You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Prestige Or Money??

edited January 2014 in Poker Chat
Just something that has got me thinking lately...  

Which of these would give you the greatest sense of pride, Taking down an everyday tournament for a few hundred pounds or finishing around 9th-3rd in a big tourney for around a grand??

personally winning a tournemant always makes me far happier and gives me the biggest buzz, even though i play poker predominantly for the money. 

would be curious to hear what other people are driven by.

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Defo what ever makes you the most money
  • edited January 2014
    lol money obviously
  • edited January 2014
    Yeah deffo the bigger money. But how close would it have to be to change your mind...

Made up amounts but think I might prefer winning a GUKPT for £10k over coming 15th in Sunday million for say £10.5k
  • edited January 2014
    I play for the money but unless i win a tournment there is always part of me thats annoyed at going out no matter how much i have won... whereas taking a tournament down is the best feeling in poker imo
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Prestige Or Money??:
    Taking down an everyday tournament for a few hundred pounds or finishing around 9th-3rd in a big tourney for around a grand??
    Posted by jordz16
    I think this is a little flawed as there would be more prestige in finishing 9th at a big tournament (say a GUKPT) compared to winning an everyday tournament (say the £2.20 at 2:20, sorry rainman), but I know what you're getting at.

Personally for me it would be the money as that would allow me to buy into bigger events, and then eventually get prestige anyway by hopefully winning one of them! :-)
  • edited January 2014
    would u rather win 5 k  and a ukops bracelet   

or £5500 for coming 2nd in a tourney  be better ;)
  • edited January 2014
    Always the Prestige, Money will be gone long before the Prestige. Trying to give examples but they always involve Money aka Dylan12. 
    I like my 3 little bits of Sky Poker Prestige ;')
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Prestige Or Money??:
    Yeah deffo the bigger money. But how close would it have to be to change your mind... Made up amounts but think I might prefer winning a GUKPT for £10k over coming 15th in Sunday million for say £10.5k
    Posted by Lambert180
    You only think that is the case? Winning a GUKPT would be awesome. If the extra £500 means that much to you mate, I'll give it to you ;)
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Prestige Or Money?? : You only think that is the case? Winning a GUKPT would be awesome. If the extra £500 means that much to you mate, I'll give it to you ;)
    Posted by Slipwater
    Lol well yeah there's no 'think' about it for me either really, although coming 15th in the Sunday Mil is still a pretty sick thing to be proud of, I'm a sucker for hendon mob flags and obv would like a win on a big live tour :)

Can I have that £500 you offered though? ;)
  • edited January 2014
    I have had one or two decent wins on Sky, I may of talked about them before ;)  The win that means the most to me though was taking down the DTD.  That one win means more to me then any main event or 4 figure live cash could ever do.  
  • edited January 2014
    I play mainly cash but do I agree the feeling winning a mtt is awesome but tbh it`s all about the money baby!
  • edited January 2014
    How about:

A) you win the WSOP Main Event for $8 million

or

B) you take 2nd in the Big One for One Drop for $10 million

...I'm taking A every single time.
  • edited January 2014
    Lol it is all about the money unless ur rich where then you play for the titles.

Losing 2million for just the boast or you winning the wsop hell no id rather come 2nd in the big drop all day lol.
  • edited January 2014
    Nah, I think the difference between 8 million and 10 million is neglible really. If you get eight, ten really ain't that much more. The more money that's involved, the less relative difference there is between the sums.

It's like the Chris Rock joke...

You got 20 million and your wife want 10, big deal! You ain’t starvin’. But if you make 30,000… and your wife want 15, you might have to kill her.
  • edited January 2014
    How about: A) you win the WSOP Main Event for $8 million or B) you take 2nd in the Big One for One Drop for $10 million ...I'm taking A every single time.
    Posted by Slipwater
    B is more money initially, but A could be worth more money long term.
  • edited January 2014
    apart from the wsop main event I think I would always take the more money option.

try think of an example phil hellmuth wants prestige more than money but someone like say isildur would prob think money matters more than a bracelet or trophy.

prob not good example but think you get the jist lol
  • edited January 2014
    would u rather win 5 k  and a ukops bracelet    or £5500 for coming 2nd in a tourney  be better ;)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU

Rather win the ukops bracelet on the basis that I value the piece of silver at more than £500. Obv the latter 
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Prestige Or Money?? : I think this is a little flawed as there would be more prestige in finishing 9th at a big tournament (say a GUKPT) compared to winning an everyday tournament (say the £2.20 at 2:20, sorry rainman), but I know what you're getting at. Personally for me it would be the money as that would allow me to buy into bigger events, and then eventually get prestige anyway by hopefully winning one of them! :-)
    Posted by peter27
    Tell that to Mr Orford
  • edited January 2014
    The more ££££ you have, the more prestige matters :)