You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

bizarre overbet shove

edited February 2014 in The Poker Clinic
any thoughts here people???

Comments

• edited February 2014
    hand history wont post so have to type it, basically blinds at 200/400 my stack 27k villain stack 15.2k, i open from cut of for 800 with KJ, sb calls for 600, flop K 9 6 rainbow, villain donk shoves for 14.8k, what an earth is he doing this with, no history with him what so ever and only 5 mins table time with him.
  • edited February 2014
    Is an odd one. I could see it on a dodgy board and him wanting to take handd down to avoid anyone taking a free card on a draw haevy board, but a dry board like that I can't see what he does this with. Very difficult to call him with a marginal hand like yours, but I don't get what he would shove with here. Any good hand wants paying off, and so if he has a set or AK/KQ it is an odd play.

Part of me wants to look him up given that it's a pretty odd move on a dry board and I wouldn't be surprised to see a weak king, but on another day it's a bad move with strong hand like K9 or KQ. I'd have thought with Ak he 3bets preflop, but thats never certain if you not seen him play at all. Tough one. Fold is likely the right choice, but darn it I would be tempted.
  • edited February 2014
    I've seen this happen so often with two pair hands like 96 or k6. I sigh fold as we haven't invested many chips and still comfy. 
  • edited February 2014
    i ended up calling and he turned over a set of kings, gobsmacked. please note that never in a million years would i call this usually but id busted all my other 7 tourneys and this was my last one and it was the mini which i just couldnt be bothered with so i decided to look him up out of interest. dont no why would anybody would do this with the nuts, if i was playing properly he just loses all value.
  • edited February 2014
    On the face of it looks totally awful, though to be fair to the villain in the long run it probably wins just as many chips as any other bet size you can think of. You called out of curiosity, many others would too, all assuming there's no way it could possibly be the nuts. A horrible way to play poker, but suprisingly effective at the lower buy-ins.

If I pick up pocket AA in the first orbit of a low-stakes Bounty Hunter these days I quite often just go all-in pre regardless of position, previous action, reads on any other players, etc. You get called far more often than you should, and you don't need calls that often to make it a more profitable play than a standard raise. A lot of guys in those games aren't interested in small-ball poker, they just wanna gamble.