You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ask Thewy - Tournament Q&A with Julian Thew

124»

Comments

• edited March 2015
    We've committed 5BB out of 70 readless nearing the bubble on a table we are happy to be aggro on. Do we really need to risk our tournie life? won't there be better positions to GII than somewhere where we are probably no better than 50/50.
  • edited March 2015
    A lot would depend on reads wheather we have developed any dynamic with the guy you say hes relatively new to the table within an orbit.  I think 3 bet folding is fine here this deep were 3 betting for value expecting him to call with worse or if he decides to 4 bet we can consider flatting the 4 bet as dont think we are looking to get it in this deep.  In live poker people generally play straight forward id be amazed if he just shipped with something like aq.  Most of the time he will just have a big hand and we dont need to get it in were either gonna be flipping or in very bad shape.  I would fold and feel very confident about it.  People will say its button vs sb i dont think thats very relavant in this spot.
  • edited March 2015
    Thanks for the replies guys! 

I ended up tanking for about 5 minutes debating whether to call or not. I did end up calling and he had TT and i didn't hit. I guess i just called knowing he never has AA or KK there. The much more likely hokding are TT JJ QQ and AK. And more often than not it's going to be a flip. Maybe it's a mistake i dunno. One other thing i should mention is that there were some very very tough players left in the field. They probably have an edge over me. I can hold my own but i'm not as experienced as the others. 

But whatever, learn from your mistakes i guess :)
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Ask Thewy - Tournament Q&A with Julian Thew:
    We've committed 5BB out of 70 readless nearing the bubble on a table we are happy to be aggro on. Do we really need to risk our tournie life? won't there be better positions to GII than somewhere where we are probably no better than 50/50.
    Posted by GELDY
    No better than 50/50 but no worse than 50/50 either. I'm not saying we need to risk our tournie life - I'm questioning the 3bet in the first place if we're not willing to risk our tournie life. 

I disagree with bearlyther that we can 3bet for value but then fold to a shove. There are spots pre-flop where we can 3b for value and then fold but this isn't one of them. AK is a good starting hand but it doesn't exactly play that great in a 3bet pot OOP. By 3-betting we might fold out some of the hand we dominate - and the ones that we dominate that still call - even then, we're not going to flop the same TP as them that often given only 2 cards can come out for that to happen. Even when that does happen, we're not guaranteed to get their stack. 

But by flatting pre, we under-represent our hand and can still gain plenty of value when we both flop the same TP but with a better kicker.

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Ask Thewy - Tournament Q&A with Julian Thew : No better than 50/50 but no worse than 50/50 either. I'm not saying we need to risk our tournie life - I'm questioning the 3bet in the first place if we're not willing to risk our tournie life.  I disagree with bearlyther that we can 3bet for value but then fold to a shove. There are spots pre-flop where we can 3b for value and then fold but this isn't one of them. AK is a good starting hand but it doesn't exactly play that great in a 3bet pot OOP. By 3-betting we might fold out some of the hand we dominate - and the ones that we dominate that still call - even then, we're not going to flop the same TP as them that often given only 2 cards can come out for that to happen. Even when that does happen, we're not guaranteed to get their stack.  But by flatting pre, we under-represent our hand and can still gain plenty of value when we both flop the same TP but with a better kicker.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Given we are in the SB I would suggest we can 3b any hand we are playing. It gives us initiative in the pot and a lot of live players struggle to play 3b pots. If we are chipping up easily and don't expect him to do this with AQ/AJ/KQ then folding is fine as we will win plenty of chips risk free.
  • edited April 2015
    no worries sir & tx for jumping in geldy & mattbates!
    Posted by yoyo
    Yes great advice from Matt and Geldy, especially Geldy, the threat of demons is often under estimated in the modern game