You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advic please

edited January 2014 in The Poker Clinic
The river was a desperate bluff, but what about the rest. Did I have the odds to go for the straight?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
gracie24 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.34
mickwill Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.34
  Your hole cards

badboy0007 Fold     
geordie822 Raise  £0.08 £0.14 £4.13
usoges24 Call  £0.08 £0.22 £4.60
saint21 Call  £0.08 £0.30 £3.06
gracie24 Call  £0.06 £0.36 £1.28
mickwill Call  £0.04 £0.40 £4.30
Flop

• K

gracie24 Check     
mickwill Check     
geordie822 Bet  £0.30 £0.70 £3.83
usoges24 Fold     
saint21 Fold     
gracie24 Call  £0.30 £1.00 £0.98
mickwill Fold     
Turn

gracie24 Check     
geordie822 Check     
River

gracie24 All-in  £0.98 £1.98 £0.00
geordie822 Call  £0.98 £2.96 £2.85
gracie24 Show

geordie822 Show
  • K

geordie822 Win Pair of Kings £2.73  £5.58

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Hi Gracie, not with your stack no. Given our stack i don't think we can call.

You're should either shove or fold.

Say you had £4 behind, then it's ok 2 call, because if we hit then we can win a lot more of our opponents stack.

It's nice our opponent lets us see a freecard on the turn, on the river i would just check fold.

But it was worth a try!
  • edited January 2014
    Yeah, either shove the flop (at the point where you have the most equity) or fold.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Advic please:
    Hi Gracie, not with your stack no. Given our stack i don't think we can call. You're should either shove or fold. Say you had £4 behind, then it's ok 2 call, because if we hit then we can win a lot more of our opponents stack. It's nice our opponent lets us see a freecard on the turn, on the river i would just check fold. But it was worth a try!
    Posted by LARSON7
    +1
  • edited January 2014
    I did PM you when this post was first up and was bugged, but I'll type one here to more indepth.

No, as others said, you don't really have the odds. You didn't have the straight pot odds to make the call and your stack size isn't really good enough to make sense as a call with implied odds either really. You should LEARN how to do odds yourself if you feel it is important, and it doesn't hurt to add this to your game at all.

You can learn to do it properly (just google it) or in the short-term you can use a shortcut that is relatively accurate. Count your odds to make your hand (in this case 8) and then times it by 4 or 2 depending how many cards you have to come, and you will get your percentage. So if you calling to hit on the turn with 8 outs you have 8*2=16%.

To turn that into odds you just do 100/16=6.26. This gives you odds of around 5:1. You then need to know your pot odds to know if you should make the call or not. Do do this you just see how many times the call you have to make goes into the pot. In this hand on the flop he bet 30p into a 40p pot making it 70p, meaning you had to call 30p into a 70p pot. Giving  you pot odds of just over 2:1. You need better pot odds than the odds to hit your hand for a call to be correct on pure math. So if your odds to hit the hand with one card is 5:1 you need over 5:1 pot odds to make the call.

The above doesn't account for implied odds though, which are odds you can add when you believe the pot will get bigger after you make your hand, and so effectively changing the pot odds. Also, the above math isn't 100% accurate but it will get you closse 99% of the time. The actual odds is around 4.9:1, but you can see the estimate is close enough.

As for the rest of the hand. The bluff was not a good idea. Yes it was the only way to win the hand having missed your draw, but at this level you will get a lot of donks that will not lay any pair down, let alone top pair. So I say keep bluffing to a low percentage unless you have cause to believe a person is able to make laydowns. And also you didn't have a lot behind to have the weight to majorly scare him off the pot. So two reasons why the bluff wasn't going to go through to often.

Add in the line you took made the bluff tough to sell unless he thought you backed into a flush, as those low cards rarely should have imprved you. If you'd C/R the flop or preferably donk bet the flop it would have got through quite possibly, but with your line, tough to sell.
  • edited January 2014

If we're going to play with a short stack, we should be able to justify our reasons for that. By that I mean we need to be able to say "I'm going to make more money from short-stacking because opponent A is doing XYZ which I can exploit." If we have no particular plan for short-stacking, we should really be playing a full buy-in and topping up when we drop more than two or three big blinds.

As others have said, once we've seen this flop with this hand in this position, we need to be semi-bluffing to maximise our fold equity while our hand is at it's strongest. I actually wouldn't agree with those advocating a check-raise on the flop, mainly because once we check we have no idea i) how much money will be in the pot when the betting comes back to us and ii) how many villains are in the hand, so if we check, we may have no fold equity at all when it comes back to us. The second of these is not such a big problem because our draw is to the nuts and, if there are a lot of players involved, we're in a situation where the pot odds are correct for us to get the money in profitably without fold equity.

We also have the problem when checking that, being multi-way, anyone betting is unlikely to be holding air and is therefore very unlikely to fold to what would be a relatively small check-raise.

So I think, once we've seen this flop with this short stack, we need to be donk-betting and not folding if we're set all-in. I'd probably make it 25p-30p. If we get multiple callers, we need to reassess on the turn.

All this brings us back to the decision we made pre-flop:

When calling with hands like 78o, out of position, we need to be able to win the pot without hitting a massive hand. If we can't semi-bluff effectively post-flop, then calling with these hands pre-flop, especially from a small stack, is not going to be a profitable idea.

• edited January 2014
    Semi-bluff with equity on the flop, rather than bluff when all our equity has gone on the river, especially after such a dry run-out. It's really tough for the 3 and 2 to have improved our hand.