You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Folding a set

edited February 2014 in Cash Strategy
Lead flop? Raise flop?

Sigh, kick cat, fold turn, apologise to cat and give him a cuddle when we see AK drawing dead  or KJ needing to hit river to set of Jacks??

Maybe..

Comments

• edited February 2014
    2 Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £49.75
    gazza127 Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £53.50
      Your hole cards

hurst05 Fold        
    60nine60 Fold        
    1 Raise   £1.00 £1.75 £76.06
    kcxyz Fold        
    2 Raise   £4.25 £6.00 £45.50
    gazza127 Call   £4.00 £10.00 £49.50
    1 Call   £3.50 £13.50 £72.56
    Flop

• K

2 Check        
    gazza127 Check        
    1 Bet   £6.50 £20.00 £66.06
    2 Call   £6.50 £26.50 £39.00
    gazza127 Call   £6.50 £33.00 £43.00
    Turn

• J

2 Check        
    gazza127 Check        
    1 All-in   £66.06 £99.06 £0.00
    All-in   £39.00 £138.06 £0.00
    gazza127 ?
    Now I know folding a set seems like setting fire to money in a situation like this.  But looking at villain 2s play here its clear he has a very strong hand.... and thats ingoring the fact that villain 1 has shoved.

Villain 2 is quite capable checking with top set here and letting other people fire away, but thats not to say he always has it here.

Just a curious one.  Should we EVER be folding here as we are undoubtably up against two strong made hands?

After all it is cash game strategy ;)
  • edited February 2014
    I don't like folding sets much, but there are times, and this does look like one. You might be ahead of one of them, but ahead of both? Some how I have to assume not. You had bottom set on flop and still on turn. Only draw that has got there is Q10 and that is unlikely they call flop on a gutshot or preflop for that matter. Given raise and reraise preflop maybe AK vs JJ/kk/99. AA seems unlikely, but posible I guess. Either way I think folding is right, even if you get to kick yourself when they show some dumb as rocks hands at showdown.
  • edited February 2014
    As played think we can fold turn, but I'd probably be raising flop to get it in (KAM99 - we have middle set, not bottom set), and if it happens to be flopped nuts v flopped 2nd nuts.... well that's just cruel.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Folding a set:
    As played think we can fold turn, but I'd probably be raising flop to get it in (KAM99 - we have middle set, not bottom set), and if it happens to be flopped nuts v flopped 2nd nuts.... well that's just cruel.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Wow, not sure how my brain got to him have 88 by the time I typed my post, but that is what I swore he had. lol

Yeah agree, I check raise with 99 to get it all in too. And still stick withh what I said on as played though, just like you. Can't see us being ahead often against both of them.

Sorry froro the misread though. :)
  • edited February 2014
    Pretty awful peeling here imo. Basically showing your opponent that you have 88-JJ
  • edited February 2014
    Only 100bb aswell. Defo fold pre, anyone else agree? Like what are you gonna do on 733, c/c give up turn? Mehh just so easy to play against 
  • edited February 2014
    Overthinking gazza.... we got a set in a 3b pot where the SPR on the flop is 4. Only reason I'm flatting flop is to get this kind of situation on the turn. 
  • edited February 2014
    Only 100bb aswell. Defo fold pre, anyone else agree? Like what are you gonna do on 733, c/c give up turn? Mehh just so easy to play against 
    Posted by RyanC7
    I was gonna say this too but Gazza doesn't like being told to fold pre :)

Cold calling 3bets 100xBB eff when we're OOP w/ 99 so effectively setmining is never gonna be good.
  • edited February 2014
    Posted by RyanC7
    yeah and hes not closing the action
  • edited February 2014
    I sigh fold pre. Check raise flop. Calling is read dependant on opponents. If there capable of getting it in with worse than us then I think you have to call. It's not the greatest spot but we have under repped our hand. We still have one out! :)
  • edited February 2014

Not folding here your hand is super underepped.

Everyone is saying c/r the flop. I disagree.

Given the action preflop/flop c/r here is signposting you have a set. As Ryan stated your range is 99-JJ + AQ here. There's no draws to rep and your raising into 2 players. Even a half decent villain is gonna realise you have 88/99 sooo often. Flatting the flop keeps your range tons wider and allows you to get the action you did on the turn.

I'd be folding AK here if you c/r this flop. (Unless your playing like a bit of a maniac) 

• edited February 2014
    Well I tank called in the end despite villain 2 looking so nutted.

Villain 1 had 89
    Villain 2 had AA

Someone perked up about a slowroll... but felt like it was close to a fold.

Good to see everyones opinion.

Thanks all.
  • edited February 2014
    too many monsters under the bed Gazza :)

calling 3 bets 100bb deep and folding sets is so terrible