You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What makes a total player?

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
Why the total player needs to be so much more than a total player!!
Theres been a lot of people not happy with the selections on total player so far, saying only the top players are getting picked….
This is obvious, was always going to happen, and in my opinion, SHOULD happen.
The total player needs to me much more than just a good poker player. The prize for the winner is to go and play against the BEST players in the world. - This shouldn’t be looked at as a holiday, or a bonus, the TOTAL PLAYER, should be going to the WSOP with the intention of WINNING the tournament.
The total player of course needs to be a good player, but we all know the game of poker isn’t only about cards, chips, raises and folds. - It’s played in the head.
Therefore, the total player must be determined, be selfish, be successful, be willing to improve, and do everything they possibly can to better themselves, and most importantly, they must be a winner!
Look at a Mcenroe (spellchek), a Schumacher (spellcheck), sir Alex Ferguson, Mourinho (spellcheck), Ali, Shane Warne - I’m sure u wud agree they r the best at what they do, and why? - Yes they’ve got talent, but they’ve worked hard to get to the top but most importantly - They’re winners and HATE to lose.
The most important attribute in any field is to be a winner! People are born with talent, its what you do with the talent that decides how far you go.
I’m sure there’s players playing 2p/4p and 30p DYM’s with talent, poker ability, but unless they are new to the game, they obviously haven’t had the desire to improve and better themselves so that they can progress and move up the levels.
How are these guys gonna feel sat next to world champions, what r they gonna do with their set of kings on the river when the 3rd heart comes facing a check raise from Tom Dwan in Vegas in a $10k buy in tourny?The total player should be exactly that! - So the higher stakes players r the correct choice.
GL ALL, DOHH
- P.S just a note, I think the concept is brilliant, however, I feel sky have got it the wrong way round. I think the short list should be decided by the players, after all we’re playing against eachother all day every day! - Then the experts shud look at the short list and decide who gets thru etc etc. Rather than the eventual winner be decided on the forum.

- Also, I dnt think that 10% of the winnings is significant when the expert is selecting players, Unless the player goes reallllllyyyyy deep in the ME, it isnt gonna be a huge sum of money. I rekon the expert wud take more pride in coaching a player to success than he wud picking up the pennies.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    FWIW I love this post.

n Response to What makes a total player?:
    Why the total player needs to be so much more than a total player!! Theres been a lot of people not happy with the selections on total player so far, saying only the top players are getting picked…. This is obvious, was always going to happen, and in my opinion, SHOULD happen. The total player needs to me much more than just a good poker player. The prize for the winner is to go and play against the BEST players in the world. - This shouldn’t be looked at as a holiday, or a bonus, the TOTAL PLAYER, should be going to the WSOP with the intention of WINNING the tournament. The total player of course needs to be a good player, but we all know the game of poker isn’t only about cards, chips, raises and folds. - It’s played in the head. Therefore, the total player must be determined, be selfish, be successful, be willing to improve, and do everything they possibly can to better themselves, and most importantly, they must be a winner! Look at a Mcenroe (spellchek), a Schumacher (spellcheck), sir Alex Ferguson, Mourinho (spellcheck), Ali, Shane Warne - I’m sure u wud agree they r the best at what they do, and why? - Yes they’ve got talent, but they’ve worked hard to get to the top but most importantly - They’re winners and HATE to lose. The most important attribute in any field is to be a winner! People are born with talent, its what you do with the talent that decides how far you go. I’m sure there’s players playing 2p/4p and 30p DYM’s with talent, poker ability, but unless they are new to the game, they obviously haven’t had the desire to improve and better themselves so that they can progress and move up the levels. How are these guys gonna feel sat next to world champions, what r they gonna do with their set of kings on the river when the 3 rd heart comes facing a check raise from Tom Dwan in Vegas in a $10k buy in tourny? The total player should be exactly that! - So the higher stakes players r the correct choice. GL ALL, DOHH - P.S just a note, I think the concept is brilliant, however, I feel sky have got it the wrong way round. I think the short list should be decided by the players, after all we’re playing against eachother all day every day! - Then the experts shud look at the short list and decide who gets thru etc etc. Rather than the eventual winner be decided on the forum. - Also, I dnt think that 10% of the winnings is significant when the expert is selecting players, Unless the player goes reallllllyyyyy deep in the ME, it isnt gonna be a huge sum of money. I rekon the expert wud take more pride in coaching a player to success than he wud picking up the pennies.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
  • edited December 2009
    Brilliant post DOHHHHH (spellcheck  :)
    Totally agree with everything you've said, as ive just replied in the official thread ...  How can this be  finalised by a free forum vote, after all some posters are "here today gone tomorrow"  people !! 
    A fee forum vote would be so unfair on the selected finalists ...Sky must make it clearer how this is to happen, and please god dont someone come on here and say..
     "All will be revealed later"   
    glk to all who are in the mix so far ..
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to What makes a total player?:
    Why the total player needs to be so much more than a total player!! Theres been a lot of people not happy with the selections on total player so far, saying only the top players are getting picked…. This is obvious, was always going to happen, and in my opinion, SHOULD happen. The total player needs to me much more than just a good poker player. The prize for the winner is to go and play against the BEST players in the world. - This shouldn’t be looked at as a holiday, or a bonus, the TOTAL PLAYER, should be going to the WSOP with the intention of WINNING the tournament. The total player of course needs to be a good player, but we all know the game of poker isn’t only about cards, chips, raises and folds. - It’s played in the head. Therefore, the total player must be determined, be selfish, be successful, be willing to improve, and do everything they possibly can to better themselves, and most importantly, they must be a winner! Look at a Mcenroe (spellchek), a Schumacher (spellcheck), sir Alex Ferguson, Mourinho (spellcheck), Ali, Shane Warne - I’m sure u wud agree they r the best at what they do, and why? - Yes they’ve got talent, but they’ve worked hard to get to the top but most importantly - They’re winners and HATE to lose. The most important attribute in any field is to be a winner! People are born with talent, . How are these guys gonna feel sat next to world champions, what r they gonna do with their set of kings on the river when the 3 rd heart comes facing a check raise from Tom Dwan in Vegas in a $10k buy in tourny? Thits what you do with the talent that decides how far you go. haven’t had the desire to improve and better themselves so that they can progress and move up the levelsI’m sure there’s players playing 2p/4p and 30p DYM’s with talent, poker ability, but unless they are new to the game, they obviously e total player should be exactly that! - So the higher stakes players r the correct choice. GL ALL, DOHH - P.S justa note, I think the concept is brilliant, however, I feel sky have got it the wrong way round. I think the short list should be decided by the players, after all we’re playing against eachother all day every day! - Then the experts shud look at the short list and decide who gets thru etc etc. Rather than the eventual winner be decided on the forum. - Also, I dnt think that 10% of the winnings is significant when the expert is selecting players, Unless the player goes reallllllyyyyy deep in the ME, it isnt gonna be a huge sum of money. I rekon the expert wud take more pride in coaching a player to success than he wud picking up the pennies.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    ed giddins you state you love this post ,

so what are you saying, 

you agree with  above post ?

what's the point in fooling these low stake players ,

saying they may have been  picked  ,

and that you were watching them .

• edited December 2009
    This is the bit of his post that I liked, terrible speeling but I cant relate to that !.

The total player of course needs to be a good player, but we all know the game of poker isn’t only about cards, chips, raises and folds. - It’s played in the head. Therefore, the total player must be determined, be selfish, be successful, be willing to improve, and do everything they possibly can to better themselves, and most importantly, they must be a winner! Look at a Mcenroe (spellchek), a Schumacher (spellcheck), sir Alex Ferguson, Mourinho (spellcheck), Ali, Shane Warne - I’m sure u wud agree they r the best at what they do, and why? - Yes they’ve got talent, but they’ve worked hard to get to the top but most importantly - They’re winners and HATE to lose. The most important attribute in any field is to be a winner! People are born with talent, . How are these guys gonna feel sat next to world champions, what r they gonna do with their set of kings on the river when the 3 rd heart comes facing a check raise from Tom Dwan in Vegas in a $10k buy in tourny? Thits what you do with the talent that decides how far you go.

n Response to Re: What makes a total player?:
    In Response to What makes a total player? : ed giddins you state you love this post , so what are you saying,   you agree with  above post ? what's the point in fooling these low stake players , saying they may have been  picked  , and that you were watching them .
    Posted by IRISHROVER
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: What makes a total player?:
    This is the bit of his post that I liked, terrible speeling but I cant relate to that !.  The total player of course needs to be a good player, but we all know the game of poker isn’t only about cards, chips, raises and folds. - It’s played in the head. Therefore, the total player must be determined, be selfish, be successful, be willing to improve, and do everything they possibly can to better themselves, and most importantly, they must be a winner! Look at a Mcenroe (spellchek), a Schumacher (spellcheck), sir Alex Ferguson, Mourinho (spellcheck), Ali, Shane Warne - I’m sure u wud agree they r the best at what they do, and why? - Yes they’ve got talent, but they’ve worked hard to get to the top but most importantly - They’re winners and HATE to lose. The most important attribute in any field is to be a winner! People are born with talent, . How are these guys gonna feel sat next to world champions, what r they gonna do with their set of kings on the river when the 3 rd heart comes facing a check raise from Tom Dwan in Vegas in a $10k buy in tourny? Thits what you do with the talent that decides how far you go. n Response to Re: What makes a total player? :
    Posted by EdGiddins
    so are you guys looking for proving winners,

or  players that need to improve ?

make up your mind please !

you cant have it both ways .

• edited December 2009

Wat does FWIW mean? -

I found it strange last night that the 2 'low stakes cash players' were shown playing 25/50p blinds and 50p/£1. Id class these as pretty steady/mid stakes - certainly the majority of tables on sky r lower stakes than these.

The spellin is shocking! I blame the spellchecker on microsoft word haha, - no need to learn to spell anymore! - EDIT - or even type properly!!

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    can i be in? played 10 tournaments and cashed in 8 .imo i think thats solid torn poker
  • edited December 2009
    can i be in? played 10 tournaments and cashed in 8 .imo i think thats solid torn poker
    Posted by Kdanem
    as i understand it, unless your total profit in these games makes the top 10 in your category you got no chance, no matter how tactically aware you were, unless im wrong lol
  • edited December 2009
    Posted by Kdanem
    are you serious ????? i doubt you know what a big blind is !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited December 2009
    At least my home is clean .u on ur diet yet??
  • edited December 2009
    Wat does FWIW mean? -   I found it strange last night that the 2 'low stakes cash players' were shown playing 25/50p blinds and 50p/£1. Id class these as pretty steady/mid stakes - certainly the majority of tables on sky r lower stakes than these. The spellin is shocking! I blame the spellchecker on microsoft word haha, - no need to learn to spell anymore! - EDIT - or even type properly!! DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    FWIW = For what its worth..
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Dohhhhhh,
    There are things in your post that i agree with but others that i totally disagree with.
    I put a post somewhere else on this subject and in it i said that if Sky only pick the higher staked players then it would lose credibility.
    Personally i would love the opportunity to have a mentor, as im a solid player that has won online and live, BUT i don't play that much so will not get picked, NO PROBLEM.
    You make a MASSIVE assumption that people playing lower stakes don't have the drive to improve and get forward.
    In my defence, at the moment i don't have a lot of spare money to play with so i pick and choose my optimum time to play.
    In the past i have played many top pros and held my own against them, so how would i react to playing the best in the world, bring it on.
    I TOTALLY agree with you that when i saw the level of small stake picks were from 25/50, it was a bit of a shock. What message does this send out to those players at the 2/4 to 5/10 stakes.

Finally, i have a question to Sky. Is this taking the place of Viva LasVegas?  So will this player be the only Sky Poker representative officially at the WSOP?

COL
  • edited December 2009

Aup Mr Mbro,

I think sky saying that every single player is in with a chance is abit of a bluff. Sure they will probably look at all the games just incase, but I reckon its a forgone conclusion that a big hitter will hit the jackpot.

Its like the FA cup, when the first round draw is made, the bookies will give u a quote on Darlington or Grimsby to win it, coz of course technically they are in with a chance - but they aren't really in with a shot.

A good achievement for these teams is to make the 4th/5th round, before theyre inevitably gonna come up against someone stronger.

The best that the low stakes players, or shud I say, the best that us lower stakes players can probably hope for is to make the top 50 then hopefully make the top 10 for the weekly show. But given the choice of a lower stakes player like myself and others who have got to the show, or someone who has played the ME twice and cashed twice, as Will apparently has, its just a no brainer.

Like being given a £20 free bet on an FA cup final between man united and millwall - who you gonna back?

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    HI Dohhhhhh,
    I agree with you but i was a bit miffed off when you said that people playing low stakes dont have to drive and determination to succeed. I would love to be able to spend more time and money to have a "chance" in this comp, but i dont so if i dont get picked im not going to bleat about it.
    My point was that, imo, i WOULD be an ideal candidate for this mentoring, apart from the amount of time i have got at the moment, as i fit the profile of a solid player how could learn to become a better player through this medium.
    I think Will Brewin should have, already, been Sky's first sponsored player, but it will be intereseting to see the range of players in the coming weeks.
    GL to you, hope you get another chance,    to just miss out lol, only joking m8

col
  • edited December 2009
    Mr mbro, you were one of the first players I admired when I came to Sky, so I for one would love to see you In the mix.
  • edited December 2009
    Mr mbro, you were one of the first players I admired when I came to Sky, so I for one would love to see you In the mix.
    Posted by BANDICOOT
    Hi Bandicoot,
    Thank for that my friend, but i fear im not playing enough at the moment.

col
  • edited December 2009
    That really shouldn't be an Issue as Imo they should be looking for quality as opposed to quantity. gl
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Dohhhhhhh,
    Great post mate and congrats on even making it into the top ten! Keep it up, I'm sure your time will come! ;)
    The one thing that really stood out for me was when you said "I feel sky have got it the wrong way round. I think the short list should be decided by the players, after all we’re playing against eachother all day every day!" If the forum could have nominated the players rather than sky picking from the top ten in the various categories each week, there would've been a better selection as I'm sure there are plenty of very good players (like mr mbro) who for one reason or another just don't make any of the "top tens"! Something to consider if Sky were to do this kind of promotion again!
    Good luck, hope you get another chance to impress!
  • edited December 2009

As I understand the aim is to pick the best players for the WSOP main event? Surely these should be slow structure deepstack MTT experts or players who have been consistent enough to move up the stakes at NLHE??

If I had to pick a horse to back to win the main event they would be selected from these pools, I would like to hear anyone who could rationally disagree?

Maybe the name is confusing as 'Total Player' would intimate skill at other games such as Razz, Stud and other variations - most of which are not on sky.

I think its a pretty cool idea and great for the people chosen, would never consider it myself as I dont play much NLHE anymore.

• edited December 2009
    I agree with a lot of the comments, why are they choosing top 10 players? these people know how to play, they don't need help, they should choose from the ranks of the newcomers who show promise, not me as I am only just beginning to take it a bit more serious, but it is difficult to play, using decent strategy, on lower stakes tourneys against players who don't know how to read a 'message' and just call with anything
  • edited December 2009
    these people know how to play, they don't need help, they should choose from the ranks of the newcomers who show promise

bottom four from premiership should also represent england in champions league?
  • edited December 2009
    Posted by Kdanem
    If you've cashed in 8 low buyin MTTs (say £1.10 or £2.20) you won't have made enough profit to get anywhere near the top 10 because someone cashing in one £33 buyin Primo will have made more profit than all your's added together. Even if you won all 8 you would only have made about £500 profit whereas someone winning a single Primo will make well over £3000 profit.
    Now, if they measured total profit as a ratio against total buyin you would have a serious chance of making the top 10. As they only split the cash players into low, medium and high stakes you have no chance if you are paying low stakes MTTs or STTs.
  • edited December 2009
    Posted by Kdanem
    If you've cashed in 8 low buyin MTTs (say £1.10 or £2.20) you won't have made enough profit to get anywhere near the top 10 because someone cashing in one £33 buyin Primo will have made more profit than all your's added together. Even if you won all 8 you would only have made about £500 profit whereas someone winning a single Primo will make well over £3000 profit.
    Now, if they measured total profit as a ratio against total buyin you would have a serious chance of making the top 10. As they only split the cash players into low, medium and high stakes you have no chance if you are paying low stakes MTTs or STTs.
  • edited December 2009
    As a personal opinion on this i think that they are looking for Skys BEST player. Not the richest player but the best. Will the high stakes players make up most of the entrants? Yes probably but that goes hand in hand with where they play. To mass a bankroll that can sustain you at £500 or £1000 NL then you either have to be independantly rich at the begining or you have built your roll through skill and time. Stands to reason that these players will be picked and rightly so. Are there good players at lower levels??? Yeah there are great players at lower levels but they are unlikley to be the BEST players, They would have built a roll by now if they were and would be competing at the higher stakes with the guys that have done just that. This is TOTAL PLAYER not TRIED TOTALY HARD AND DID QUITE WELL PLAYER

Thoses high stakes players who are just rich and not very good would not be selected as their Hand Histories wouldn't stack up to show the quality
  • edited December 2009
    DOHHHH, 

You made some good points in your post with regards to what a "total player " needs to have ...

However i disagree about the players at the micro levels, as in my experience there are some very good solid players at these levels they just don't have the bankroll, time, or indeed their personal circumstances don't allow them to risk enough cash to actually play at levels where they would possibly make significant amounts of profit.

On the other side i have also played at higher levels myself and just because someone sits and plays at $10/$20 NLH tables this doesn't make them "good players". Often there are as many fish and poor players at these higher levels as there are at the micro ones imho. The saying that "some people have more money than sense" comes into play here as if you think about it someone who can just join a poker site and deposit several thousand pounds is highly unlikely to want to play micro or even medium cash games.

I think the Total Player concept is an awesome idea and i wish all the best of luck to whoever makes it to Vegas .
    Having watched several of the shows where the mentors show why they select their "team" i have to say that a large percentage of the plays were pretty easy plays: EG ,Someone holding a pocket pair and hitting trips or the player sat with the nut flush and actually getting action ^^ . I believe there was one who had 4 of a kind and slow played it as you do . I mean come on its very easy to play when you are so far in front is it not?

Finally have to say i love the format and all the banter ,especially from Rich and Tikay. Just a shame Michelle left for pastures new as her and Tikay were a great double act not forgetting that she is also gorgeous lol.

Anyways Happy New Year to you all and all the best of luck on the tables.

WATTIE68

• edited December 2009

Hey Wattie,

I know what u mean about the hands that are shown, but honest it is hard! I was asked to find 5 hands to send in that I thought I had played well, and being a cash player, its hard to find hands which are show-offy, as most of cash is abc stuff. I imagine its the same for the tourny players, who are successful by stealing blinds, nickin small pots, being aggro in position etc etc. - Its hard to find 1 hand which shows off all their skills.

The skill I believe in cash is building an image, and then exploiting it. - cannot be done/shown in 1 hand.
    Theres hands which play themselves, set over set etc, but these dnt really show off any skills.
    Its hands where you flop a set, and get the top pair to pay you off, due to the loose/krazy image you have built up throughout the session. - Its really hard to portray this using 5 individual hands.

They look through all the hand histories though, not just the hands sent in, so they will have a good overall idea.

DOHH