You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Good play?

edited February 2014 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
ClintonH83 Small blind  150.00 150.00 1785.00
 Big blind  300.00 450.00 10055.00
  Your hole cards

Fold     
 Call  300.00 750.00 16703.00
 Call  300.00 1050.00 6135.00
 All-in  2500.00 3550.00 0.00
ClintonH83 Fold     
 Fold     
 Call  2200.00 5750.00 14503.00
 Fold     
 Show

Show

Flop

• A

Turn

River

Win Pair of 7s 5750.00
Is this good play by 77 to flat the blind and then call the all in? Genuine question? Because I see this sort of play a lot... Id usually raise pre with 77 but is it good to flat with medium/small pairs and see what action happens after you and then make a decision?

Comments

• edited February 2014
    I wouldn't advise limping (or over limping) to induce with the smaller pocket pairs. More often than not you'll just induce a race. 77 is probably towards the lower end of the range to try this with. 22-55/66 just isn't strong enough to trap with really. At least with 77 there are a handful of worse PP.

It's not a bad tactic, but it requires you to know your table, know that you have a player to act behind who might try something and has the stack (and minerals) to do it.
  • edited February 2014
    No, it's pretty bad play. He is far to shallow with 20bb to be set mining with 77. Calling 2200 into that pot though is fine. It won't bust him and he is getting fair odds against a short-stack's shove range.

The call pre though is fairly dire in my opinon at 20bb deep.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Good play?:
    No, it's pretty bad play. He is far to shallow with 20bb to be set mining with 77. Calling 2200 into that pot though is fine. It won't bust him and he is getting fair odds against a short-stack's shove range. The call pre though is fairly dire in my opinon at 20bb deep.
    Posted by KAM99
    Kam, it's the big stack who has limped the 7s. I was puzzled at first! Not very clear in HH.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Should probably add to my comment....our table image will also play a part. If the 77 guy had opened every pot with a raise, then just suddenly limps here, it should arouse suspicion to people paying attention at the table. 
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Good play? : Kam, it's the big stack who has limped the 7s. I was puzzled at first! Not very clear in HH. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Should probably add to my comment....our table image will also play a part. If the 77 guy had opened every pot with a raise, then just suddenly limps here, it should arouse suspicion to people paying attention at the table. 
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Yeah my bad, mi-read the line. Blah, I guess it is ok in that case if he is waiting to call a shot-stack shove. That said, I'd like to have seen the SB and BB stack sizes. He limps with 4 left to act, with one at around 7bb, one at 20bb and two at?? If the other two are short as well then it's ok, and I guess it is even ok to set-mine at his stack level. Still, not sure I like the play. Short stack is going to shove there no matter what given his stack size. Limp got him extra 100 chips I guess.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Good play? : Kam, it's the big stack who has limped the 7s. I was puzzled at first! Not very clear in HH. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Should probably add to my comment....our table image will also play a part. If the 77 guy had opened every pot with a raise, then just suddenly limps here, it should arouse suspicion to people paying attention at the table. 
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Yeah my bad, mi-read the line. Blah, I guess it is ok in that case if he is waiting to call a shot-stack shove. That said, I'd like to have seen the SB and BB stack sizes. He limps with 4 left to act, with one at around 7bb, one at 20bb and two at?? If the other two are short as well then it's ok, and I guess it is even ok to set-mine at his stack level. Still, not sure I like the play. Short stack is going to shove there no matter what given his stack size. Limp got him extra 100 chips I guess.