You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AK in a Tricky Spot???

edited February 2014 in The Poker Clinic
This hand was near the bubble in last night's mini Bounty Hunter, my opponent raises to 1600 from an 8k stack. I pick up ak on the button with an 11k stack.
I raise it up to 4k with my thinking of making his decision either shove it all in or fold. Annoyingly he just flat calls my raise. Now im in a tricky spot on a 2 3 j rainbow flop, do i check and let him bet or do i bet an put the pressure & the decision back on him? i choose the latter and bet 4.6k, he thinks for a fair while and then shoves. I admit my flop bet was prob to big, no having put this much in the pot i am forced to call the rest.
He turns over a pair of 9's. The turn was a 7 & i luckily hit my ace on the river.
I got some stick in chat box for how poorly i played the hand, i may be wrong & im open to critiscism but i think my main mistake was the bet on the flop being to big.
My argument against my poor play was him flatting my raise pre flop, surely with a pair of 9's after my raise he either has to put the lot in and go with it or fold????

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancebbMikeSmall blind 400.00400.004903.12Nadz007Big blind 800.001200.0023020.00 Your hole cardsAK   gibbzyFold    supercrazyFold    thechancerRaise 1600.002800.008381.00MrCoxyRaise 4000.006800.0011181.25bbMikeFold    Nadz007Fold    thechancerCall 2400.009200.005981.00Flop  23J   thechancerCheck    MrCoxyBet 4600.0013800.006581.25thechancerAll-in 5981.0019781.000.00MrCoxyCall 1381.0021162.005200.25thechancerShow99   MrCoxyShowAK   Turn  7   River  A   MrCoxyWinPair of Aces21162.00 26362.25

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Just shove pre vs these stack sizes

• edited February 2014
    Don't think either of you have showered yourself in glory ;)

Putting him in pre flop. Failing that, deffo sticking him in on the flop, though your flop bet pretty much does this anyway. 

99 vs AK 4 handed whilst short stacked, it was all going in. The chips just went in in a slightly 'alternative' way.

-------------------------------------------

Reason why I put him in pre.....

1) It's a Sky BH.
    2) We don't want to give him the chance to fold his AQ/AJ/KQ/A10 type hands. 3betting him here pretty much says we have a huge hand. Just jamming looks less strong, deffo get looked up by any other big ace. 
    3) I want to see all 5 cards. As played, if he just donk shipped the flop, do you call with AK high? I'd say you probably should, but you wouldn't like it. Some might even fold. We could be getting pushed off a split or even pass the best hand. GII pre and he either folds or we see all 5 community cards and whatever happens, happens.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: AK in a Tricky Spot???:
    Reason why I put him in pre..... 1) It's a Sky BH. 2) We don't want to give him the chance to fold his AQ/AJ/KQ/A10 type hands. 3betting him here pretty much says we have a huge hand. Just jamming looks less strong, deffo get looked up by any other big ace.  3) I want to see all 5 cards. As played, if he just donk shipped the flop, do you call with AK high? I'd say you probably should, but you wouldn't like it. Some might even fold. We could be getting pushed off a split or even pass the best hand. GII pre and he either folds or we see all 5 community cards and whatever happens, happens.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    This. +1
  • edited February 2014
    So the majority say just ship it in then lol, tbh i did say to myself before i raised him pre, 'allthe chips are going in here' why i didnt just put it all in i dont know. oh well u live and u learn.
  • edited February 2014
    So the majority say just ship it in then lol, tbh i did say to myself before i raised him pre, 'allthe chips are going in here' why i didnt just put it all in i dont know. oh well u live and u learn.
    Posted by MrCoxy
    Hey, just to say you shouldn't say one thing and then another in the same thread. This post is totally at odds with what you said in your first post about how you expected the hand to go. Here you say you thought preflop all the chips were going in, but in first post you say your flop bet was too big.

Own your mistakes just like you'd own your well-played hands. Leads to a clearer thought process on hands you've played. If you say something different after the fact then you might let your mind believe that. One of these posts is the truth, not both. No need to cover with us if that was the reason, nobody cares enough, and we have all made bad plays with hands.

As a side note. You could declutter your hand posts too a bit. I'm wordy -  so I'm hardly one to talk, but you go over a lot of what is shown by the HH post it
  • edited February 2014
    Can anyone tell me how to post a hand history? I can get the hand I want up but how do I paste it into an email?
  • edited February 2014
    Can anyone tell me how to post a hand history? I can get the hand I want up but how do I paste it into an email?
    Posted by Leeroy546
    Find the hand you want, highlight the whole hand, right click and copy. then open up a new discussion in the poker clinic or if its a live show on the thread, then right click & paste.
  • edited February 2014
    Just shove pre vs these stack sizes
    Posted by NColley
    +1. Easiest shove in history.