You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

at what stakes do people start to play poker instead of bingo?

edited February 2014 in The Poker Clinic
I guess there is no answer really to this one.   Does it depend on how much money they have to burn?
Am I just constantly running into lucky players?   It seems on every table played there is at least one player that will call just about everything on every street upto 20nl and most times they hit their flush, straight, full house or their lower kicker will pair up and beat my AK like its a wounded dog.   I seem to play so tight most of the time now it's getting to be a very boring game online which it never is live.  So how do you guys do it?  Do you all just sigh and lose?  cos at the end of the day when a person has seen your every raise till the bitter end the proof is in the actual cards,  you can't bluff 'em at the showdown. In frustration I tried the same tactics but oddly it didn't work very well at all!  They just seem to 'know' when to hang in there,  am I missing something?   And please, please don't tell me to 'run better'. 

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Hey

Have you looked at your own game, before criticising others?

If everyone is as bad as you make out, you should love playing these players. But instead you come here talking about "bingo" players and moaning.

Use this section to post hand histories and get some feedback on some of your hands.

If you don't enjoy online poker, versus live poker, quite simply don't play online.

I doubt anyone would say to you "run better". Have a look at your own game.
  • edited January 2014
    Have to agree with the above post. If you are losing then look at your own game, as it sounds like you have leaks. Maybe overvaluing AK, or bluffing when you know you are up against calling stations that aren't going to lay down a hand. List goes on of what could be wrong.

The simple fact is you should NEVER want to complain about bad players. You want players that will call with rubbish. Sure they will get lucky, but not long-term. Post hands to get input on them. It's ggrerat you think it is all them getting lucky, and maybe it is, oor rmaybe you have leaks you aren't seeing yourself. If it is just them getting lucky, then shrug it off. If you can't take the downswings poker is the wrong game for you, as it is a game over the long haul when it comes to money and if you profit or lose at it. Single hands are just well bull****

You think you've seen bad, but trust me you can see sick stuff at times. I watched a guy on another site the other day run blinding hot while playing 90% of his hands for TWO hours straight. He was a maniac playing loose-aggresive/aggresive making him a nightmare to play, and when people did look up he had it. Think he went up 4 buyins before he started to lose it.
  • edited January 2014
    everyone is playing poker at all levels, just some people play badly and get lucky - get used to it or give up poker.

• edited January 2014
    If you can't beat the people playing 'Bingo' , you definately wont beat the players playing poker.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: at what stakes do people start to play poker instead of bingo?:
    If you can't beat the people playing 'Bingo' , you definately wont beat the players playing poker.
    Posted by 1267
    :D
  • edited January 2014

I think that many people forget how much luck is in the game and how badly you can run. The great Doyle Brunson, arguably the best poker player ever, has often commented on how , at his prime, he ran bad for 18 months straight and couldn't buy a pot.
    Even Dan Harrington, who arguably wrote the book on both tournament and cash Hold 'Em, has waxed lyrical and openly about losing streaks.
    Gus Hansen has reportedly gone skint. Stu Ungar, who won millions by taking down the WSOP twice, died with only 400 quid to his name.

No-one played at higher stakes than these guys yet they have all suffered. Whatever stakes you play, you can't get away from it.

PS: Be extremely sceptical about these superstars who never seem to lose. Are they really better players than Brunson, Hansen or Ungar?

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: at what stakes do people start to play poker instead of bingo?:
    I think that many people forget how much luck is in the game and how badly you can run. The great Doyle Brunson, arguably the best poker player ever, has often commented on how , at his prime, he ran bad for 18 months straight and couldn't buy a pot. Even Dan Harrington, who arguably wrote the book on both tournament and cash Hold 'Em, has waxed lyrical and openly about losing streaks. Gus Hansen has reportedly gone skint. Stu Ungar, who won millions by taking down the WSOP twice, died with only 400 quid to his name. No-one played at higher stakes than these guys yet they have all suffered. Whatever stakes you play, you can't get away from it. PS: Be extremely sceptical about these superstars who never seem to lose. Are they really better players than Brunson, Hansen or Ungar?
    Posted by BigBluster
    Hansen's issue is down to him have no self-control at all when it comes to BRm, and poker isn't his only gambling vice. He lost a large part of his money playing something else if I remember reading something about him right.

And, no arguement at all on Harrington he did write the books, or at least books on both tournaments and cash game. Good books too, though some of it is a little old hat now compared to some more recent strats.

Thiink I enjoyed Gus's book more on the Aussie millions, even if I'd never play that way myself. Man has his style thats for sure.
  • edited January 2014
    I think that many people forget how much luck is in the game and how badly you can run. The great Doyle Brunson, arguably the best poker player ever, has often commented on how , at his prime, he ran bad for 18 months straight and couldn't buy a pot. Even Dan Harrington, who arguably wrote the book on both tournament and cash Hold 'Em, has waxed lyrical and openly about losing streaks. Gus Hansen has reportedly gone skint. Stu Ungar, who won millions by taking down the WSOP twice, died with only 400 quid to his name. No-one played at higher stakes than these guys yet they have all suffered. Whatever stakes you play, you can't get away from it. PS: Be extremely sceptical about these superstars who never seem to lose. Are they really better players than Brunson, Hansen or Ungar?
    Posted by BigBluster

Yes.

The high stakes online regs would crush Brunson or Hanson. not sure about Ungar. Its hard to day how good he would be in todays games.

dont get me wrong, they are both good players, but they are not on the same level as the top online players these days.

Hanson has lost more than $16m online, and over $1.2 million this year alone already. He is a fish by todays standards, especially with Holdem. Dont think he has ever been an online winner at holdem. Apparently his problem is that he plays too loose. nothing to do with BRM. He still probably has a lorry load more money too, so I wouldnt worry about him just yet though.

no superstars 'never lose'. They lose all the time. Cant think of a single 'superstar' that hasnt had a major downswing of some sort. Even the great Phil Ivey has lost $2.7m online since FTP was relaunched (although he is still close to $20m up).

• edited February 2014
    they say its easier to beat a lucky player than a good player anyday.  although my br suggests that i play 4nl i much prefer sitting at the 5p 10p games, mainly because i do find it a better game, and i enjot the mastercash tables. 

i understand what u mean at lower levels there is a chance u will have 3 or 4 callers every raise where on higher stakes u could miby only have one. 

but... u still have too decide if your good or bad to get the money in, in the long run if u are good enough you should be beating these bingo players, if u are not then it could be down to your game and thinking u are better when u are not, which is an easy mistake too make. "its them not me"  "how could u call there"  

post your hands here, the people on the forum whho have helped my game improve and starting too see my br inrease could help you.
    they take time out everyday too reply to these posts and dont hesitate too help and offer advice.

but any pro i think would much rather play the lucky bingo bad player everyday than an other pro.

thats my opinion  but not long ago i was thinking the same sort of thing, il play higher stakes that will suit my game.......
    IT WONT. it was my game that needed work and still does.