You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was i right to just flat the flop???

edited February 2014 in The Poker Clinic
the three better in the pot had three bet several times and never got to show down so I didn't know what his three bet range was. I gave him the standard range of AK to QQ with AQ been bottom of his range. the limp caller didn't really bother me as I thought small pair/weak ace. I didn't raise the flop as I thought it had hit my opponent in the face and would probably face a shove from a big ace two pair and sets and thought the best way to get value if my gut shot came in was to call would like ppls thoughts on this please.
 Small blind  30.00 30.00 1070.00
poohellen3 Big blind  60.00 90.00 7240.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

barfoot12 Fold     
batfink336 Raise  180.00 270.00 4630.00
threeputt Raise  300.00 570.00 1700.00
LTRFC Fold     
MEP Call  270.00 840.00 800.00
poohellen3 Fold     
batfink336 Call  120.00 960.00 4510.00
Flop

• A
  • Q

MEP Check     
batfink336 Check     
threeputt Bet  60.00 1020.00 1640.00
MEP Call  60.00 1080.00 740.00
batfink336 Call  60.00 1140.00 4450.00
Turn

• J

MEP Check     
batfink336 Check     
threeputt All-in  1640.00 2780.00 0.00
MEP Fold     
batfink336 Call  1640.00 4420.00 2810.00
batfink336 Show
  • K

threeputt Show
  • A
  • Q

River

batfink336 Win Straight to the Ace 4420.00  7230.00

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Yes-an overbet might have induced a shove!!
  • edited February 2014
    If you really put him on that tight a range preflop then calling with a fairly marginal hand you are considering to be well-dominated would nto be advisable. Only reason to in this spot is the price, but generally this would be a leak OOP to my eyes.

Flop call is fine, and only sensible course against the two of them. His bet is flaky given it is such a ridiculous amount into that size pot, but better to take a cheap card than to raise and get reraised off your gutshot. Rest plays itself.

Biggest lesson in this hand? This is why you don't slow-play hands, and definately not against more than one person.
  • edited February 2014
    cheers kam this is my first post in here hand wise nice to see you can get great indepth honest opions on how a hand was played I do agree about the oop side of it all I was running like god and I think that played a part in the pre flop call lol
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: was i right to just flat the flop???:
    cheers kam this is my first post in here hand wise nice to see you can get great indepth honest opions on how a hand was played I do agree about the oop side of it all I was running like god and I think that played a part in the pre flop call lol
    Posted by batfink336
    You're welcome. Semi-curious as to what your plan was with this hand. IE if you hit a king on the flop and he cbets quite big, you calling? How about as played and he bets half pot or more as a cbet instead of 60 chips?
  • edited February 2014
    Raising this early with this hand is a bit loose but at least you ARE raising. Once you get such a good price 3 way calling is fine as long as you know your not going to get married to any one pair hand. 

Absolutely no reason to do anything but call and be ex static the price is so great! Raising a bluff just opens you to being priced out if you get three bet big (which I'm sure the villain is hoping. Very bad bet IMO 3 way). 

• edited February 2014
    If you really put him on that tight a range preflop then calling with a fairly marginal hand you are considering to be well-dominated would nto be advisable. Only reason to in this spot is the price, but generally this would be a leak OOP to my eyes. Flop call is fine, and only sensible course against the two of them. His bet is flaky given it is such a ridiculous amount into that size pot, but better to take a cheap card than to raise and get reraised off your gutshot. Rest plays itself. Biggest lesson in this hand? This is why you don't slow-play hands, and definately not against more than one person.
    Posted by KAM99
    This. 

Should probably be in the bin pre. Not only is it a potentially dominated hand, and both villains are playing quite short stacks, thus there isn't a huge pot to be won if we flop massive.

Flop onwards plays itself. Awful flop bet, has to be said.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: was i right to just flat the flop??? : You're welcome. Semi-curious as to what your plan was with this hand. IE if you hit a king on the flop and he cbets quite big, you calling? How about as played and he bets half pot or more as a cbet instead of 60 chips?
    Posted by KAM99
    I was willing to call a normal cbet on the flop with just about any flop but when I saw the flop I was working out if I could take it away I didn't expect the limper to call on the flop I didn't think I was winning if I hit a bare king on the flop but would have still called to see the turn and again worked out where to go from there. must having wrote my thoughts down it dose start to sound like a massive leak in my game going to have to look at that I think
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: was i right to just flat the flop??? : I was willing to call a normal cbet on the flop with just about any flop but when I saw the flop I was working out if I could take it away I didn't expect the limper to call on the flop I didn't think I was winning if I hit a bare king on the flop but would have still called to see the turn and again worked out where to go from there. must having wrote my thoughts down it dose start to sound like a massive leak in my game going to have to look at that I think
    Posted by batfink336
    Yeah, that was why I saked the question. I always like to have some plan before the flop with a hand, even though much like a battleplan, it rarely lasts past the first shot. Still, it is good to have one, and certainly like here where you are holding a marginal hand OOP to a reraise.

Certainly if you called a standard cbet here of 50%+ of the pot this would be a leak. You have nothing and are drawing to a gutshot of four outs. You need pot odds of nearly 12:1 to do this. As it was he gave you more than that and so it was fine to call, and his stupid mistake. But definately chasing gutshots to real bets is a big leak, and if you do this you should plug it.