You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

poker books

edited January 2014 in Poker Chat
Basically, even though they'd probably make me better I find poker books make pretty tedious reads.

I bought one a few years back and read part of it, have tried Harrington on holdem on PDF and it bored me to tears.

Anyway, I was reading the books section on 2+2 and didnt see any input on Gus Hansens book 'Every hand revealed' A cursory glance on Amazon made me think even if this wasn't the best book it might be a more enjoyable read as its also telling a story.

I know its about 6 years old but would anybody recomend this book???

Does it have pop-up images of cards and chips???

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Really good book imo, it just won't make you much better at poker, but if you just want an entertaining read it's very good.
  • edited January 2014
    I think it is a brilliant book,enjoyable,especially, if you have an aggressive streak in you!
  • edited January 2014
    Waste of money in my opinion... You can read a book on how to drive a car but you can never out do actually getting in a car!

I've read most poker books and I've found the best way to learn is to play... Like most things people who are at the top of a certain game be it football or poker are born with it and the rest of us learn with experience.

Neither can be taught from a book...
  • edited January 2014
    really good book, well worth the read
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: poker books:
    Waste of money in my opinion... You can read a book on how to drive a car but you can never out do actually getting in a car! I've read most poker books and I've found the best way to learn is to play... Like most things people who are at the top of a certain game be it football or poker are born with it and the rest of us learn with experience. Neither can be taught from a book...
    Posted by ClintonH83
    Listen to this guy, from his bbv thread today he's killing nl4! ;)

ha only messing Clint.

Agree poker books are a waste of money but that's not because they don't help, but you can get most of them for free on PDF and you get better value for money buying coaching/using coaching sites anyway.

Only read 2 poker books myself, one was more an autobiography by Matt Matros, which combined strategy with stories, the other just cover to cover strategy by Harrington.

Enjoyed the Matros one a lot more.

• edited January 2014
    Waste of money in my opinion... You can read a book on how to drive a car but you can never out do actually getting in a car! I've read most poker books and I've found the best way to learn is to play... Like most things people who are at the top of a certain game be it football or poker are born with it and the rest of us learn with experience. Neither can be taught from a book...
    Posted by ClintonH83
    + 1 to this.

I read the Kama Sutra cover to cover. Did it make me better in bed?

Well, yeah, actually it kinda did.

As you were.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: poker books : + 1 to this. I read the Kama Sutra cover to cover. Did it make me better in bed? Well, yeah, actually it kinda did. As you were.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Mrsduck is in for the ride of her life.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: poker books : Listen to this guy, from his bbv thread today he's killing nl4! ;) ha only messing Clint. Agree poker books are a waste of money but that's not because they don't help, but you can get most of them for free on PDF and you get better value for money buying coaching/using coaching sites anyway. Only read 2 poker books myself, one was more an autobiography by Matt Matros, which combined strategy with stories, the other just cover to cover strategy by Harrington. Enjoyed the Matros one a lot more.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Sorry DOHHHHHH my post earlier in bbv wasn't suppose to come across as some sort of brag...  I  just wanted to show some of my hands and the crazy action I was getting in the short space of time
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: poker books : Mrsduck is in for the ride of her life.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Rides.

Plural.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: poker books : Ride s . Plural.
    Posted by Slipwater
    MrDuck will be spitting feathers at this.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: poker books : MrDuck will be spitting feathers at this.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    As long as MrsDuck ain't doing any spitting ;)
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: poker books : Sorry DOHHHHHH my post earlier in bbv wasn't suppose to come across as some sort of brag...  I  just wanted to show some of my hands and the crazy action I was getting in the short space of time
    Posted by ClintonH83
    aye only messing pal. U and mrdavies r 2 of my fave posters :D

Do you look anything like cartoon head off ideal?
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: poker books : aye only messing pal. U and mrdavies r 2 of my fave posters :D Do you look anything like cartoon head off ideal?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I have no idea who that is? haha But if he's getting fat and receding then I probably do... 
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: poker books : As long as MrsDuck ain't doing any spitting ;)
    Posted by Slipwater
    Gulp. I don't think MrsDuck saw this coming.
  • edited January 2014
    That's the spirit, harry
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: poker books : Gulp. I don't think MrsDuck saw this coming.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    ...we really should take this act on the road :)
  • edited January 2014
    I'm gathering that its entertaining but not all that edifying, bit like Mills + Boon.

My next act will be to try and get it without paying for it.

muahahahahaa
  • edited January 2014
    books  are out of date read a few i know i can read u be amazed

rather watch poker on internet or go on forums have a browse thru even the 861 show is great the peopleon there great analysts my game has come on a fair bit since i watched sky poker
  • edited January 2014
    Gus' book is really good. It's a light read and entertaining. Read it cover to cover about 100 times! The kidz will say it's "out of date" poker-wise, but what would I know about out of date? I'm still wearing the same jeans & t-shirts I had on 20 years ago.

• edited January 2014
    Poker training videos are the way forward. I'd recomend Dueces Cracked or Bluefire, however they you have to subscribe and pay monthly. They do have free 1 month trials though. You'll get so much more out of watching top players play and listen to their analysis and its well worth the £ imo.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: poker books : Ride s . Plural.
    Posted by Slipwater
    cripes..
    Ok guys, all joking aside I started writing on the Sky forum recently because I realised how warm, friendly and supportive everyone is. But it's not really feeling so warm, friendly and supportive now that I'm becoming the brunt of some sexual jokes.
    I want to feel comfortable and respected here like anybody does and if I don't then I won't contribute anymore.

Sorry to hijack this thread like this! As for books, I liked Phil Gordon's Little green and blue books when I was learning :)

• edited January 2014
    Op once sky broadband manage to get their act together and get my internet back I'll pm you a link to a free pdf online of Gus's book plus loads more.

Typing this on my iPhone and can't pm using it.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: poker books : cripes.. Ok guys, all joking aside I started writing on the Sky forum recently because I realised how warm, friendly and supportive everyone is. But it's not really feeling so warm, friendly and supportive now that I'm becoming the brunt of some sexual jokes. I want to feel comfortable and respected here like anybody does and if I don't then I won't contribute anymore. Sorry to hijack this thread like this! As for books, I liked Phil Gordon's Little green and blue books when I was learning :)
    Posted by mrsduck
    Try to ignore some forum posts... You get a lot of a nal (uptight) people on here! I can never undestand why some choose to go on this forum to be negative to people? I can understand maybe at the tables because your playing a game and involved but to seek out post to be negative/mock people is pretty sad... That being said Slipwater seems to be a nice guy and likes a banter so wouldnt take it to heart 
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: poker books : cripes.. Ok guys, all joking aside I started writing on the Sky forum recently because I realised how warm, friendly and supportive everyone is. But it's not really feeling so warm, friendly and supportive now that I'm becoming the brunt of some sexual jokes. I want to feel comfortable and respected here like anybody does and if I don't then I won't contribute anymore. Sorry to hijack this thread like this! As for books, I liked Phil Gordon's Little green and blue books when I was learning :)
    Posted by mrsduck
    Apologies, Duck. Malcolm and I were (of course) joking; albeit without your consent and/or knowledge.

Clinton's right - I am a nice guy... not so sure about the other one however :)