You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Did i play this hand like a complete Donk???

edited December 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy

Hand History #216354653 (17:22 21/12/2009)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
halenpace Small blind   10.00 10.00 1610.00
N1CK Big blind   20.00 30.00 1970.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • J

reevey99 Call   20.00 50.00 2370.00
rv1 Raise   40.00 90.00 2230.00
nevtram Fold        
lehighEd Fold        
halenpace Fold        
N1CK Call   20.00 110.00 1950.00
reevey99 Call   20.00 130.00 2350.00
Flop

• Q
  • A

N1CK Check        
reevey99 Bet   60.00 190.00 2290.00
rv1 Fold        
N1CK Call   60.00 250.00 1890.00
Turn

• A

N1CK Check        
reevey99 Bet   250.00 500.00 2040.00
N1CK Call   250.00 750.00 1640.00
River

N1CK Check        
reevey99 Bet   750.00 1500.00 1290.00
N1CK Fold        
reevey99 Muck        
reevey99 Win   1500.00   2790.00

Comments

• edited December 2009
    possibly got a bit greedy by not taking it down sooner, but i :-

1 - possibly raise to 100/120 pre flop only a min raise to 40 b4 you

2 - i would also check the flop as youve flopped the nuts, to see if any1 c bets... maybe check raise his 60 bet

3 - when 2nd ace comes i bet out pot sized bet!! if hes got an ace hes calling and your still ahead

4 - good fold on river as hes got full house aaa 10 10 (we think)

i personally would have lost alot more as i would have pushed an the turn.. he had ace so snap call and he would have got lucky and hit full house.. you are favorite going into river tho so you would be up over a period of time.. (unless hes already got a house aq a10 in his hand)
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Did i play this hand like a complete Donk???:
    possibly got a bit greedy by not taking it down sooner, but i :- 1 - possibly raise to 100/120 pre flop only a min raise to 40 b4 you 2 - i would also check the flop as youve flopped the nuts, to see if any1 c bets... maybe check raise his 60 bet 3 - when 2nd ace comes i bet out pot sized bet!! if hes got an ace hes calling and your still ahead 4 - good fold on river as hes got full house aaa 10 10 (we think) i personally would have lost alot more as i would have pushed an the turn.. he had ace so snap call and he would have got lucky and hit full house.. you are favorite going into river tho so you would be up over a period of time.. (unless hes already got a house aq a10 in his hand)
    Posted by daz231023
    I wasnt being greedy, 1, i didnt really want to 3 bet pf out of position so early in the tourney with kj soooted, 2, i was pretty sure sum1 had some of this so i wouldnt of minded leading out then calling a reraise, 3 i could of bet out here to but i was thinking of chk/raise but when he bets the pot i convince myself he has a AJ, A9 kind of hand so if hes going to get it allin here he will get it allin on the river so i decided to see the river to make sure a nightmare card didnt show up, the only thing that bothers me here is should i of led out with some kind of bet on the river just to make sure or even check call just in case he was bluffing as i would still have chips left to play?
  • edited December 2009
    The first decision in poker is the most important.You sholdn't have called the raise in that postion with that hand that early in the tourney.You fold and we dont have this post easy lol.KJ aint a great hand but it must look pretty to you suited lol.You shouldnt be callin a raise thinking oh this is an alright hand i'll call,you should be thinkin what range would my opponent be raising with and if its qk or higher ur dominated.You got a lucky flop but more often than not u'll miss and lose chips in the long run.Say you shove on the flop and hes got A 10 and calls its game over dont call the raise dont have that senario.So many people in the early stages of a tourney limp with big hands.
  • edited December 2009
    The first decision in poker is the most important.You sholdn't have called the raise in that postion with that hand that early in the tourney.You fold and we dont have this post easy lol.KJ aint a great hand but it must look pretty to you suited lol.You shouldnt be callin a raise thinking oh this is an alright hand i'll call,you should be thinkin what range would my opponent be raising with and if its qk or higher ur dominated.You got a lucky flop but more often than not u'll miss and lose chips in the long run.Say you shove on the flop and hes got A 10 and calls its game over dont call the raise dont have that senario.
    Posted by jimifloyd
    i hear what your saying but it was only 20 chips and i was getting 4.5/1 my hand is a (pretty hand) but its also a drawing hand to the mortal nuts, i also know its a trouble hand which i think im good enough to get away from, and you said it "say you shove on the flop and hes got A 10" well i didnt did i lol
  • edited December 2009

So you called for odds nothing wrong with that and you got away from ur hand after the board got scary you didn't lose ur chips whats the post about then.How can u be a donk if u didn,t lose ur chips or get lucky with a bad call post flop.

Play the hand differently reraise with kj out of position would be a donk move.

If u shove on the flop ur getting ur money in,in front if u get a call thats unlucky.

Reraise him on the flop to try and push him off takes it down or you lose a few more chips than u did.

Wasn't havin a go m8 but a raise is a raise you dont know ur opponent as its early stages, see far to many people on this site raising big with big hands or min raising with big hands or limping with big hands.So take a raise regardless of size as a raise.On the flip side the best way to raise as it was quoted by jesus so its gospel is 4 times the big blind keep it the same all the time as this disguises ur hand strength with the exception of limpers add an extra blind to the raise for each limper.

You didnt lose many chips anyway m8 so its not a problem,you cant get it right all of the time just lay when ur in trouble which you did.

• edited December 2009
    I would lead out on the flop here nearly 100% of the time.  Why do this when the flop is rainbow and you have the nuts you may ask?  Well, with the exception of an underpair turning a set there is no card that can encourage a person deep into the hand that does not cause you a problem.  Also you hand is so disguised if you lead that aces with a ten & above will fancy their chances.  If you are up against a set/top two you will probably get a raise and from this you can either jam and get it all in with you ahead or flat trap with a view to attack the turn or trap on the turn, depending on the player.

A check raise on the turn does get a further bet into the pot but it practically turns your hand over as very strong and you'll only get action from a very strong hand, leading the flop gets this plus more.

As you played it, you had to make the decision on the turn, fold or jam, not call.  As played I fold the river as well.
  • edited December 2009
    I would lead out on the flop here nearly 100% of the time.  Why do this when the flop is rainbow and you have the nuts you may ask?  Well, with the exception of an underpair turning a set there is no card that can encourage a person deep into the hand that does not cause you a problem.  Also you hand is so disguised if you lead that aces with a ten & above will fancy their chances.  If you are up against a set/top two you will probably get a raise and from this you can either jam and get it all in with you ahead or flat trap with a view to attack the turn or trap on the turn, depending on the player. A check raise on the turn does get a further bet into the pot but it practically turns your hand over as very strong and you'll only get action from a very strong hand, leading the flop gets this plus more. As you played it, you had to make the decision on the turn, fold or jam, not call.  As played I fold the river as well.
    Posted by TommyD
    as i said before i was very tempted to lead out on the flop but as there was a limp then mini raise p/f i thought id check it to them and let sum1 else take the lead, i didnt put the min raiser on much as i think if he has a hand he would of raised more so it looked like he just wanted to see a cheap flop so im looking for the other 1st limper to take control which is what happend, this way it also helps me control the size of the pot, on the turn i felt the ace was a dream card for me when he bets the pot i feel 100% POS that he has an Ace so i have no decision here as i feel he is never going to fold this hand so i just check call again (pot control) then see a cheap river which i think kills my hand, if this hand was cash id be playing it much faster and looking to get the lot in on the flop or turn, but what bothers me about this hand is as my hand was so well disguised i might of folded the best hand and my 100% read on the Turn could be 100% wrong so maybe i could have been more active on the river ??
  • edited December 2009
    If you feel the Ace on the turn is a dream card for you why are you concerned with pot control?  From this post you seem to have him on trips and you believe he will never fold so why not jam here and get all the money in ahead with you as a decent favourite?

I still think it was the correct fold on the river.
  • edited December 2009
    i dont think you played it like a donk

probly a bit to passive unless villain had been 3barrelling air alot lol but i doubt it , as tommy d said the tur is probly a decent card 4 villain but ur prob still ahead so u shud raise/jam  turn.
  • edited December 2009
    i dont think you played it like a donk probly a bit to passive unless villain had been 3barrelling air alot lol but i doubt it , as tommy d said the tur is probly a decent card 4 villain but ur prob still ahead so u shud raise/jam  turn.
    Posted by royal_hugo
    ok if i put him on trip aces on the turn which i did im in front yeah i dont think he is folding his hand on the river so i thought lets see the river coz i can get it in there anyway this way i dont go bust.
  • edited December 2009
    Nick, I agree with Royal Hugo, you didn't play it like a donk but it was pretty passive.

Quick question Nick, what would you have done if the river was a K or J?
  • edited December 2009
    Nick, I agree with Royal Hugo, you didn't play it like a donk but it was pretty passive. Quick question Nick, what would you have done if the river was a K or J?
    Posted by TommyD
    i think i would just have to call it if it was a river K or J im either winning splitting or losing to a house pots 2/1 so it sounds about rite