You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

can someone help me understand something ed giddins said please

I was watching primo final table other day. Player with 10-10 pushed on blinds and was calls by A-K s. Ed went on to say that 10-10 is a bigger favourite against A-Jand A-Q than A-K. I don't understand. 2 overcards regardless must have same odds of winning right ? 6 outs with 5 cards to come. They share the same range of straight outs odds-wise so........ can someone help please or am I a bit thick ?

Comments

• edited December 2009

Maybe its more likely the aj or aq wud fold to the raise ? Thats all I can think of.....

DOHH

• edited December 2009

Hi shelski,

Ed was perfectly correct - but the difference is so small as to make no difference at all. And I do mean small!

Here are the odds (pre-flop) for all three options. I have assumed neutral suits.

T-T v A-K, the Tens are 57.12% to win.

T-T v A-Q, the Tens are 57.20% to win.

T-T v A-J, the Tens are 57.27% to win.

So, overall, at most, the difference is 0.15% - that's one seventh of one per cent.

Stats & %'s are weird things, eh?
  • edited December 2009

It's the relation of the kicker of the ace to straight possibility of the pocket pair making a straight.

AJ hitting the J against tens gives a better straight range of the other four cards for the tens than if the K hits AK.

The percentage is very small but over thousands of hands will play out.

I am a geek.

• edited December 2009
    Oh and to follow it up and really attempt to achieve full geek-hood.

Sometimes the overcards are a (tiny) favourite against the pair.  From memory JT suited is a favourite over pocket sixes & lower that do not share any of the suit of the overs.  This is down to the small flush/straight chances and the lack of straight/flush blockers.

Again from memory I believe AK suited v 22 is a true 50/50 (we're bringing in double board pair odds to counterfeit as well).
  • edited December 2009
    See What Are The Odds for a small sample of pre-flop odds.

It just re-inforces what TommyD said.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to can someone help me understand something ed giddins said please:
    I was watching primo final table other day. Player with 10-10 pushed on blinds and was calls by A-K s. Ed went on to say that 10-10 is a bigger favourite against A-Jand A-Q than A-K. I don't understand. 2 overcards regardless must have same odds of winning right ? 6 outs with 5 cards to come. They share the same range of straight outs odds-wise so........ can someone help please or am I a bit thick ?
    Posted by shelski
    Sorry to re-open an old thread, but you actually mis-heard Ed's analysis.

He was pointing out that AK is a big favourite against AJ and AQ, but slightly worse than 50/50 against TT.  Ed argued that the player with AK, who opened the pot for a raise, should fold to a shove (from the guy with TT), because there's only a couple of hands in his opponent's range that he's crushing.

Ed then asked the question: if you were in this situation - chipleader at the final table - would you call with AK...
    a) against an unknown hand?
    b) knowing your opponent had TT?

For the record, Ed answered "no" and "no".