You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Misplayed hand?

edited February 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Was very unhappy with the way I played this hand. I wont post too much information in regards to thought process and his range. General thoughts here calling off on the river?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancexSmall blind £0.10£0.10£29.52HYPETINGBig blind £0.20£0.30£35.77 Your hole cards88   eagle05Fold    A10u8Fold    kcxyzFold    marley1409Fold    xRaise £0.50£0.80£29.02HYPETINGCall £0.40£1.20£35.37Flop  A6A   xBet £1.00£2.20£28.02HYPETINGCall £1.00£3.20£34.37Turn  10   xCheck    HYPETINGCheck    River  8   xBet £2.40£5.60£25.62HYPETINGRaise £6.20£11.80£28.17xAll-in £25.62£37.42£0.00HYPETINGCall £21.82£59.24£6.35xShow

HYPETINGShow88         

Comments

• edited February 2014
    You hit your gin card!

Granted the bet sizing looks really strong or bluffy. So either you are a hero or a zero.

But I don't see how you would get away when you have 20 seconds to react. Was prob a heat of the moment call. A bit more thinking may of got you to lay down what was the 6th nuts when he shoves all in.

Result?
  • edited February 2014
    Also just to add. I am prob calling off too.
  • edited February 2014
    I'd be calling that shove. Did he have AA, AT or A6?
  • edited February 2014
    Was going to say fold but didn't realise the flush came OTR meaning he could potentially be over-valuing a flush. Even if he's over-valuing a flush it's most likely only going to be the nut flush. Suppose we give him 3 combos of the nut flush (KQ, KJ, KT) and then 66, AA, TT, all AT combos and 2 A6 combos (the suited A6) Against this range we have 33.3% equity. (ie. we'll be making the correct call 33.3% of the time) Since we need to call £21.82 to win a pot of £59.24, we need to be correct 36.8% of the time. Therefore, it seems like folding would be the correct play. For calling to be correct we would need to think villain is capable of over-valuing more flushes than just the nut flush or for him to be capable of bluffing in this spot.

I doubt any player at NL20 is going to bluff shove river in this spot after you've raised them - and if they are, you'll probably already have a good idea about their tendancies and be happy to call it off here!
  • edited February 2014
    Ok, his line is like way werid unless he has the flush here. If that is the case he way overvalued it, but not uncommon for people at this level to get stupid with flushes on paired boards. I can't see him having anything here other than flush, A10 (played oddly), 1010 (played oddly) or at the outside A8. It's the only hands that would make sense of his line. On that basis I have to call I think even if I don't like it, given that a shove over your reraise looks uber-strong.

If I had to put money on what he had. Flush or A8. Rest would make his line fricking werid, but hey people play odd lines sometimes. Only other thing in this hand I might comment on is that sometimes I might 3bet this hand preflop in a blind on blind raise. Good chance he has junk that you are ahead of.
  • edited February 2014
    Have to sigh fold against a reg here imo. Think every flush is gonna flat your river 3-bet + Villain is never gonna be bluffing here.

Fwiw 3-betting pre here bvb as suggested above is just really bad.
  • edited February 2014
    Thanks for posts.

Not played against him at NL20 before, but he did seem a decent player. 

Given the time of the timebar, I obviously called but it was a looooong tank call, if I had more time there I could realise I was beat. Which I was. Pretty obvious now that on the turn he is betting all Aces to get value from smaller pairs + FD's. So checking the turn with a FH makes sense now. 

He had A6o btw, gross spot but think its a clear fold, even though I called lol.
  • edited February 2014
    Ul mate just a cooler.

I posted up a similiar hand about a year ago flop came A33

I had 6s, vilian checked i checked, Turn a 6 he bet i re raised, he smooth called.

River x, he checked!! i bet he shoved, he had pocket aces.

Before i read your last post, i thought it was Ace 10. Ive hut my fh let's play it cute, on the river seemingly we don't have much 2 fear, his massive overbet shove is the biggest tell ever here. When he does this i think we are beat here most times. Hard 1 to fold tho.

It's never a bluff here imo. Or Flush