You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Slowroll...?

edited February 2014 in The Poker Clinic
its not an instant call its certianly not a slowroll, you should have told him to **** right off!!!

Comments

• edited February 2014
    So I was playing a live game last night, and the only hand of any interest is this one.

I am dealt aces. I think I'm under the gun (can't remember). Blinds are 300/600. I raise to 1,500. Fold, fold, fold, fold, fold.

Small blind calls. Big blind folds.

Now, the small blind has shown about four or five big bluffs up to this point, on the turn or river, where he actually has nothing at all, so I'm wary of this from the outset.

Flop is KJ6 with two spades. I have the ace of spades. He checks; I bet 2,400. He raises to 5,000. I think for a little then call.

The turn is the nine of spades. Three spades on board. He open shoves about 35k. Now, I only have about 17k behind, so the call is for my tournament life. His check/raise on the flop made me think he was chasing a flush and his instant shove when the third spade came down almost solidified that thinking. KJ is also a reasonable possibilty.

Obviously I have the redraw to the nut flush, with only the river to come, but I am very concerned I am behind at that point, to either a flush or two pair... but as I said earlier, he has shown several massive bluffs, so this could be another.

I thought for probably ninety seconds/two minutes and then called (finally deciding he was bluffing yet again), and the guy flips over J7 offsuit - second pair; rubbish kicker! I was a mile ahead and it stayed that way with a blank river.

My reason for the post, and what got me annoyed - the guy to my right started berating me for slowrolling the guy; telling me it was an obvious and instant call with the ace of spades. Of course, it isn't a slowroll anyway, because I had nothing like the nuts at that point, but he said I had no business thinking about a call for so long.

I told him I'd agree if it was on the flop, but with the turn already out it's not such a certainty to throw your tournament into the pot hoping for a fourth spade on board. Even though the guy was a proven bluffer at the table, that's not to say that in that hand he didn't actually have the goods - those other hands could easily have been a set up for the sting, because he knew we had all seen him play games earlier.

He played it like a made flush (or at least KJ for two pair) so

Was I wrong not to call right away?
  • edited February 2014
    Should have told him to shut his pie hole.
  • edited February 2014
    sorry but it is an easy call imo vs a aggro fish if he has flush/tpair meh u made a good call, guy has no right having a go though he should have just called the clock and say nothing, but what would you be thinking about there? i doubt you are ever folding!!.....guy has been bluffing like crazy, you have shown weakness just flatting his raise on the flop, you have top of ur range, you have a redraw, nothing to think about really.....

when playing live you do have to think about other players games are slow and you only get a few hands between levels, and there is nothing worse than people take forever to make a decision.. i bet online you make a snap call?
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Slowroll...?:
    sorry but it is an easy call imo vs a aggro fish if he has flush/tpair meh u made a good call, guy has no right having a go though he should have just called the clock and say nothing, but what would you be thinking about there? i doubt you are ever folding!!.....guy has been bluffing like crazy, you have shown weakness just flatting his raise on the flop, you have top of ur range, you have a redraw, nothing to think about really..... when playing live you do have to think about other players games are slow and you only get a few hands between levels, and there is nothing worse than people take forever to make a decision.. i bet online you make a snap call?
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    Lol - I've played live plenty, so I do know these things!

As I said though - he played it like a made flush. I'm not just instantly calling, because I've only got one pair with the one-card redraw to come. Just because he has bluffed before doesn't mean he always is.
  • edited February 2014
    by the sounds of it you done evrything right tbh, and with his previous play making the call worth while would have been find too fold aswell i would say.  

did u enjoy last night how did u get on in the end, had too go out with the good lady so couldn't ,make it in, hope yous decide to this agin soon.

u get some good players in the alea and some like to run there mouth analysing others play. its can be very clicky with groups of people at the alea seem not too get invloved with each other but i seem to get on ok in there as i have mostly cashed my mtt's in there. 

did u play some cash afterwards? 
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Slowroll...? : Lol - I've played live plenty, so I do know these things! As I said though - he played it like a made flush. I'm not just instantly calling, because I've only got one pair with the one-card redraw to come. Just because he has bluffed before doesn't mean he always is.
    Posted by Slipwater

u are NEVER folding dont bs ur self, ur delay-calling 

because he has bluffed a load before makes this a snap call his range is wide folding would be a mistake and ur line allows him to make bluffs, i doubt he plays it this aggro with a strong hand anyways...
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Slowroll...? :  u are NEVER folding dont bs ur self, ur delay-calling   because he has bluffed a load before makes this a snap call his range is wide folding would be a mistake and ur line allows him to make bluffs, i doubt he plays it this aggro with a strong hand anyways...
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    I didn't actually say I was going to fold, but I certainly don't expect to be miles ahead all the time if/when I call. As for whether he plays it this strong - the game was filled with poor play, so it wouldn't have surprised me at all.
  • edited February 2014
    Slowroll no. Nitroll, maybe
  • edited February 2014
    I have no problem you taking time to think about it. I doubt against this villian you can fold given his history, but still when holding only an over-pair I don't think it can ever be called a slowroll when the board could have multiple hands that are ahead of you right now.

Guy should have called for clock if he was bothered, but calling it a slow roll is a little overboard. Most likely he just was throwing his toys out of his pram because he got found out and looked up.

Seriously a slow-roll is ONLY when you know you have the best hand, and the rest of the time it is just people talking bull****. If you take your time calling a preflop all in with AA, or take an age with the nuts. Those are slow rolls, this isn't even in the vaguest league of a slow-roll hand.
  • edited February 2014
    Def not a slowroll mate and def within your rights to think it over imo

Agree that v a guy like that its a much easier call but every hand is different and just because he has bluffed his @ss off up to this point dosnt mean he hasnt got you beat now
  • edited February 2014
    the great thing about playing live is that you get time to think things through
    it's good not to snap call 
    np
  • edited February 2014
    I was at the table the villian was a maniac and the guy sayin it was a slowroll just thought he knew everything tellin ppl how play certain hands just gotta laugh it off especially wen he doubled up 1st level playin his hand blind all way to river when opponents ships into him and he then looks see what he had and ends up he had nut str8 on river skill game they say lol.

but yeah u tanked for 2mins but felt like 2 blind levels :)
  • edited February 2014
    I was at the table the villian was a maniac and the guy sayin it was a slowroll just thought he knew everything tellin ppl how play certain hands just gotta laugh it off especially wen he doubled up 1st level playin his hand blind all way to river when opponents ships into him and he then looks see what he had and ends up he had nut str8 on river skill game they say lol. but yeah u tanked for 2mins but felt like 2 blind levels :)
    Posted by liamboi11
    Lol - you speak some amount of rubbish, man ;)
  • edited February 2014
    Not a slowroll, but I'd definetly be calling alot quicker than 2 minutes with previous history.
  • edited February 2014
    I'm with you slip. No way a slow roll and no way a snap call! Two mins is very reasonable to think about it IMO. The only thing I disagree with is putting him on a flush. Unless it's a baby flush I don't think he moves allin quickly with a flush. I would actually have been more concerned about a funky two pair hand that's scared of another spade. I think I still call but it's certainly not easy. 
  • edited February 2014
    I'm with you slip. No way a slow roll and no way a snap call! Two mins is very reasonable to think about it IMO. The only thing I disagree with is putting him on a flush. Unless it's a baby flush I don't think he moves allin quickly with a flush. I would actually have been more concerned about a funky two pair hand that's scared of another spade. I think I still call but it's certainly not easy. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    As far as I was concerned, the flop raise is either KJ, 10Q, AQ, or a flush draw... or an outright bluff. When he jammed the turn I discounted AQ and thought either the 'funky two pair' or the straight or flush. Ultimately I did call because he had shown all those bluffs. I'd have thought for more than two minutes had he been tight ;)
  • edited February 2014

Playing J7 like a boss ftw :)

Ofc this ain't a slowroll.

• edited February 2014
    Is kind of a slow roll .

You play online all week and make this type of decision all the time in less than 10 seconds. Lol 

• edited February 2014
    Is kind of a slow roll . You play online all week and make this type of decision all the time in less than 10 seconds. Lol 
    Posted by 1267
    Lol.

Shut up! ;)
  • edited February 2014
    Is kind of a slow roll . You play online all week and make this type of decision all the time in less than 10 seconds. Lol 
    Posted by 1267
    True on a site with no time-bank, but live or on a site with a time-bank then sometimes there is nothing wrong with taking a few moments to decide if you are about to do something dumb.

I'll bet there have been a few calls that you've made where you've kicked yourself a little bit for etc. :)
  • edited February 2014
    How can whoami say that the player should have called for the clock when you only thought about it for 2 minutes? It wasn't a supersonic hyper dyper* turbo was it? And to call it a slow roll is laughable.

* this word may be made up.
  • edited February 2014
    Yeh course you had to think about it even though he playing like an idiot. All you got is one pair he could of had an hand which you would call most raises from like q10 kj maybe with sumthin with 2 spades. Not an easy call!
  • edited February 2014
    How can whoami say that the player should have called for the clock when you only thought about it for 2 minutes? It wasn't a supersonic hyper dyper* turbo was it? And to call it a slow roll is laughable. * this word may be made up.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    calling the clock is better than giving abuse, and its what i implied, thinking for 2 mins or more weather to call, call or maybe call is not necessary its poor etiquette, but i find the abuse he got was unacceptable.

what's laughable is this thread, and your post, guy asks for an opinion i give mine end of.
  • edited February 2014
    You did absolutely nothing wrong. Tell him to fucl off and mind his own business.