You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Best £30 I've ever lost!!!!

edited February 2014 in Poker Chat
What a night!!!

So just on my usual dym grind with the 6 tables running and decide it's time for a smoke. So lift the laptop to the backdoor and light up. I get a real whiff of plastic burning and think I've thrown my last cigarette onto something a caused something to melt. So get my torch and start looking around....nothing there. Then I notice a little smoke coming over the my hedge alongside the neighbours house. So I go to investigate. Lights on my neighbours but nothing happening and no sign of fire. Smell of plastic burning is still quite strong. I turn to investigate round my house when I hear glass smashing from further down the street. I walk on down to the next house to see black smoke billowing out of the living room window!!!

The window of the living and frame has completely fallen out and I can hear a man speaking very faintly but cant see him because of the thick smoke. I shout in im going to phone the fire brigade. ran back to the house and phoned the fire brigade barely able to speak at this stage. I then go back to the house to see if I cant get the man out. The smoke is really really thick now but he's still talking. I eventually spot him down right below the window and try to get him out. He was an old man and i dont know if he is normally not able to move well or it was due to the smoke but he couldn't move. I pulled and pulled at him but couldnt move him!!!

I then tell im going to get help at whcih stage he tells me I need to get his wife too. I run to the neighbours house where I can see some lights on and I knock the door. No answer. I then jump up above their fence to see if there's anybody in the room. Now here's the best bit, they were at it in the living room. Well I say at it both of them were on the floor and neither of them were dressed lol

He rushed to the door in a panic and i said there's a fire help!! what i'd just seen completely forgotten about obviously. We ran to the house and the flames were now all over the living room. We reached in and between us managed to haul the man out and dump him on the driveway. Now we had to find the wife. I shone my torch in and shouted for her but got no answer and couldnt see or hear anything. Fire brigade arrived and took over. Turns out the wife wasnt even in the house which was a real relief.

The man was ok although was taken straight to hospital for smoke inhalation and my neighbour although embarassed returned the coat i'd lent him in his half naked state lol I'm totally shaken up now and need another smoke!!

What a night!!!

Comments

• edited February 2014
    crazy, you want to tell him about the £30 and see if he'll sort you out considering you saved his life. 

Well done, nice to see there are still some people willing to help others in their moment of need

P.S You want to try those electric cigs, I'm on them now and have been for 6 months, saving me a fortune and I feel better for it too. Still, I suppose if you weren't smoking at the back door, you wouldn't have been there to help
  • edited February 2014

His windows can be replaced, his walls re-decorated.

The damage the fire has caused to your sharkscope graph can never be repaired.

You'll have to live with that downward spike for ever :(

Nice work though JD!
  • edited February 2014
    well played sir for doing that, not all would do the same as you did so you should be proud of urself.
    love the neighbour part too, hope you got an eyefull of gash as a little reward for ur help!!!
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Best £30 I've ever lost!!!!:
    well played sir for doing that, not all would do the same as you did so you should be proud of urself. love the neighbour part too, hope you got an eyefull of gash as a little reward for ur help!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573

how do you never get warnings lol

great story as every1 ended up ok, wonder how the naked gal felt not bein finished lol
  • edited February 2014
    The smoking will kill you but saved him!  Every cloud and all that......

Wp tho JD!  The old guy really did run well this evening.
  • edited February 2014
    Where was his wife at?  She,d not popped next door had she? That would be awkward

Nice work JD

Ps - Just stopped smoking myself for a week with the help of those e-cigs. Well worth a try
  • edited February 2014
    Lol some cracking replies there!!!  

After all calmed down couldn't get to sleep 4 ages, think it was about 5am before I finally conked out. Don't know where the wife was all anybody knew was that the car was gone and she wasn't in the house! Guy I know from the local garage called in to me and said his son whose a reporter is going to contact me lol if I can plug sky poker surely worth a free tourney entry :)

Oh and rock no gash was spotted sadly!!! Your posts crack me up!
  • edited February 2014
    Great story. Well done John. Yeah, drop Skypoker's name into the report and I'm sure that's worth... ooo I dunno £60? (The price of winning those DYMS)...
  • edited February 2014
    The saying No smoke without fire is really true in this instance ! Well done JD though.
  • edited February 2014

Should this be in BBV??

BRAG - you got to see a naked woman
    BEAT -  you lost £30
    VARIANCE - where there is smoke, there is usually fire. Thankfully, it seems it was a good river and no one got burnt badly.
  • edited February 2014
    Should this be in BBV?? BRAG - you got to see a naked woman BEAT -  you lost £30 VARIANCE - where there is smoke, there is usually fire. Thankfully, it seems it was a good river and no one got burnt badly.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Well Played JD

Agree with maxxy that it  should be in BBV but i'd have though it was more a case of:

Brag: You saved someone's life
    Beat: Not enough of an eyeful
    Variance: you missed out on saving yet another life
  • edited February 2014
    Well done JD very nice post. The Superman of Holywood.

Ps did you win any of the games hehe
  • edited February 2014

WELL DONE JD.... very brave and gallant of you.

my vote for TOTP for sure

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited February 2014
    Well spoke to customer service to see if they'd consider any type of refund due to the extreme circumstances and they kindly offered to refund 1 of the buy ins. Considering there was nothing wrong with the software that's very generous of them.

Police called in last night as well while I was out getting a Chinese and they told my mrs there's a chance I might get a medal for bravery lol that'd be awesome!

Ps thanks for the totp noms devinfish and mp33 and the kind words from everyone else.
  • edited February 2014
    Wow JD, well played indeed!

Hope this doesn't mean the golf spreadsheets will be late this week ;)
  • edited February 2014
    Hat's off to you! well played!! :)
  • edited February 2014
    jdsallstars must be a nailed on for the next top of the posts after this!
    Posted by shakinaces
    +1, He gets my vote!