You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Diary Of Jake "Jacobjtayl" Taylor

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat
Hello again 

so some of you may of seen my 24 hour challenege which well didnt go so well for me. i enoyed writing about my sessions during the challenge and it was nice to talk to the community about poker and how things are going so ive decided to start this thread as some what a record on my next hurdle on sky poker. 

before i start about writing about current session i thought i would give you a little bit of my poker background 

i was first introduced to poker back in 2008 at the age of 15/16 it was my prom night and a few of the guys from school invited me to go other share a bottle of cider and play some poker, we were playing for 5-10p blind and i left with about £20 after starting with £3, when i was 15 this felt as if i had won the world series of poker, i was hooked. 

i didn't really play for money again  until i was 17. however the day after my prom i went online and set up an account with party poker and played on there play money tables. when playing in tournaments my granddad would watch me play and be amazed this boosted my confidence massively. 

i think i was about 18 when i made my first real money deposit on skypoker i thought im working why not put 10 in and see what happens, that evening i turned my £10 into a £80 however not being aware of Bankroll management saw me lose almost all of it. i then just messed around with what i had left.

i started playing home games with friends again i rarely left in the red zone i would always make a few pounds on what i brought to the table

poker really came part of me when i started university a few friends were playing on pokerstars so i signed up and started playing i think my total winnings 2013 were $12,000 but still my bankroll management skills were shocking and i dont think i finished the year in profit. 

so 2014 is where we are at now and ive been taking (trying to) my poker to the next level not in terms of wanting to go pro but looking into the strategies ect iv had mixed results so far, if you sharkscope me i reset my skypoker stats on the 9th i think and im currently about £19 in the red zone. 

However i have made a small bankroll for myself which i keep to one side for poker which i won on pokerstars in some tournaments:

$1.35 NL Hold'em [Turbo, Knockout], $7K Gtd  - which i came 8th for $109

so after that essay we up to date and i can tell you why im here 

my game has 101 flaws  in it and i love playing poker and want to improve my game so where better to do it than here on sky poker where the community is great. 

im going to start with a small amount of £10 its small because im not going to be going crazy im going to start playing the lowest stake SnG and work up from the bottom. This time its not about the money and the winnings its about getting myself into situations and learning how to deal with them .... IF i make money great but at the moment i want to get the experience and strategy nailed.

so ill keep you guys updated on this thread with all my activities ect

PS: excuse my grammar 

Comments

• edited January 2014
    In Response to The Diary Of Jake "Jacobjtayl" Taylor:
    Hello again  so some of you may of seen my 24 hour challenege which well didnt go so well for me. i enoyed writing about my sessions during the challenge and it was nice to talk to the community about poker and how things are going so ive decided to start this thread as some what a record on my next hurdle on sky poker.  before i start about writing about current session i thought i would give you a little bit of my poker background  i was first introduced to poker back in 2008 at the age of 15/16 it was my prom night and a few of the guys from school invited me to go other share a bottle of cider and play some poker, we were playing for 5-10p blind and i left with about £20 after starting with £3, when i was 15 this felt as if i had won the world series of poker, i was hooked.  i didn't really play for money again  until i was 17. however the day after my prom i went online and set up an account with party poker and played on there play money tables. when playing in tournaments my granddad would watch me play and be amazed this boosted my confidence massively.  i think i was about 18 when i made my first real money deposit on skypoker i thought im working why not put 10 in and see what happens, that evening i turned my £10 into a £80 however not being aware of Bankroll management saw me lose almost all of it. i then just messed around with what i had left. i started playing home games with friends again i rarely left in the red zone i would always make a few pounds on what i brought to the table poker really came part of me when i started university a few friends were playing on pokerstars so i signed up and started playing i think my total winnings 2013 were $12,000 but still my bankroll management skills were shocking and i dont think i finished the year in profit.  so 2014 is where we are at now and ive been taking (trying to) my poker to the next level not in terms of wanting to go pro but looking into the strategies ect iv had mixed results so far, if you sharkscope me i reset my skypoker stats on the 9th i think and im currently about £19 in the red zone.  However i have made a small bankroll for myself which i keep to one side for poker which i won on pokerstars in some tournaments: $5.10 NL Hold'em [Heads-Up, Hyper-Turbo], $1K Gtd  - which I won for $439 $1.35 NL Hold'em [Turbo, Knockout], $7K Gtd   - which i came 8th for $109 so after that essay we up to date and i can tell you why im here  my game has 101 flaws  in it and i love playing poker and want to improve my game so where better to do it than here on sky poker where the community is great.  im going to start with a small amount of £10 its small because im not going to be going crazy im going to start playing the lowest stake SnG and work up from the bottom. This time its not about the money and the winnings its about getting myself into situations and learning how to deal with them .... IF i make money great but at the moment i want to get the experience and strategy nailed. so ill keep you guys updated on this thread with all my activities ect   PS: excuse my grammar    
    Posted by jacobjtayl

good luck. 
  • edited January 2014
    nice one mate. Ive just started my own little diary on here and joined the forum too. Good Luck and see you on the felt (maybe)
  • edited January 2014
    Good luck with this Jake.
    Really like your opening post to this. Your attitude seems to be spot on.

The forum is a great place for you to improve your poker. If you put some hand histories etc in here, you'll get plenty of help. (From Gazza telling you to shove every turn,  to Ivan letting you know that you have 41.5467% equity) :)
  • edited January 2014
    So First session done 

very quick session this evening only played four DYM SnGs its still pretty early however all this talk about rounders is making me want to watch it. therefore after the post Im going to make a brew, bacon sandwhich and put it on. 

so out of the the 4 games i played i won 3. 

The strategy I have been using in theses games is fairly simple and has one key element 

NOT RUSHING!!!!

Past couple of sessions ive gone into DYMs and going out with guns blazing from the the word go, first 2 levels or so ive been playing really tight and its worked really well. The other aspect of my game ive changed since my down swing is not chasing cards, what makes a fish a fish ? they dont know how to fold! tonight if ive been in a situation where im not sure about ive folded and 9 times out of 10 the fold was the right call. in one game, i had a pair of keys with a Queen kicker on the board was K.!0,2 I min raised the player next to me went all in called by another player i wanted to call, but then i thought one of these players either has 3 of kind or K,A so i folded turns out my reading was a little wrong one of the players had a poket 9s and the winner of the pot had 10-2 and would of beat me with two pair.

at the minute ive been playing £1.15 games and my last game was a £0.60 as i said in the first post its not about the money but this isnt brilliant bankroll management ? Next session i will come up with some brief bankroll rules that ill follow but thus far so good

I do plan to put some of my hands up on here i just need to learn to do it first im sureits not rocket science but next post will include some. 

Session Games: 4  Wins: 3 Loss: 1

Diary Bankroll Balance: £11.97
    Diary Bankroll Profit/Loss: +£1.90
    2014 Total profit/Loss: -17.17

• edited February 2014
    Hey guys been a  while since last post but not had much poker time been really busy with uni work however I have played some live poker, some friends invited me over there were 8 of us playing for £2 buyin winner took all. I won the tourney for a £14 profit. 

Online wise ive played very little however increase yearly profit and im almost in the green 

will update again when i play some more thanks 

jake 

2014 Total profit/Loss: £-7.25
  • edited February 2014

Good luck Jake

best wishes,
    dev
  • edited April 2014
    So its been a good couple of weeks since ive last played properly had a couple of games but nothing major due to the high work load of uni work which included

Landscape Character Assessments 
    Conservation Management Plans 
    Statistics 
    Designing a circular recreation walk

but the good news is now that summer is almost here havent seen much of it as of yet but they say it always rains in wales. lets hope after my exams in may and i return to Cornwall for the summer break the weather improves.

although i havent played much poker laterly i have been working on my knowledge, exploring diffrent strategies and genrally reading up on the area. 

so whats next well 
    im going to try and put in at least 7 hours a week whilst revising for my exams enough of a break from the books but enough to get in the way of my academics and then over summer i plan loads more. 

im going to set a small target i think to reach before i start back a uni for my final year and this target will be a months rent, which is £300! resonable ? well i gotta dream big

so watch this space and hopefully the desk study of game will pay of and my actual game will improve 

Good luck at the tables all

Jake