You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Easy fold...?

edited January 2014 in The Poker Clinic

If this an easy fold? Thoughts on the guy was he was a bit loose, played quite a few hands... had shoved a lot like this but had never seen what he had as everyone folded. When he shoved I did think small flush? I didn't really know but thought if he does at least I have the J flush draw

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.11
BBB56 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.47
step4 Big blind  £0.04 £0.10 £3.16
the_scout Big blind  £0.04 £0.14 £3.16
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • Q

step4 Check     
the_scout Check     
nannymay23 Fold     
ClintonH83 Raise  £0.12 £0.26 £9.85
 Call  £0.10 £0.36 £3.01
BBB56 Fold     
step4 Call  £0.08 £0.44 £3.08
the_scout Fold     
Flop

• K

Check     
step4 Bet  £0.22 £0.66 £2.86
ClintonH83 Call  £0.22 £0.88 £9.63
 Call  £0.22 £1.10 £2.79
Turn

All-in  £2.79 £3.89 £0.00
step4 Fold     
ClintonH83 Call  £2.79 £6.68 £6.84
 Show

ClintonH83 Show
  • J
  • Q

River

Win Flush to the 10 £6.17

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Easy call I'd say.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Easy fold...?:
    Easy call I'd say.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    What Malcolm said. You have a load of river outs; just a pity none of them came in.
  • edited January 2014

Have to call then?

• edited January 2014
    Have to call then?
    Posted by ClintonH83
    Well he doesn't have to have a made flush at that point, which is what you're scared of. You already have a made hand.
  • edited January 2014
    To call here you have to think you're infront. If you put him on a flush you only have 7 outs 13%equity in the hand.

So 2.79+2.79+3.89=9.47, 2.79/9.47=29% equity needed to break even on our call.

So it depends on reads. If you think villain has flush its a clear fold. Obv if you think you're ahead it's a no brain call. You need villain to be super spewy to call here.

But normally a overshove like this on the turn does indicate a near nutted hand, so its possible to get away from this.
  • edited January 2014
    To call here you have to think you're infront. If you put him on a flush you only have 7 outs 13%equity in the hand. So 2.79+2.79+3.89=9.47, 2.79/9.47=29% equity needed to break even on our call. So it depends on reads. If you think villain has flush its a clear fold. Obv if you think you're ahead it's a no brain call. You need villain to be super spewy to call here. But normally a overshove like this on the turn does indicate a near nutted hand, so its possible to get away from this.
    Posted by mugsy78
    Not at 4nl my friend! 

They could be rocking up with absolutely anything here. Anything! Never passing nut straight with flush re-draw.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Easy fold...? : Not at 4nl my friend!  They could be rocking up with absolutely anything here. Anything! Never passing nut straight with flush re-draw.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Disagree. Even fish are aware of flushes and will slow down. I play nl4 everyday, its what i call the greedy bet. More often than not these huge bets are near nutted hands.

I'm not saying fold, i'm saying its player dependent.

Also i know villain quite well so i would have folded fwiw, but there are many spewtards i would of snapped off.
  • edited January 2014

I did think he had a small flush and in truth I never really know what to do here...  Some people say call, others fold.
    I'm asking because im a bit tilty at present and I don't know if I played it right or wrong?

• edited January 2014
    I did think he had a small flush and in truth I never really know what to do here...  Some people say call, others fold. I'm asking because im a bit tilty at present and I don't know if I played it right or wrong?
    Posted by ClintonH83
    If you put him on flush then its a clear fold as you only have 13% chance to win.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Easy fold...? : Disagree. Even fish are aware of flushes and will slow down. I play nl4 everyday, its what i call the greedy bet. More often than not these huge bets are near nutted hands. I'm not saying fold, i'm saying its player dependent. Also i know villain quite well so i would have folded fwiw, but there are many spewtards i would of snapped off.
    Posted by mugsy78
    I used to play plenty of 4nl back in the day, this would be a snap call for me vs the vast vast majority at that level.

OP, if you think you're behind then it is a fold however. But you should be ahead way more often than not in this spot at 4nl.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Easy fold...? : I used to play plenty of 4nl back in the day, this would be a snap call for me vs the vast vast majority at that level. OP, if you think you're behind then it is a fold however. But you should be ahead way more often than not in this spot at 4nl.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Its true that there are many weak players @nl4, but you have to know that villain is a real maniac to call here.
    There are different kinds of fish and its important to catergorise them. Some are passive and just call, others are aggro donks, some are just abc super transparent players who play their cards face up. However there really are not that many maniacs @nl4.

Most fish really are aware of flushes and tend to slow down when theres a possible flush out there.

Villain really has polarised is hand here, so hes near nutted or complete air balling. Its rare i see moves like this from any kind of fish with 1 pair 2 pair type hands after a flush card hits.

Even if he was spazing out here, i think the times he holds a flush heavily out weighs the times hes spewing here. Also the bet sizing is a subtle tell, it really does look strong and i think calling here will probably be -EV in the long term, unless you know villain is super spewy or on monkey tilt.
  • edited January 2014
    It's really not wise to use words like "spewtard" on a public forum. Personally I have no problem with "fish" but others would not be enamoured with its use either.

Anyway, raise bigger pre-flop. Lots of dead money out there and we're likely to be called pretty wide. We have position and a decent hand, so let them put in more. The old guide of 3x+1 works just fine 100BBeff. Whenever I've played at this level I'd always make my opens 3x or 4x+1 when there are limpers. The rake kicks the life out of you at these levels, so you've got to get maximum value from both your big hands and your pre-flop raise/c-bet pots.

We should probably raise the flop. This is a good flop for us to semi-bluff and it's tough for either of the villains to have a strong Kx hand. We're much more likely to be holding one of these.

The turn is probably a fold. I tend to agree that usually a big donk-shove is someone getting very excited because they've hit their hand and want to get it in. Against the villain's range we're probably in bad shape. It should be noted that the villain shoving the turn is not the one that donked the flop. If he held a set or two-pair it's a strange line to try to get it in on the turn, after the draws all come in, having not raised the flop.

It's unlikely that villain is just holding a bare flush draw, top-pair with a draw, two-pair, set or air. That leaves us beating an Ad with a low pair. That's not many hands.

In game most will call, of course. We hit our straight, after all.
  • edited January 2014
    Thanks for that Boris. I'll consider that if i ever think about writing spewtard fish again...
  • edited January 2014
    Chances of folding KK here? Opening better was loose so didn't give him credit for much but guy with 77 was decent player so I did think he might have AA...
    ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
     Small blind  800.00 800.00 28538.60
    ClintonH83 Big blind  1600.00 2400.00 38796.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

otislula Fold     
    willbourgh Fold     
     Raise  4800.00 7200.00 35330.00
    lozanlew Fold     
     All-in  28538.60 35738.60 0.00
    ClintonH83 All-in  38796.00 74534.60 0.00
     All-in  35330.00 109864.60 0.00
    ClintonH83 Unmatched bet  266.00 109598.60 266.00
     Show

ClintonH83 Show
    • K
    • K

Show
    • A
    • A

Flop

Turn

River

• J

Win Four 7s 88015.80  88015.80
     Win Two Pairs, Aces and 7s 21582.80
  • edited January 2014
    Never ever folding KK with a little over 20xBB.
  • edited January 2014
    Never ever folding KK with a little over 20xBB.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thanks Lambert... I always like to ask