You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Odd spot

edited January 2014 in The Poker Clinic

There had been a lot of limp calling from every other player (including the re-raiser in this hand).

I had stayed out of most pots unless I had a good hand.

Didn’t fancy a call here as I would be left with less than a pot sized stack and not even seen a flop. Folding doesn’t feel right either (but maybe I should have). By shoving I am getting about Even Money and I guessed (correctly) that the two limp callers would fold. Was I too optimistic to hope to be up against a hand no better than JJ or AJ - or are the odds correct against any hand?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceellimae9 Small blind  30.00 30.00 5810.00 pazz1 Big blind  60.00 90.00 3405.00   Your hole cards A Q       doonhamer1 Fold     downts5469 Call  60.00 150.00 9480.00 lisatd1010 Call  60.00 210.00 8475.00 sillymid Raise  240.00 450.00 7295.00 ellimae9 Fold     pazz1 Raise  810.00 1260.00 2595.00 downts5469 Call  810.00 2070.00 8670.00 lisatd1010 Call  810.00 2880.00 7665.00 sillymid All-in  7295.00 10175.00 0.00 pazz1 All-in  2595.00 12770.00 0.00 downts5469 Fold     lisatd1010 Fold     sillymid Unmatched bet  4070.00 8700.00 4070.00 pazz1 Show K K    sillymid Show A Q    Flop    9 5 Q       Turn    10       River    7       pazz1 Win Pair of Kings 8700.00  8700.00

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Just fold, he has raised most of his stack and is telling you he's really nutted.

"There had been a lot of limp calling from every other player (including the re-raiser in this hand)."

When this limper, suddenly goes crazy raising like this, I don't think he's ever doing with worse than AK,QQ,KK,AA maybe JJ.

Against most of his range we are gubbed, so i'd def just fold.

• edited January 2014
    Limper hasn't gone crazy Henrik, it's a cold re raise. Probably a fold due to the fact he should never be messing around with his stack size in this pot.
  • edited January 2014
    I don't think that AQ can take the kind of heat you're seeing here. 

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Odd spot:
    Limper hasn't gone crazy Henrik, it's a cold re raise. Probably a fold due to the fact he should never be messing around with his stack size in this pot.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Its a player who limps a lot, he has wen crazy raising half his stack.

Limper has gone crazy, read what people say.
  • edited January 2014
    Thanks for all the comments.

I suspected that my shove might have been instinctive rather than properly thought out.

Lesson learned the hard way!
  • edited January 2014
    Simple fold in this situation. Your facing a cold three bet from someone OOP who has basically committed themselves. Yes it's tempting to try and win what's in the pot already without showdown but another three key factors no one has mentioned are; 1/ the amount you've put in before the three bet is very low compared to your stack 2/ you have a very healthy stack and 3/ it's still very early. All these signs point to the fact you can find far better spots later on. Folding AK is fine here also. 
  • edited January 2014
    Same as the majority. I don't believe AQ is likely to be good here 99% of the time. Not sure why he just 3bet, as not likely he is really going ot fold with so much of his stack out there. For me it comes down to how much of a range is he likely to be doign this with. If you think he'd do it with 10% of his range or more than fine shove, but at this level of blinds and his stack I can't see it being that open. Far more likely to be closer to 5%, making you a total dog against everything he has other than JJ and flipping.

Certainly when you get 2 others  call him. Chances you are ahead of all of them virtually zero. Yes, the other two limp called, but if they limp call 800+ we can't be certain they fold. Fold for me at this point, as think there are better spots to put chips at than a potential luck fest shootout vs 3 others, where I'm likely a dog vs at least one of them.

Think if you credit him with 10% range you'd be a 40% equity vs his range against just him. If 5% of his range you'd be around 30% equity. If you get one or both of the other two call you could be right down at around 6%. So really for me an easy fold this time around....
  • edited January 2014
    As others have said, our AQ doesn't have much equity against the range of a usually passive player when he 3-bets. Against that range and this huge 3-bet size relative to his stack, we also have very little fold equity.

If you fold and he turns over JJ, that doesn't make your decision to fold wrong. JJ would probably be the bottom of the range we should give him... and might not be in there at all, depending on how infrequently we've seen him 3-bet. So against his range, the fold would have been the right decision.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Odd spot:
    In Response to Re: Odd spot : Its a player who limps a lot, he has wen crazy raising half his stack. Limper has gone crazy, read what people say.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Sorry sir, please find it in your heart to forgive me.

OP, cold raise for a large %age of their stack, AQ shrivels up here. Sigh pass methinks.
  • edited January 2014
    If the limp/callers fold then we need 36% vs villains range. Since the worst of his range is probably JJ+ and AK and we only have 30% vs that range then it's a clear fold. The limp/callers would need to be calling off the shove with worse Ax hands very often for us to consider shoving here (in this case although we're an equity dog vs main villain we can win a bigger side-pot against the other villains.