You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker Strategy Book Recommendations??

edited February 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys, I was just wondering if any of you had read and would recommend any poker strategy books or had any I should avoid?!
I've recently finished Phil Helmuth's "Play Poker like the Pro's" and found it very useful and I've bought "Small Stakes NLH" by Miller, Metha & Flynn which comes highly recommended.
I currently enjoy success playing 25p/50p CASH NLH on SKYPOKER.
Cheers! 

Comments

• edited February 2014
    For tournaments...

Winning Poker Tournaments: One Hand at a Time  (vol 1, 2 and 3) is the best I've read by far.

The Theory of Poker by Slanksy is a classic for just poker in general.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Poker Strategy Book Recommendations??:
    For tournaments... Winning Poker Tournaments: One Hand at a Time  (vol 1, 2 and 3) is the best I've read by far. The Theory of Poker by Slanksy is a classic for just poker in general.
    Posted by Lambert180
    +1 to this for tounament books. They are very good books.

Not sure I'd be reading Helmouth for cash games, as he is by far not the best cash game player. Dan Harringtons books on cash play are quite useful, though some of the stuff is a little dated when compared to some of the modern online aggresive play, but from a fundamentals point of view they are good to read.

Personally I'd recomend online resources if you ever get serious. Places like cardplayers or 2+2 have a wealth of posts and videos, which can often be better than a dry book, and allows for feedback or the bouncing of ideas off each other. And a lot of top players inmprove their game by working in groups these days.