You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is river bet too big?

edited February 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Slider73 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £18.63
mrdavies Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £22.75
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

Brova Fold     
BramlySlim Fold     
lurcha Raise  £0.40 £0.70 £25.01
mclair Call  £0.40 £1.10 £7.23
Slider73 Call  £0.30 £1.40 £18.33
mrdavies Raise  £1.80 £3.20 £20.95
lurcha Call  £1.60 £4.80 £23.41
mclair Fold     
Slider73 Call  £1.60 £6.40 £16.73
Flop

• J
  • Q

Slider73 Check     
mrdavies Bet  £4.00 £10.40 £16.95
lurcha Call  £4.00 £14.40 £19.41
Slider73 Fold     
Turn

mrdavies Check     
lurcha Check     
River

mrdavies Bet  £8.00 £22.40 £8.95
lurcha Fold     
mrdavies Muck     
mrdavies Win  £13.68  £22.63
mrdavies Return  £8.00 £0.72 £30.63

Comments

• edited February 2014
    I checked turn, to Rep AK, and hope he fires with a Q or J.. He checks behind so think he is pot controlling, with one of these 2. thats why i bet so big to make it look like a missed AK.

4-5 pound looks like value bet, so ddint wanna go that low, although turns out i proabbly would have been called by it.

any other thoughts on river bet?
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Is river bet too big?:
    I checked turn, to Rep AK, and hope he fires with a Q or J.. He checks behind so think he is pot controlling, with one of these 2. thats why i bet so big to make it look like a missed AK. 4-5 pound looks like value bet, so ddint wanna go that low, although turns out i proabbly would have been called by it. any other thoughts on river bet?
    Posted by mrdavies
    This is a great spot to bet turn, jam river.

Instead of thinking 'hope he fires with a Q or J' you should be thinking 'If I bet the turn he won't fold a Q (maybe a J)'

You will get tons more value if you play this sort of hand this way in the future.

As played your river bet is fine. (I may even go a bit bigger)
  • edited February 2014

probably tried to be too cute, if im barrelling them streets he probably calls all the way so should pay it same when i actually have the goods/

• edited February 2014
    Yeah, have to agree that I bet turn as well. He may well have a hand like AK, or a PP and be calling to see what you do on turn/river, but it is quite possible he will call with a Q or J on turn. Add to that I'd rather bet the turn and him fold than go chck/check and him make a straight from the free card I gave him.

As played and the river bet sizing. It's fine, but not sure why you don't think that looks like a value bet. You put £8 into a £14 pot. I't hardly overbetting it, and I might bet a little more. A bluff would be quite often bigger I think. Yor bet was only actually about 55% of the pot.Hardly a big bet. Sure, a tin value bet might be less than 50%, but think these days peple are so likely to just mash half pot it's not often you see a bet lower than that at river online.
  • edited February 2014
    You gotta bet turn, thats poor play you killed the pot then