You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The MattBates March Challenge...

edited February 2014 in Poker Chat
This may actually be pretty close.
If you check the tourne lobbys after 20 mins, Matt is usually out , or in top 5 .

He will crush you on FT , wins and cash won though.

GL

Comments

• edited February 2014
    I have challenged MattBates to a friendly MTT contest, over the course of one month.

On paper I am crushed, but that's fine because Rocky was meant to have been totally out of his depth against Apollo Creed too. However, if/when that happens, I will take it on the chin. Of course, that means I therefore have nothing to lose
    J

Matt – I know you have your regular MTT grind, and I’m not talking about interrupting that at all. You go about your games as usual.

Rules:
    1)      We both register for the same three tournaments every night.
    2)      The same tournament – as a part of this contest – cannot be entered two nights in a row.

Whoever goes deeper in each tournament receives one point.
    *   A bonus point is awarded for an outright tournament victory.
    *   If Matt or I bust first in a tournament, a bonus point is awarded to the other guy.
    *   So, technically, there are nine points up for grabs each day... although this is highly unlikely.

*   At the end of the month, the player with the most points... well, he’s the winner. 

I will start a thread, updating the points every day.

And just so we’re clear, in case anyone jumps onto the thread to shoot me down, this is meant to be fun.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: The MattBates March Challenge...:
    This may actually be pretty close. If you check the tourne lobbys after 20 mins, Matt is usually out , or in top 5 . He will crush you on FT , wins and cash won though. GL
    Posted by 1267
    Fair points, both... but it wouldn't be much of a challenge otherwise! :)
  • edited January 2014
    Ul Slip*

*To be posted 01/04/2014

• edited January 2014
    I chatted to MattBates on skype once.
  • edited January 2014

Should be a very short comp this one. Which if that is the case, Mattbates wins....close thread.

Oh......and LET THE HAND GO now Slip. I think I must of read about it 5 times today!!
  • edited January 2014
    u do know rocky was a film ?
  • edited January 2014
  • edited January 2014
    Its on!
    Posted by MattBates
    Sigh.

That'll teach me.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to The MattBates March Challenge...:
    All right, here is the suggestion: For one month (I was thinking March, because the UKPC interrupts February) I want to challenge MattBates to a friendly MTT contest. Yes, this is on the back of him flopping the world against me last night in the Mini Roller, but you know, whatever... I’m not bothered where the motivation comes from.   On paper I should be crushed, but that's fine because Rocky was meant to have been totally out of his depth against Apollo Creed. However, if/when that happens, I will take it on the chin. Of course, that means I therefore have nothing to lose J Matt – I know you have your regular MTT grind, and I’m not talking about interrupting that at all. You go about your games as usual. Rules: 1)       We both register for the same three tournaments every night (your choice). 2)       The same tournament – as a part of this contest – cannot be entered two nights in a row. 3)       Whoever goes deeper in each tournament receives one point (so a maximum of three points per night). 4)       At the end of the month, the player with the most points... well, he’s the winner.   I will start a thread, updating the points every day. And just so we’re clear, in case anyone jumps onto the thread to shoot me down, this is meant to be fun. I know, Matt, you will take it as intended. Besides, perhaps you will learn a few things along the way ;) Whaddya think?
    Posted by Slipwater

I have to say slip mattbates does actually run like god! but behind that he is a very very good player.... Il be watching this with intrest ! gl sir............
  • edited January 2014
    GL to both of you however wouldn't it be a better if it were who had made the most £££s at the end of the month?
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to The MattBates March Challenge... : I have to say slip mattbates does actually run like god! but behind that he is a very very good player.... Il be watching this with intrest ! gl sir............
    Posted by K8LOU
    I know he's a good player, mate.

If I fancied something easy, I'd have thrown the gauntlet down to Orford ;)
  • edited January 2014
    GL to both of you however wouldn't it be a better if it were who had made the most £££s at the end of the month?
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    On that basis, I suspect Matt would smash it, on the points basis it will be a lot closer, as somebody else mentioned earlier Matt's game makes it just as likely he'll bust in the 1st level as final table.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to The MattBates March Challenge...:
    All right, here is the suggestion: For one month (I was thinking March, because the UKPC interrupts February) I want to challenge MattBates to a friendly MTT contest. Yes, this is on the back of him flopping the world against me last night in the Mini Roller, but you know, whatever... I’m not bothered where the motivation comes from.   On paper I should be crushed, but that's fine because Rocky was meant to have been totally out of his depth against Apollo Creed. However, if/when that happens, I will take it on the chin. Of course, that means I therefore have nothing to lose J Matt – I know you have your regular MTT grind, and I’m not talking about interrupting that at all. You go about your games as usual. Rules: 1)       We both register for the same three tournaments every night (your choice). 2)       The same tournament – as a part of this contest – cannot be entered two nights in a row. 3)       Whoever goes deeper in each tournament receives one point (so a maximum of three points per night). 4)       At the end of the month, the player with the most points... well, he’s the winner.   I will start a thread, updating the points every day. And just so we’re clear, in case anyone jumps onto the thread to shoot me down, this is meant to be fun. I know, Matt, you will take it as intended. Besides, perhaps you will learn a few things along the way ;) Whaddya think?
    Posted by Slipwater

Yes but Stallone wrote the screenplay and he still only made it a draw.

Can't wait to see the footage of you pounding on a side of beef(god that sounds so wrong!)in a cold store.

• edited January 2014
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Yeah, apart from the fact that Bates in all likelihood would run away with the victory, I've never been a fan of making these things about money (similarly my 2014 leaderboard). That removes the element of fun and makes it personal. Yes, winning money is fun, but I'd like to keep it grassroots and 'competitive'.
  • edited January 2014
    no point for money 1 main even matt baes win and coul be over like slip said positions is better
  • edited January 2014
    Slip, are you still steaming?!
  • edited January 2014
    Slip, are you still steaming?!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    No idea what you're on about, mate ;)
  • edited February 2014
    I spoke to Matt at the UKPC over a few drinks and this challenge was mentioned. I advised him that I still want to do it, but I was feeling the sting of a few live beats and wanted to take a bit of time off, so perhaps April was a more viable option... but having been back only a couple of days I want to start playing again! :)

Anyway, I have added a couple of extra 'rules' in the opening post, which I think will add a bit of interest, and Matt, if you're still up for it, March is probably full steam ahead.