10% of my total 'roll. Gone, in one brutal session. 

I am competent at PLO8. Not good, but competent, & I understand DYM dynamics very well. And PLO8 is low-low super-low variance. 

And I lost £100 in one session, over 31 games, so more than £3 per game, with the average stake about £6. You can't do worse than that, nobody can, a blindfolded monkey could do better.

How do these things happen? I've no idea, but they just do.

Poker is an incredibly clever game, all because of the almost infinite varieties of results 52 playing cards can generate.

I would have bet anyone as much as they wanted that I could NEVER lose £100 in a session of 31 PLO8 DYM's with an average buy-in of £6. But I did.......

Don't think I did much wrong, either.

Keep your chin up bud, your luck - & mine - will change tonight. Probably.....       

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: turn of tables : Good luck Turky, poker can be a brutal game sometimes, it really can. Little story for you, & very topical.   I've been doing a little poker challenge, quite modest really, but quite important to me. At my age, self-esteem & confidence get a bit fragile, & flakey.   Anyway, I wanted to run £200 up to £1,000. I began playing cash, lost a third of the 'roll, so switched to PLO8 DYM's, which are THE lowest variance form of poker I've ever seen.   For 3 months, I kept at it, won £20 some days, £30 others, now & then lost a tenner, but the graph was inevitable, over 3 months, or 90 days, I kust kept adding to my 'roll in £10 & £20 increments.   Ten days ago, I was within a couple of quid of £1,000, wow. But I could not get over the line, I just kept losing a bit, winning a bit, losing, winning. 3 days ago, I was at £999.06! So close. 2 days ago, BOOM, I cracked it, won £37, & the 'Roll was now £1,037 or so. Chuffed to bits.   1 day ago.......I LOST £100. In one night. Just like that. That is 50% of my starting 'roll, or 10% of my total 'roll. Gone, in one brutal session.  I am competent at PLO8. Not good, but competent, & I understand DYM dynamics very well. And PLO8 is low-low super-low variance.  And I lost £100 in one session, over 31 games, so more than £3 per game, with the average stake about £6. You can't do worse than that, nobody can, a blindfolded monkey could do better.   How do these things happen? I've no idea, but they just do.   Poker is an incredibly clever game, all because of the almost infinite varieties of results 52 playing cards can generate. I would have bet anyone as much as they wanted that I could NEVER lose £100 in a session of 31 PLO8 DYM's with an average buy-in of £6. But I did....... Don't think I did much wrong, either. Keep your chin up bud, your luck - & mine - will change tonight. Probably.....         
    Posted by Tikay10
    yes m8 alot of bad beats then so its not just me,I suppose where we play online its just easier to blame it on something than when we play live. this is not the first time this has happened to me but the first time ive spoke about it I FEEL BETTER thanx for ur time guys..
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: turn of tables : Good luck Turky, poker can be a brutal game sometimes, it really can. Little story for you, & very topical.   I've been doing a little poker challenge, quite modest really, but quite important to me. At my age, self-esteem & confidence get a bit fragile, & flakey.   Anyway, I wanted to run £200 up to £1,000. I began playing cash, lost a third of the 'roll, so switched to PLO8 DYM's, which are THE lowest variance form of poker I've ever seen.   For 3 months, I kept at it, won £20 some days, £30 others, now & then lost a tenner, but the graph was inevitable, over 3 months, or 90 days, I kust kept adding to my 'roll in £10 & £20 increments.   Ten days ago, I was within a couple of quid of £1,000, wow. But I could not get over the line, I just kept losing a bit, winning a bit, losing, winning. 3 days ago, I was at £999.06! So close. 2 days ago, BOOM, I cracked it, won £37, & the 'Roll was now £1,037 or so. Chuffed to bits.   1 day ago.......I LOST £100. In one night. Just like that. That is 50% of my starting 'roll, or 10% of my total 'roll. Gone, in one brutal session.  I am competent at PLO8. Not good, but competent, & I understand DYM dynamics very well. And PLO8 is low-low super-low variance.  And I lost £100 in one session, over 31 games, so more than £3 per game, with the average stake about £6. You can't do worse than that, nobody can, a blindfolded monkey could do better.   How do these things happen? I've no idea, but they just do.   Poker is an incredibly clever game, all because of the almost infinite varieties of results 52 playing cards can generate. I would have bet anyone as much as they wanted that I could NEVER lose £100 in a session of 31 PLO8 DYM's with an average buy-in of £6. But I did....... Don't think I did much wrong, either. Keep your chin up bud, your luck - & mine - will change tonight. Probably.....         
    Posted by Tikay10

I'd have taken that bet ;)

seriously though... you should read about some of the downswings some of the diary writiers have had, who are mostly winning players...

Lambert180: lost around 100 buy ins playing cash a couple of months ago. Normally a winning player, and as of his last update was up 30 buy ins this week.

Myself: winning MTT player. I've lost £500 this week so far, over about 60 tournaments. but over the 400+ tournaments I have played this month I am up by more than that.

downswings can be longer and more brutal than you could ever imagine possible at first. Especially with MTTs. It does all even out in the end though.

• edited January 2014

Agree, Melty.

I started playing on 'Stars as soon as that site started, & I absolutely OWNED the NLH SNG's there, & playing $50 & $100-ers, I ran up a $27,000 'roll in no time.

I lost the whole lot, even quicker.

Variance, luck, heaters, coolers, whatever, no player on earth is immune.

• edited January 2014
    When we win money its easy to think its skill and when we lose its the RNG or variance etc. The key is to analyse your game both when you win and when you lose. Just because you won an MTT or had a winning cash session it doesn't mean you didn't make any mistakes. Also when we lose we might not have made a mistake.

Best of luck on the tables
  • edited January 2014
    When we win money its easy to think its skill and when we lose its the RNG or variance etc. The key is to analyse your game both when you win and when you lose. Just because you won an MTT or had a winning cash session it doesn't mean you didn't make any mistakes. Also when we lose we might not have made a mistake. Best of luck on the tables
    Posted by MattBates
    Well said. Never, ever stop looking at your own game.

• edited January 2014
    Posted by DESERTTURK
    Oh it certainly is. I do ok on Sky but last year I went 3 months, playing 2 tourneys a night approx, with only a single cash of about £16. Variance thats all.
  • edited January 2014
    i went 6 months running terribly not just on sky but all sites and in poker in general. Thought the poker 'gods' were conspiring against me but started to hit a bit of form and 'run good' over the past few weeks. Just a bad patch pal you'll get through it eventually it can take a few disgustingly sick beats but just keep at and you'll play through it. Good luck at the tables
  • edited January 2014
    Posted by Tikay10
    you know tikay when my friend first told me to play on sky (KIMPET) i gave it a try and did well str8 away cashed loads qualified for luton for 7/8 quid and came 3rd on side event , did not cash in main but came like 53rd out of 200 odd all was good till the same thing happened VARIANCE changed and i decided to give it a break and so i did for over a year only playing live at big slick and local snooker club. And in that time i never went through really bad swings as much as i do online. Now do i play to many hands or is it less likely to get a bad beat in real live comps. mind u my worst beat ever was i had kk against A3 flop k33 t3 r3 ouch.. 
  • edited January 2014
    matt do u actually look at your own game then the amount of run good u have ;)
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: turn of tables : you know tikay when my friend first told me to play on sky (KIMPET) i gave it a try and did well str8 away cashed loads qualified for luton for 7/8 quid and came 3rd on side event , did not cash in main but came like 53rd out of 200 odd all was good till the same thing happened VARIANCE changed and i decided to give it a break and so i did for over a year only playing live at big slick and local snooker club. And in that time i never went through really bad swings as much as i do online. Now do i play to many hands or is it less likely to get a bad beat in real live comps. mind u my worst beat ever was i had kk against A3 flop k33 t3 r3 ouch.. 
    Posted by DESERTTURK
    He made five of a kind?  That is rough  ;)

I've played for well over a decade now online and live.  I have had hot streaks where I flop set after set, I have had cold streaks where I have lost with Aces all in pre a dozen times on the spin.  Maths has its quirks and fancies.  Dealing with that and the emotional strain it can put on you (both positive as well as the more obvious negative) is as important, if not more so, than developing a technically sound game.  It's a game which ahs always been about the mental, that is why it has endured as a game for as long as it has, why it is more popular today than ever and why nearly everyone who gets a taste for it believes they can win at it.

It's one of the world's greatest mind contests on a variety of levels.

Good luck at the tables Sir
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: turn of tables : He made five of a kind?  That is rough  ;) I've played for well over a decade now online and live.  I have had hot streaks where I flop set after set, I have had cold streaks where I have lost with Aces all in pre a dozen times on the spin.  Maths has its quirks and fancies.  Dealing with that and the emotional strain it can put on you (both positive as well as the more obvious negative) is as important, if not more so, than developing a technically sound game.  It's a game which ahs always been about the mental, that is why it has endured as a game for as long as it has, why it is more popular today than ever and why nearly everyone who gets a taste for it believes they can win at it. It's one of the world's greatest mind contests on a variety of levels. Good luck at the tables Sir
    Posted by TommyD
    That MattBates is a lucky so and so ;)
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: turn of tables : He made five of a kind?  That is rough  ;) I've played for well over a decade now online and live.  I have had hot streaks where I flop set after set, I have had cold streaks where I have lost with Aces all in pre a dozen times on the spin.  Maths has its quirks and fancies.  Dealing with that and the emotional strain it can put on you (both positive as well as the more obvious negative) is as important, if not more so, than developing a technically sound game.  It's a game which ahs always been about the mental, that is why it has endured as a game for as long as it has, why it is more popular today than ever and why nearly everyone who gets a taste for it believes they can win at it. It's one of the world's greatest mind contests on a variety of levels. Good luck at the tables Sir
    Posted by TommyD
    lmao A8 he had sorry
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: turn of tables : lmao A8 he had sorry
    Posted by DESERTTURK
    thats true whoever plays this game automatically think they are world class but thats not a bad thing i suppose more players to milk
  • edited January 2014
    Its not just the variance , there are loada of other factors like tilt, withdrawing money and chasing! You might now realise it straight away but losing a £11 buy in doesnt affect you when you have a healthy roll, lose a few on the bounce you check your roll then chasw your losses, my worst trait is positive tilt! I will win atourney, buy in to another tourney and totally play like a fish, buy into another do the same then i start chasing and bang my roll is gone! 
  • edited July 2014
    Posted by DESERTTURK
    I recently made the point that there must be some kind of manual intervention within the RNG because the algorithms do no reflect otherwise. I've been ridiculed by some for my comment, but strangely I've not won a single tournament since I took the decision to deposit no more funds to Sky Poker, all I'm doing now is using up my points to play freeroll, but I've never won one tournament since, despite the fact that I regularly did well on the 23:15 NL at £22 to play.
    Make up your own minds folks, I will deposit no further into this rigged enterprise, its been fun but my suspicions are being reinforced daily by what I am seeing until my points are gone...    
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to turn of tables : I recently made the point that there must be some kind of manual intervention within the RNG because the algorithms do no reflect otherwise. I've been ridiculed by some for my comment, but strangely I've not won a single tournament since I took the decision to deposit no more funds to Sky Poker, all I'm doing now is using up my points to play freeroll, but I've never won one tournament since, despite the fact that I regularly did well on the 23:15 NL at £22 to play. Make up your own minds folks, I will deposit no further into this rigged enterprise, its been fun but my suspicions are being reinforced daily by what I am seeing until my points are gone...    
    Posted by dairac
    Surely not?!
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to turn of tables : I recently made the point that there must be some kind of manual intervention within the RNG because the algorithms do no reflect otherwise. I've been ridiculed by some for my comment, but strangely I've not won a single tournament since I took the decision to deposit no more funds to Sky Poker, all I'm doing now is using up my points to play freeroll, but I've never won one tournament since, despite the fact that I regularly did well on the 23:15 NL at £22 to play. Make up your own minds folks, I will deposit no further into this rigged enterprise, its been fun but my suspicions are being reinforced daily by what I am seeing until my points are gone...    
    Posted by dairac

With posts like that find it hard to believe

• edited July 2014
    Posted by dairac
    I deposited about 2 years ago and havent deposited since - I have a steadily rising upward sharkscope graph over 8k games - how does that work with your theory?
  • edited July 2014
    I'm sure people used to complain that if they withdrew their money they would start losing - now it's the other way around?
  • edited July 2014
    Posted by dairac
    Hi Dairac,

It's not that strange, imo, but it is a tad disingenous, as it was only 2 days since you last won a Tourney. 

You made that Post @ 7.47PM on 20th July, & mention you used to do well in the £22 @ 23.15. 

According to Sharkscope....

You won the 23.15 £22 NLH on 18th July.

You won the same Tournament on 15th July.

You won the same Tournament on 13th July.

So it had only been 2 days since you won a Tourney, & you had won that Tourney THREE times in the previous SIX nights. Variance being what it is, not winning an MTT in 2 days is not that strange, is it?

PS - Many Congrats, that is seriously impressive. Rich Orford has only won one Tournament in 8 years.

• edited July 2014
    So you started a thread saying you beleive its rigged and how bad you,ve run and that you,ve stopped depositing, when in actual fact you,ve won 3 tourneys in the last week, but you,ve had 1 bad day.

No-one can complain about varaiance after 1 day. Many ppl including myself go months without a win but wouldn,t even dream of suggesting any online poker is rigged

I,m not having a go, but after reading the OP its a little misleading to say the least esp. when you ,ve seen some of the genuine losing runs suffered by some players on here (good players as well)

• edited July 2014
    So you started a thread saying you beleive its rigged and how bad you,ve run and that you,ve stopped depositing, when in actual fact you,ve won 3 tourneys in the last week, but you,ve had 1 bad day. No-one can complain about varaiance after 1 day. Many ppl including myself go months without a win but wouldn,t even dream of suggesting any online poker is rigged I,m not having a go, but after reading the OP its a little misleading to say the least esp. when you ,ve seen some of the genuine losing runs suffered by some players on here (good players as well)
    Posted by MP33
    Nor was I, but yes, it was a little misleading, hence my Post.