You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should I have got away

edited February 2014 in The Poker Clinic
villain is a reg who plays about 4 or 5 tables, I have him down as a reasonable player at this level. I had just stacked him on another table though so normal play wasn't there as I think he started tilting a bit. 
Anyway I flop the idiot end of the straight and bet out, When the big re-raise comes in I just have a feeling and I was very close to folding. I just call and it's a brick given the flop. When he raises the turn I think I'm not folding a flopped straight and shove it in. Should I have been able to fold this hand and would you be able to?

Hand History #741180328 (02:35 05/02/2014)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceacemcque06Small blind £0.02£0.02£3.63gaze_rawkBig blind £0.04£0.06£3.16 Your hole cards65   bullabboFold    salazarRaise £0.08£0.14£4.64Zerocool7Call £0.08£0.22£7.27acemcque06Fold    gaze_rawkCall £0.04£0.26£3.12Flop  789   gaze_rawkCheck    salazarBet £0.20£0.46£4.44Zerocool7Raise £0.70£1.16£6.57gaze_rawkFold    salazarCall £0.50£1.66£3.94Turn  A   salazarCheck    Zerocool7Bet £1.25£2.91£5.32salazarAll-in £3.94£6.85£0.00Zerocool7Call £2.69£9.54£2.63salazarShow65   Zerocool7ShowJ10   River  5   Zerocool7WinStraight to the Jack£8.82 £11.45

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Virtually impossible to get away from this. Yes I hate being stacked with the idiot end of the straight, but he could be raising you on the flop with a set, flush draw or an overpair given if he tends to be passive preflop. Once you call it is hard to put down I think.

I did have a similar hand that I foldded the other day, but the line was different and so I was able to get out of it. But when only one hand beats you I think you have to get stacked and shrug about it.
  • edited February 2014
    I dunno what preflop action you're looking at Kam :s

Hero minraised the CO, it's a hand that's fine to open from the CO imo but I do prefer a 3x open. And there's no 3bet Kam. And nothing wrong with villian flatting a minraise on the BTN with JTo imo

Played the hand literally perfect (with the exception of probably 3x'ing pre), nothing you can do here but sigh.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Should I have got away:
    I dunno what preflop action you're looking at Kam :s Hero minraised the CO, it's a hand that's fine to open from the CO imo but I do prefer a 3x open. And there's no 3bet Kam. And nothing wrong with villian flatting a minraise on the BTN with JTo imo Played the hand literally perfect (with the exception of probably 3x'ing pre), nothing you can do here but sigh.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Totally right. I made the post just before 6am after being up all night. Not the wisest time to look at a poker hand, and I mixed up the flop and preflop I think some how when I was writing parts of it.

Agree about the 3x preflop if playing it. Still say 56 is on the loose end of my range, and less likely for me to play it on a loose table, but yeah my standard range isn't much higher. I agree though that it's not a terrible hand to raise from CO, except at loose tables which 4nl is as standard.
  • edited February 2014
    Open is a bit loose. On the one hand at 4nl we're probably less likely to be 3bet but we're also more likely to get more callers. If the table has been playing tight though and you reckon you can get it HU most of the time then it's completely fine. Generally from CO and earlier I don't play any non-suited connector hands. CO is just about fine but MP and UTG it just becomes bad.

When we get raised on the flop we could consider getting it in there and then but it depends on how you percieve villain. If you think he's going to be capable of raise/folding 2 pair here (or possibly raise/folding an OP) and we end up only getting it in vs sets/JT/big combo draws then we aren't in great shape and have only around 26% equity. If he isn't capable of folding them hands then we can have anywhere from 50% to 60% equity. It might be on the lower end tho since overpairs aren't a big part of his range given pre.

So just flatting flop seems fine. When the turn is a blank we are now a much bigger favourite vs his range and can have between 60% and 70% equity. It's probably unlikely he's now folding 2 pair. I guess if he does and is still only getting it in with sets and JT then that's not great for us because we have only 30% equity vs that but that doesn't matter because we win a lot anyway the times he decides to fold.

• edited February 2014
    I agree the open is too loose for 4nl. Your just not getting enough folds if at any point your turning your hand into a bluff and  if you flop a pair your never sure where you are as opponents call down so loose. Raise 3x AT LEAST. and as for getting away. No. Your more likely to be against 2 pair hands and top pair decent kicker and I've even seen people stack off with any pair and a 10. 
  • edited February 2014
    At 4nl, GII on the flop is way more profitable than calling.

Never folding here.