You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

QQ For your tourney life??? Call or Fold

edited January 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Played the 2.20 deepstack, was down to the last two tables when this happened??? how many of you fold & how many call???

nd History #738580335 (18:27 29/01/2014)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancenffc4evaSmall blind 200.00200.0016100.00MrCoxyBig blind 400.00600.0021901.25 Your hole cardsQQ   amyg666Fold    dazzercfcFold    DORANORaise 1600.002200.0028855.00nffc4evaFold    MrCoxyRaise 4600.006800.0017301.25DORANOAll-in 28855.0035655.000.00MrCoxyAll-in 17301.2552956.250.00DORANOUnmatched bet 8153.7544802.508153.75MrCoxyShowQQ   DORANOShowAA   Flop  1047   Turn  9   River  10   DORANOWinTwo Pairs, Aces and 10s44802.50 52956.25

Comments

• edited January 2014
    I'd be calling that off too.

Definitely not early enough to be a fold (I don't call with QQ for my tourney pre in early stages - unless its a BH or against a very wild player who had been aipf several times before)

x4bb from an unopened Button doesn't look strong on initial raise - presumably they have been x4bb opening with everything in which case its a very wide range to start. 

Like your reraise size.

It's hard to put them on AA even when they reraise all-in.

Obviously we don't want AA,KK but I feel JJ,TT, possibly even lower are still in range. AK definitely is and possibly AQ/AJs.

With 4.6k invested and 17 behind it would be a bad fold imo.

A double up should more or less lock in a FT and give us the stack to accumulate off the short to midstacks and we have good odds of getting there (before you know it is AA).

• edited January 2014
    I tend to think in terms of how many big blinds I'm willing to get it in with.
    AA - I'll get in 200 BB (I know that mathematically you should get in any number of BBs, but that's a different story)
    KK - 100BB
    AK/QQ - 40 BB
    AQ/JJ - 25BB
    AJ/TT/99 15BB

If first to act:
    Any 2 - 8BB
    If calling:
    Any pair, any ace, any 2 rainbow - 8BB

These are my rough criteria and I'm sure that others will differ.

By this table, you got in 43 BB with QQ. I would not criticise this play, or criticise the fold either. IMO it is borderline.

• edited January 2014
    Will depend on button tendencies...

Probably call in a vacuum due to table positions and the fact its a £2 Sky MTT.
  • edited January 2014

Bit tough, but think I call in lot of cases due to postions. He could be shoving quite light here thinking the 3bet is light because of his raise being on the button. Think if playing to win it would be a little sucky to fold, but it is slightly tough for me as i REALLY hate QQ. For me it is a cursed hand much like AQos. lol

• edited January 2014

Don't have guidelines for how many big blinds you're willing to put in the pot with particular hands. Your willingness to put chips in needs to change depending on the opponent.

I disagree with the 4x seeming weak. In a vacuum, I'd tend to think that a raise of this size is more likely to be fairly strong as the villain is trying to commit as many chips as possible to the pot pre-flop.

Given that the villain is the button, it's easy to give him credit for a fairly wide range, as this is the archetypal situation to steal the blinds - folded to us on the button. As I said above, however, the 4x raise looks like he wants to get money in the middle. So when we're deciding whether to 3-bet we have to be aware that there's a great chance that the villain will want to 4-bet all-in. We need to know what we're going to do in the face of a shove before making our 3-bet.

As we've decided to 3-bet, I'm not keen on the size of that 3-bet. I think it's so big that it declares our intention not to fold to a 4-bet. That's bad because it allows our opponent to play easy poker against us - he folds any weak hands and shoves any strong ones. Our sizing is so big that we're making it really hard for the villain to flat call.

After he opens to 4x, I'd want to be making a 3-bet to about 10x with the 53BB effective stack.

Having made the 3-bet which we think is probably too big to be flatted, we have to think that the villain is going to 4-bet shove with a range of hands we beat for that 3-bet to have not been a mistake. If we think that's the case, and he's going to shove here with JJ, TT, 99, AQ, AJ, etc., then it is a clear 3-bet-call situation.

• edited January 2014
    Well if im honest before i put the 3 bet in, id already made the decision that if he 4 bets me im shoving and if he shoves on me im calling, and the fact that its only a £2.20 tourney also played a factor, as soon as he shoved i thought he's on ak or even aq which i see alot of plyers shoving with which id quite happily take a flip with, also in my thinking was if i win the flip im also as said above pretty much guaranteed a ft and at a good chance of winning it.